• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Double Towing?

papercu

I vote NO. I'm not sure that even the M105 is legal in CA so I don't know how much attention I would want to attract. Wayne
Breakaway switches are also required for any trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more and manufactured after December 31, 1955.
Towing Your Trailer Safely

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone once posted about doubling up 2 M105 trailers and had to use ratchet straps between each trailers to reduce the sway enough to be able to move along at speed. Something I would not have put over an open forum for the world to read. With that said, I would consider your thought as a pretty big risk as it adds yet another pivot point.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would 'vote' to put the car in the back of the deuce! My Corolla rode from Atlanta to Columbia in the back of my M36 and had almost five feet to spare. The Scion is shorter, and should easily fit in the back of a regular deuce. You just need to have ramps at both ends of the trip.

MDSA

I pulled 2 M332 ammo trailers behind a Deuce 300+ miles from Richmond on interstates at 50mph no problem, but they are designed to be pulled tandem. I would be very leary of pulling a car behind a 105.2cents

ida34

Some states do not allow dual trailers at all. Not sure about California but I would say it is not legal based on the amount of restrictive legislation that I do know about in California. In Michigan, recreational duals (not commercial) require a driver's license endorsement and are restricted to a trailer attached to a fifth wheel or goose neck trailer.

Snarky

I've seen people tow a boat, behind a camp trailer, behind a pickup: both 5th wheel camp trailers and ball hitch camp trailers, but those are pretty firm hitch points and the trailers have computer controlled brakes.

Semi trucks tow tandem trailers all the time, with multiple pivot points: you have a 5th wheel, a pintle dolly, and another 5th wheel. All of the vehicles involved have brakes though and the trailers are long and heavy which don't allow for any weird physics like the M-105 might.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to try it how about putting up a video of it going down the road.

You know, just in case.

;-)

KaiserM109

My late father had 2 patents on trailer hitches and I did the mathematical modeling (what would be computer simulation today) for them. There are 2 primary factors in towing a trailer:
1. The location of the pivot point (the ball or the pintle) relative to the towing axle. In the case of duel towing axles, use the center between the axles as a reference point.
2. The distance from the pivot point to the axle of the trailer.

First, you want the pivot point to be FORWARD of the towing axle, if at all possible. If it can’t be forward, you want it as close as possible. Look at over-the-road trucks. Except for a few home brew rigs, on a duel axle truck the 5th wheel is mounted between the axles, but closer to the front. In the case of a single axle it is in front of the axle a few inches. To understand why, consider the extreme example, a truck with a long distance from the towing axle to the pivot point (i.e. 26’ rental truck): when the truck starts into a turn, the pivot point initially moves in the opposite direction. If circumstances are right, such as soft sidewalls on tires, etc it can start oscillations. During our studies I researched almost 100 incidents where a crash resulted from an undampened oscillation.

When you setup a “gooseneck” trailer, the ideal position for the hitch is a little forward of the axle, but at least half of the ones I have seen, including “professionally installed” ones, are on top of or behind it. It is a matter of degrees just how important it is. “Professionally installed” just means the guy charged for his services.

Second, you want the distance from the pivot point to the axle of the trailer to be as long as possible. This tends to dampen any oscillations that start. Very often boat trailers tow better than others for this reason. This is also why a gooseneck pivoting behind the axle usually does okay anyway. A gooseneck trailer is usually long with duel axles, both of which help to dampen oscillations.

To the business of duel trailers: UPS hauls lots of double and triple trailers with pintle connections. I have OFTEN followed one where the middle trailer is oscillating. They are apparently able to manage it because the pintle is very close to the axle towing it.

In the case of an ammo trailer the pintle is close to the axle. In the case of an M105 with a pintle added on the back, which to the best of my knowledge the Army has never done, the distance from the axle to the pintle is excessive. It could cause whatever is behind the M105 to oscillate. Because of the size of your truck or the M105 you probably would not even know it or be able to do anything about it if you did.

The only way I know of to stop an undampened oscillation of a trailer is to put the towing vehicle into a shallow turn, count 1 second and hit the brakes hard. Can you imagine doing that in a deuce hauling an M105 and a car dollie?

I appologize if this got a bit long, but I hope this might help someone be a little more safe when setting up trailers.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Don't do this at home. We are trained professionals (See earlier comment about the definition of "professional").

PS to Kenny, I like your comment about the need for chlorine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks