• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Downshifting question

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the engine applies very little drag, since it has no throttle plate, so there is almost nothing to be gained by downshifting other than clutch wear. the brakes on the other hand are very substancial for this sized truck and will stop you just fine. downshifting from 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 should not require doudle clutching as the syncros are very robust and the rpm change is small, going into 2 from 3 it may help a little in situations where you are then going to accelerate without stopping. you should never attempt to shift into 1st or rev unless at a complete stop as this can cause serious trans damage.

Steaminjim

I agree with both welldigger and M-35Tom. The diesel does not produce near the engine breaking of a gas engine and therefore should not be relied upon for downhill breaking that one can get with a gas engine truck. And right again it helps to ease it into gear rather than just stuffing it into the gear you want. I was taught that there is and art to downshifting and that properly done it can extend the life of the drivetrain.
I don't automatically downshift in every situation as Brakes are cheaper and easier to change than a clutch but I will certantly get it into the right gear (same up hill as down hill) before I start down.

mjtracy

Great input from all, thanks. One funny thing about heading downhill in the deuce comes from when I recovered mine. The route back home was through the Tehachapi pass (4000') down to the valley (200'). My dad asked me how the brakes did on the way down. I said "What brakes? I had to stay on the throttle the whole time!".

welldigger

As mentioned by several already, I only downshift to match my gear with my speed. Not to slow myself down. The biggest problem I see with downshifting is with a novice driver missing a gear and severely over revving the engine. This is also very hard on clutches. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of having done that exact thing. But, with anything practicing helps a lot. Mistakes will happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks