• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Downshifting question

mjtracy

I was reading the Multi-Fuel Operators "comic book", and read that you should should not downshift to slow down for stopping.

I was always taught to do this in a "regular" vehicle.

What do you other drivers typically do?

Thanks,

Mark

gungearz

Not sure, I've downshifted mine for over a year.... Never any problems.... Maybe they want u to treat slow stops like quick stops.... When your slowing down and start to feel the gear pull, hit the clutch until you get to a stop, then start from first all over again... Let's see what most have to say....

duecedodger

I have read that comic also. I didn't understand that don't down shift thing either, maybe they mean if your going at a high rate of speed don't shift in to second to burn the clutch...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The reason they say don't downshift is that most new drivers do not know how, this leads to tore up trans, overspeed, twisted drivelines, ect, ect. In the military it is easer/cheaper to say "DO NOT" then it is to traln how to do something.

Down shifting won't hurt a thing as long as you KNOW how and watch over speed, I down shift the 819 75% of the time, almost never use the brakes

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with 73m819 but years ago when I took my two week CDL training they also taught not to downshift when you were coming to a stop.

DieselBob

TM 9-2320-361-10 clearly states to downshift when slowing down or stopping.

"PLACING THE VEHICLE IN MOTION (Contd)
DOWNSHIFTING TRANSMISSION
When transmission gearshift lever (2) is in positions “3–5” (THIRD through FIFTH
OVERDRIVE), and vehicle needs to be slowed or stopped, the transmission must be
downshifted.
When driving vehicle forward down steep grades, the transmission may be
downshifted to slow vehicle. Pump service brake pedal (4) as necessary to control vehicle
speed."

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going down a long steep grade, you MUST downshift. If you lose your brakes you will have no way of maintaining control of your speed. Those "comic" books did on occaision post bad info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should always be in the correct gear, for your speed(this means downshifting as you decelerate).

You should not use the engine to decelerate the truck(is what the TM meant). Use your brakes.

Captaincarrier

I was instructed the gear required for going up a hill is the gear recommended to use for going down the hill. If you need third to go up, then use third coming down. Downshifting was necessary to reserve the brakes from overheating. Downshifting while it is not an art, it must be applied correctly. Too many rev's, there goes tranny's, engines, etc. These old trucks are just that, old trucks. Very heavy, can't stop on a dime and will break what ever they hit. I downshift on my trucks, my motorcycle, my car and my riding mower. The only thing I don't downshift on is my trawler, there I approach very slowly, then coast, then use reverse to slow forward movement. I treat the Deuce and the trawler the same, don't aim at anything you can't afford to buy.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Downshifting, like split shifting, is a learned art. Unless you were raised in a straight shift you will scratch a few gears before you master the art. I am of the opinion that you should downshift if loaded to save wear and tear on the brakes. If you are empty you can skip downshifting unless you are going down a steep grade.

sandcobra164

I don't usually downshift my truck when coming to a stop. If I hit a grade that it doesn't like, I ease off the throttle, rev match for the next lower gear and ease it in without use of the clutch. My truck has a weak synchro for 4th and that seems to work the best for it. As for slowing down to anything 4th can't handle, I've actually never tried it as I'm usually coming to a stop. A buddy of mine has driven this truck quite a few times. He downshifts each gear when coming to a slow or stop. Almost "into the basement" which is truck driver lingo for when you flip the airswitch on the front of a Class 8 rig downward to engage the lower gears. The only one he doesn't try to engage on my truck is 1st when downshifting which is good because all he would hear is GGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNCCCCCHHHHHUUUUNNNKKK as it either has no synchro or it's completely gone in 1st. He at least double clutches which is evident by a puff of black smoke from a throttle blip accompanied by the motor moaning when he gets it in the lower gear but he's driven stuff without synchros at all.

Me, I just put it in neutral and use the brakes. If someone tells you the brakes on a Deuce aren't good, tell them the brakes on Their Deuce are not good. Mine can lock the tires at 45 mph on pavement. Stock single circuit system using the drum brakes that came on the truck. If they tell you the parking brake is no good, I'll agree.

welldigger

I don't usually downshift my truck when coming to a stop. If I hit a grade that it doesn't like, I ease off the throttle, rev match for the next lower gear and ease it in without use of the clutch. My truck has a weak synchro for 4th and that seems to work the best for it. As for slowing down to anything 4th can't handle, I've actually never tried it as I'm usually coming to a stop. A buddy of mine has driven this truck quite a few times. He downshifts each gear when coming to a slow or stop. Almost "into the basement" which is truck driver lingo for when you flip the airswitch on the front of a Class 8 rig downward to engage the lower gears. The only one he doesn't try to engage on my truck is 1st when downshifting which is good because all he would hear is GGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNCCCCCHHHHHUUUUNNNKKK as it either has no synchro or it's completely gone in 1st. He at least double clutches which is evident by a puff of black smoke from a throttle blip accompanied by the motor moaning when he gets it in the lower gear but he's driven stuff without synchros at all.

Me, I just put it in neutral and use the brakes. If someone tells you the brakes on a Deuce aren't good, tell them the brakes on Their Deuce are not good. Mine can lock the tires at 45 mph on pavement. Stock single circuit system using the drum brakes that came on the truck. If they tell you the parking brake is no good, I'll agree.
1st and reverse are not synchronized. I won't attempt either of those gears unless I am completely stopped before shifting. Even then I feather it into gear. If I let it find the gear on its own it drops in no problem. If try and force it the truck tells me its displeasure with my actions with a very audible grind.

Flyingvan911

I downshift. Being at the right speed before shifting into the next lower gear is the key. I can usually double clutch to shift into first but your going so slow anyway, why bother if you are coming to a complete stop. Be careful and practice. If I'm in bumper to bumper traffic I don't bother. If I have lots of room I will downshift.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I downshift with double clutching and rev matching. Habit. Seems to work just fine as long as one is aware of the max. speeds for the individual gears. The military wisely provided these on the little data plate in front of the steering wheel.
No synchro in first. It is possible to downshift into first when you double clutch...but...why? Even in second you are so slow you might as well stop.

What I do miss, on occasion, is an exhaust brake...

mbehne

I also downshift when slowing down. It's just a force of habit for me but I know a few who couldn't chew gum and drive safely.

Ford Mechanic

I also down shift when coming to a stop. I double clutch when upshifting especially the 1-2 but haven't figured out the double clutch down shift.

ptg530C

Read the manual and try to understand that these are not FORDS. These "hyper-kinetic" diesels are engineered different than the junk FORD sells. That also explains why they don't rust out after 5 years.

Ford Mechanic

Read the manual and try to understand that these are not FORDS. These "hyper-kinetic" diesels are engineered different than the junk FORD sells. That also explains why they don't rust out after 5 years.
Well aware of these point that's why I bought one, and I don't recall anything in the manual about double clutching but I may be wrong..... My comment was on topic and not really ment as a question.

Your Ford rant and percived disparaging remark was entirely off topic and uncalled for as did not add to the topic being discussed and was unwarranted by anything I posted.

Last edited: