• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT 5?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey, is this the proper DOT 5 fluid for the deuce?, I want to go through all my trucks and flush the systems.

MIL-PRF-46176B: Brake Fluid, Silicone, Automotive, All Weather, Operational and Preservative. This specification covers silicone based hydraulic brake fluid for use in hydraulic brake systems at ambient temperatures ranging from +55C to –55C. The fluid is identified by military symbol BFS and NATO code # H-547.
Our part #:
MIL-PRF-46176B-P
MIL-PRF-46176B-Q
MIL-PRF-46176B-G
MIL-PRF-46176B-PL
MIL-PRF-46176B-D

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
One more question, the DOT 5 stuff I saw at Napa said NOT to use with disc brakes, yet in some of the GL auction pics of CUCV's I have seen the Master Cylinder stenciled "Silicone Only"...........

jimm1009

My '84 M1009 CUCV had a master cyclinder lid stamped DOT 5 Only on it when I took it away from Uncle Sam in '95. I have kept DOT 5 fluid in it and have never had any cylinder leaks or problems with moisture. I have done brake work and bled the fuid from time to time but only about every 5 years or so. I drive my unit every day to work and sometimes weekends too. Probably put about 90,000 miles on it since '95. Nothing like a truck in Louisiana in the summer without AC!
Jim

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
jimm1009 said:
My '84 M1009 CUCV had a master cyclinder lid stamped DOT 5 Only on it when I took it away from Uncle Sam in '95. I have kept DOT 5 fluid in it and have never had any cylinder leaks or problems with moisture. I have done brake work and bled the fuid from time to time but only about every 5 years or so. I drive my unit every day to work and sometimes weekends too. Probably put about 90,000 miles on it since '95. Nothing like a truck in Louisiana in the summer without AC!
Jim
Thanks Jim!

Sarge

Two types of DOT 5

Okay, I'll try to jump in here and confuse the issue.
There are two types of DOT5, NAPA carries them both.
There is DOT 5 which is a silicone based product. It is the only brake fluid used in military tactical vehicles since the 80's.
There is also DOT5.1 which is not used by the military in any application.
DOT5.1 is very similar to DOT3 and DOT4 but has a higher boiling point. It is commonly used in NASCAR and other high performance applications. DOT5.1 is hygroscopic, meaning it mixes uniformly with water.
There are pro's and con's to using hygroscopic brake fluid. The main pro is that because water is absorbed, there are no bubbles of water that can boil off at 212 degrees giving you total brake failure.
The main pro in using DOT5 fluid is that it is very robust, it can withstand years of abuse will only fail if you get large amounts of water into your brake system. A military tactical vehicle normally has a sealed system, not vented, or when vented then protected from water ingestion.
If this is too much information, then here is the bottom line:
If your M-series vehicle left the military in the last 20 years, then it should have Silicone DOT5 in it.
Easiest way to double check is to take a small amount out of your master cylinder, put it in a clear glass. Pour a small amount of DOT3 or DOT4 into the glass. If you had DOT5 in your system, you will see that they will not mix in the glass.
Or, you could pour a small amount of DOT5 into the glass. If you had DOT5 originally in your system, they will mix fine.
Okely-dokely, as usual, if I've flubbed up this explanation, feel free to correct me!
-Sarge

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Two types of DOT 5

Ok, I got a quote from a sponser for $305.00 for a 5 gal pail, plus shipping........61.00 a gallon???? I think I can get it at Napa for less than that. Or am I out of line? I recall reading a thread here that said someone here had a good deal on this stuff. Anyone know who else has this?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Two types of DOT 5

gimpyrobb said:
We have a classified add here that sells for less. I would go that route.
Has anyone here purchased brake fluid from the guy in the SS classified section?, if so any feedback?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Two types of DOT 5

I did but not via the classified. I found the same guy on Ebay selling the stuff starting at $10.50 a gallon and $10 to ship.In the auctions I participated it stated that the successful bidder could purchase additional gallons at the closing price. It took me 4 or 5 auctions but I finally won one at the opening bid. I bought 6 gallons at $20.50 each delivered. A couple of days later a stack of flat rate boxes showed up on my doorstep.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Two types of DOT 5

Sounds like it was good. I don't know Kenny to pull any punches. If it was not satisfactory, I'm sure he would have said so.

poppop

I bought two gallons also and they came in super fast. Have not used any yet but is in Mil cans so should be fine. I am satisfied. Much cheaper than NAPA.

FormerNewMVGuy

I bought dot 5 , By the gallon from sprucemountain surplus. for 30 bucks a gallon, good deal and a good product! Plus don seems like a good guy to deal with.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've not opened a jug yet but they are still sealed and should be fine.

FreightTrain

Banned

I hope he still has it when I get a couple paychecks in the bank.I wanna buy enough for the quantity discount.Never can have enough Dot 5 laying around.never know when you might need to rebuild the brakes......or service a new aquisition.....and I plan on starting a side business buying and selling truck to compete with wrecker....Top Shelf Deece!