• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DogHead Relay Mod Backfire?

usmcpatriot

Thanks M1008driver for the help. I used the tractor relay that the mod called for that one worked for 3 turns of the key. So I replaced it with the ST553. It's six or half dozen of the other.
At the present moment I am jumping the starter relay with a switch....I found a wire I never saw before hanging loosely....A purple wire with a white stripe and a yellow wire together...tested that wire and its 10.25v Anyway thxs. I'll figure it out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a better picture of the "new" wires. Looking thru the wiring diagrams, I'm not seeing anything yet.

Need to see the connector.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep it appears to the neutral safety switch wire that was used on the early versions of the truck. It needs to be attached to the neutral/backup lights switch on top of the steering column.

If it isn't attached, that will cause a not start situation.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From reading the descriptions in the early posts and looking at the Civvy Wiring diagram that Doghead posted, this diagram "should" be what is happening with the "mystery wire"

I do not have an early truck and have not looked at that wiring, so YMMV

Attachments

Last edited:

M1008driver

My understanding about the neutral safety switch is some vehicles will start without one and some will not. Mine starts with it removed. It also controls your backup lights, so you need it working.

I learned all this on this forum. That is why doghead strongly encourages us to keep the information of the same kind all in one thread and not several when we are asking help questions. It is a record for the next person to use when troubleshooting his vehicle.

Peace! :beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding about the neutral safety switch is some vehicles will start without one and some will not. Mine starts with it removed. It also controls your backup lights, so you need it working.
It is that some CUCV trucks HAVE the neutral switch wiring and most do not.

If it has the wiring then it has to be hooked up.

The backup lights share the same switch but are totally separate.

Last edited:

pbrstreetgang

Where should I look next if I am getting no voltage at my starter relay (doghead mod) with key on or off?

I just replaced glow plugs, glow plug relay, underdash relays from CUCV electric

Truck fired up but starter was sluggish almost like batteries were weak. Drove around for a couple of days and then yesterday, home at lunch, went to start and clack. Smoke came from starter underneath.

I dropped starter, replaced solenoid last night.

Now only clicks at underdash relay, no voltage there

Starter switch maybe?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First check and loadtest your batteries. Never start troubleshooting your electrical system until you know for sure your batteries are good. Don't guess. Eveb new batteries can go bad.

At the relay under the dash, the large red wire should have 24v at all times. the small purple and white wire should have 12v only when the key is in the start position

If the red wire has no voltage, check the fusable link on the 24v Positive Terminal Block

Attachments

pbrstreetgang

Ok will yank the batts tomorrow to have tested
Jumped red 24v to purple white on starter relay, and now when
I turn the key i get a click at the under dash relay and now
A click at the starter. New Solenoid will not turn starter over
I will check batts and post back here after

pbrstreetgang

Ok, took batteries to advanced for load test
Batteries registered good but,
Readings were 1017 cca but batteries are rated 750
Cca.

???? Overcharged??

I ran a jump wire from front battery to starter
All I got was sparks

Key turned starter relay clicks, starter clicks
But will not spin

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The starter uses the mounting bolts for a ground. If it isn't connected you have to supply a ground wire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks