• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drash/GET Perkins 20KW no fuel problem

anthkey

You would probably have to get that from the engine manufacturer directly. If the fuel rail does not move left you will never get fuel to the injectors. Governor module is in the control box upper left. The control panel folds open.
In one manual ... say's it's a Perkins diesel motor.. any idea on a model #

therooster2001

is there a detail disassembly of the injectors and that area.? cant find in the TM,s... I downloaded and printed the 2 TM's you posted...
Have you tried the basics?

Enough fuel? - 10 gallons
Clean fuel - did you drain it? Does it have water in it?
Tried to prime it? - Use the bulb.
Fuel filter and inline clean? - usually this is after you get some life from it.
Does it get electricity to the panel? Do the glow plugs work?

I think I missed the original problem, can you explain a bit more?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the fuel rail will not release its possible one of the mechanical injection pumps is stuck down a bit. This can make it tough to get the pump bank out also. Sometimes you can pull the upper lines and fill each one with break free to soak it free. You may be able to peek in the solenoid hole with an inspection cam and see whats going on.

anthkey

If the fuel rail will not release its possible one of the mechanical injection pumps is stuck down a bit. This can make it tough to get the pump bank out also. Sometimes you can pull the upper lines and fill each one with break free to soak it free. You may be able to peek in the solenoid hole with an inspection cam and see whats going on.
tks.... we'll give that a shot....

shawnshumvee

Got it all put back together and it runs PERFECT! But have a few questions. It runs at 180 degrees is this normal? and can the heating coils be replaced ( see pictures) if so where can the be bought? And how do i tell if the ECU is out of freon?

IMG_3010.jpgIMG_3024.jpgIMG_3025.jpgIMG_3011.jpgIMG_3012.jpgIMG_3063.jpgIMG_3064.jpgIMG_3069.jpgIMG_3058.jpg

anthkey

Got it all put back together and it runs PERFECT! But have a few questions. It runs at 180 degrees is this normal? and can the heating coils be replaced ( see pictures) if so where can the be bought? And how do i tell if the ECU is out of freon?

View attachment 684007View attachment 684008View attachment 684009View attachment 684010View attachment 684011View attachment 684012View attachment 684013View attachment 684015View attachment 684014
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?166639-Applied-20kw-gen-hvac-trailer-manuals

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
All the refrig is removed. You need to vac it down for a few hours, see if it holds the vac and then recharge per data plate. Was it a stuck injection pump? The heater coils you would prob have to get from Applied. The heat is minimal at best when it works I dont think its worth spending any money on.

shawnshumvee

All the refrig is removed. You need to vac it down for a few hours, see if it holds the vac and then recharge per data plate. Was it a stuck injection pump? The heater coils you would prob have to get from Applied. The heat is minimal at best when it works I dont think its worth spending any money on.
I never had an issue with an injected pump? I just picked it up from the base and put all the fluids back in her hooked all the hoses back up and it fired up! Nevertheless, any idea what the cost on something like this win it comes to a recharge? Ballpark?
thanks

Last edited:

shawnshumvee

Quick question. I was heard that military Generator are met to last for 10,000 hours? Does that mean 10,000 problem free or 10,000 hours period! I have A 2010 G.E.T.T (Generator ECU Tent Trailer) with 1500 hours, and a Perkins Turbo Diesel 2.2L stuck inside. Is this set up the same bird (When its all said and done) subject to the same result? I don't know if that information (10,000 Hours life) was old and out dated? I'm just new to these things but learning fast!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having an engine with a service life of 10k hours isn't the same thing as MTBF (mean time between failures). Those numbers can be harder to come by. From what I've read around you can see studies done on this kind of stuff. One I read listed the MEP-831 as the least reliable set in the current inventory with a MTBF of just a few hundred hours. The 802/3 machines if I'm remembering this correctly were in the 1200-1500 hour range for MTBF.

The 10k figure that is most often tossed around is the service life of the engine between rebuilds. That can obviously vary wildly based on care and conditions. I've read where the Lister Petter engines like the ones in the 802/3 (variable speed variant) have lasted a very long time in sail boats.

The alternators in the generators are significantly overbuilt and should easily last 10k hours minus the occasional bearing failure. Relays and other mechanical items will be the things with a shorter MTBF. Fuel system parts especially elastomers will also be the bigger sources of downtime.

While I think its is possible to get 10k trouble free hours of out one of the generators the more likely number is 2k. That doesn't mean the failure is terminal. Just something that needs attention and could keep the set from being mission ready.

shawnshumvee

Having an engine with a service life of 10k hours isn't the same thing as MTBF (mean time between failures). Those numbers can be harder to come by. From what I've read around you can see studies done on this kind of stuff. One I read listed the MEP-831 as the least reliable set in the current inventory with a MTBF of just a few hundred hours. The 802/3 machines if I'm remembering this correctly were in the 1200-1500 hour range for MTBF.

The 10k figure that is most often tossed around is the service life of the engine between rebuilds. That can obviously vary wildly based on care and conditions. I've read where the Lister Petter engines like the ones in the 802/3 (variable speed variant) have lasted a very long time in sail boats.

The alternators in the generators are significantly overbuilt and should easily last 10k hours minus the occasional bearing failure. Relays and other mechanical items will be the things with a shorter MTBF. Fuel system parts especially elastomers will also be the bigger sources of downtime.

While I think its is possible to get 10k trouble free hours of out one of the generators the more likely number is 2k. That doesn't mean the failure is terminal. Just something that needs attention and could keep the set from being mission ready.
Ok. thanks for that info. So whats your opinion on the perkins engine?

Last edited:

therooster2001

I never had an issue with an injected pump? I just picked it up from the base and put all the fluids back in her hooked all the hoses back up and it fired up! Nevertheless, any idea what the cost on something like this win it comes to a recharge? Ballpark?
thanks
Vacuum pump $50-120
Gauges $40-120
R407C (MAKE SURE ITS THAT REFRIGERANT, other stuff is more expensive.) - $160
Scale - $80-300

I did all of mine, with help, for the low marks above.

Or pay someone who has the skills - I bet they'd charge at least $500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks