• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does this look weak or am I just over-reacting

197thhhc

This is a pic of a bobbed deuce that was for sale this weak on ebay. I am only putting up this one pic to protect the innocent. I believe the issue with the suspension should be easy to see so I am not going to point it out. I will let the trained eyes of SS members to point it out. Keep in mind the seller bragged about being able to run 75 mph on the interstate ( he is running 53's). auaauaaua

Attachments

Whitey

The channel iron he's using for lift blocks is a might bit tall. I could imagine abrupt side to side movement wouldn't be good for that setup.

-Whitey

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
don't know, just looks like ANOTHER hacked up deuce to make a bobber

armytruck63

I agree about the wimpy looking lift blocks. Is one of them already shifted or bent - could also be misaligned U bolt. The spring shackle mount is welded to the frame and looks like it is lined up with a 1/4-20 low grade bolt.

One rough railroad crossing could ruin several people's day.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those type of lift blocks are used a lot in the off-road world but they should be boxed in on the front and back for more support. Having them drop down to the front and back of the axle is the way to go if you have to use them.

MrM4

I really want to see the front axles, that looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Fully box would be a better option, or even better drop blocks rather then lift blocks. There no extra lateral bracing either. I ran a 1 1/2 inch tube between my full boxed Drop blocks for extra support I would think that thing would have body roll like nobodys business.

Mike O.

I agree about the wimpy looking lift blocks. Is one of them already shifted or bent - could also be misaligned U bolt. The spring shackle mount is welded to the frame and looks like it is lined up with a 1/4-20 low grade bolt.

One rough railroad crossing could ruin several people's day.
Agreed. You can always weld a web of some sort into the block...but welding to the frame...ouch.

Titanium Soldier

Ive seen some dumb setups, worse than this before in the civi truck world, oak 2x4 lift blocks, stacked lift blocks u name it... still this seems pretty bad, shoulda at least made it as wide as the Ubolts, Does anyone else have a "good" picture of how they mounted a rockwell to their bobbed deuce?? I bet there are a few like this out there!

Hoefler

Far side front leaf spring mount is not sitting flush with frame. Load will not transfer to frame member with this gap. He is relying on the bolts to carry load-as opposed to the frame perch.
Maby if he stuffed the gap with some straw and Elmers glue-he might get better load transfer.

plym49

The sad thing is that this truck will probably end up being purchased by some poor soul who does not have a clue about what to look for and who will purchase it because it looks cool.

Then, because it is a bullet-proof military truck, the new owner will take it out for a thrash and gues what is going to happen.

I hope that at least when that suspension fails it is in the middle of a field at low speed with no one near by to get hurt.

197thhhc

Whats sad is that when we bob a deuce to sell we try to go with massive overkill on strength of componants. Alot of other builders do too. But one idiot like this can endanger our whole hobby by getting some unlucky soul killed. The sale ended on Thursday or he took it off. Fortunately I dont think it sold.

Uzaree

I am not a fan of lift blocks period. I've seen solid lift blocks break in half. Build the suspension right the first time.

Here is the saying I have around the shop.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it right the second time!?!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks