• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dot 5 Brake and Clutch Fluid - Hard to find

peakbagger

Note sure if its just a local thing, but during my annual "start the SEE after the winter" routine my clutch reservoir was nearly empty (as usual). I went to refill it and ran out. I stopped by the local car place and it was backordered and had been for awhile. I went on Amazon and ordered the last one of their lowest cost plus they were out of stock for a couple of the lowest cost alternatives. I have seen this before and it usually means the market may be "tight" for this product. Not sure where it goes over the winter but then again I have leaky dipper cylinder that also tends to leak over the winter. Once filled its fine for the season.

BTW as usual , the fuel system lost prime over the winter. I didnt even try to turn it over, I just pumped the primer about 50 times and felt the pressure on it increase until I heard the injector pump fuel pressure relief release. I then cranked it over and it started up at low idle stumbling a bit. I then pumped it about 20 times more and it started running well. If its like past years it will start instantly until I park it next fall.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have several gallons of DOT 5 I purchased on Ebay for a cheap price. When I see it advertised with a low price, I buy it. My local auto parts stores all carry DOT 5 in stock, but the price is very high.

peakbagger

I got i the habit over the years of buying brake fluid in small containers as it as hydroscopic. I dont think DOT 5 is so I picked up a gallon.