• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead starter relay modification - new idea.

CycleJay

Hi all,

I have done so much reading on the doghead starter relay modification.

And as much as I would like to do it, I am a bit hesitant because it is
irreversible, once it is done it is done.

So I am going to work on my own the next few days when I have the time,
to experiment with a new theory I came up with to make it reversible.

JUST in case anyone does want to reverse the modification, for any reason.

So I am willing to take the risk of experimenting, and I will let you all know
my results when I have them.

And please do all of us here a favor, show some respect and do not turn
this into a flame war of any kind. We are all adults here, so let's act like it.
But constructive critisim is always okay.

God bless all of you, have a good night,

CJ

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make a set of short wires with 1/4" blade terminals on one end and ring terminals on the other end. That would work fine. Just adds a few extra contact points that could go bad later.

AceHigh

After I did the mod I took the old relay apart.

Anyone that wants to put that thing back on is a little crazy in my opinion. It is weak in every aspect.

All the mod does is make it so a generic heavy duty relay can be installed.

Personally i like dogheads relay conversion im with ace high why anyone would want to reuse a relay that wasnt ment to be used in the first place is beyond me ($9.99 lawnmower relay able to handle 200 amps or being on the 24 volt system 100 amps $15 bucks at Napa still a cheaper way out than having an $8 dollar relay fry $220 dollars worth of alternators and a $200 starter ill take the $9.99 or the $15 dollar lawnmower relay any day ;] im special i know i rode the shortbus hahah If u want to be diffrent just used the st85 gp relay that u use under the hood it would probably do the same job it would be just louder :beer: Dog heads relay conversion was well thought through for space and amps its your truck but dogheads relay conversion has been tryied and provin to work Good luck cycle jay :]

Last edited:

CycleJay

Hello SouthernSteel,

With all due respect, I do not plan on changing the main aspect of his conversion,
I know it works, so I do not want to change that.

But I just thought of a clean way of making it reversible, just in case anyone out there,
DOES want to go back for any reason.

And when I make my theory work, I will do his mod myself to my own truck.

Have a good night,

CJ

dstang97

Not trying to flame at all, but if you like the OEM relay so much and may change it in the future why don't you leave it how it is? Then it is 100% OEM

CycleJay

Hi,

I do not take it as a flame, and I said I would do the mod myself, I just do not like the irreversible part.

Thanks for the comment.

Good night.

CJ

cpf240

I want to do something like this for the relay mod myself. I don't want to alter the stock harness. My thought was to take apart the original relay and use its base as a connector, adding new wires to run to the suggested Doghead relay.

I have not done it yet, as I don't have a spare original relay.

I'll be looking forward to hearing how your idea turns out!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to do something like this for the relay mod myself. I don't want to alter the stock harness. My thought was to take apart the original relay and use its base as a connector, adding new wires to run to the suggested Doghead relay.

I have not done it yet, as I don't have a spare original relay.

I'll be looking forward to hearing how your idea turns out!
If you dont want to cut any wires, do what I said in post # 2.

You will never go back to an AC40 relay. Permanent and simple is best in my opinion, but do it however you choose.

M1008driver

You are over thinking the mod. Be able to keep the vehicle stock in this area will not make any difference in the resale value. Even if a new person bought your truck he would more than likely make the mod.

So you are trying to maintain the integrity of a part that has been shown to go bad and cost the owner hundreds of dollars in repair.

I respect what you are trying to do, but I can't say I agree with you on this one. I would do the mod.

CycleJay

Hello M1008driver,

Thank you for your post.
But I did not say I would not do Dogheads MOD, I just want it to be reversible.
Just IN case I ever have to get it back to normal, or anyone else for that matter.

So I respect your opinion, and we can respect each other by agreeing to disagree on this subject.

Have a good night,

CJ

Ironhorse

I can see where you are coming from CycleJay. I also have an aversion to making permanent modifications. I think it comes from restoring antique farm equipment. I plan to do the Doghead mod soon myself and will consider the adapter wires. Doghead's mod is a great improvement, but who knows what a future owner may want years later. This way should someone want to "restore" it, they can.

CycleJay

Hello Ironhorse,

Thank you for seeing my point. I am not against doing dogheads mod,
just the permanency of it.
I am not concerned about resale value, or selling it, I like it too much to sell it.
It has grown on me like green lichen on the north side of a tree.. LOL

I just like keep every vehicle I own as stock as possible..

Thanks, Good night,

CJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks