• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drash/ HDT Fun

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked in the tm section under Generators and Misc, and trailers and did not find what i was looking for.
I need TM 11-8340-250-12&p.

I bought this unit a year ago and just now decided to mess with it. Mostly did not play with it because the giant tent sections block the back door to the Generator. So this thing is a 2013 has 600 hours. I know the HVAC unit does not have r407c as it says its been removed. so that will be for another day. 18kw Generator 3 phase. DRMO had Red x's on all sides and i see now GOV planet has increased starting prices of them more than what i paid total.

Anyway all fluids except Coolant were drained. Batteries are probably toast. I tried charging through the NATO plug when i got it, but did not work. I have 2 12v chargers on the batteries now, but usually they do not come back Group 34 AGM batteries surprisingly not Optima's this time. added oil and Diesel. brought over a good running mep 802a with slave cable and followed the start up procedure on the door. She sputter and puffed a little smoke till the air came out of the fuel system and she sprang to life. This is one quiet unit.

My thoughts on the unit will probably to never use the tent, but maybe cut a hole in my shop and help with the heat or air system when i am working in there or send it down the road. Just fun when they fire right up. Tomorrow I will be painting over the red x's just for.

Last edited:

2Pbfeet

I have looked in the tm section under Generators and Misc, and trailers and did not find what i was looking for. I need TM 11-8340-250-12&p. I bought this unit a year ago and just now decided to mess with it. Mostly did not play with it because the giant tent sections block the back door to the Generator. So this thing is a 2013 has 600 hours. I know the HVAC unit does not have r407c as it says its been removed. so that will be for another day. 16kw Generator 3 phase. DRMO had Red x's on all sides and i see now GOV planet has increased starting prices of them more than what i paid total. Anyway all fluids except Coolant were drained. Batteries are probably toast. I tried charging through the nato plug when i got it, but did not work. I have 2 12v chargers on the batteries now, but usually they do not come back Group 34 AGM batteries surprisingly not Optimas this time. added oil and Diesel. brought over a good running mep 802a with slave cable and followed the start up procedure on the door. She sputter and puffed a little smoke till the air came out of the fuel system and she sprang to life. This is one quiet unit. My thoughts on the unit will probably to never use the tent, but maybe cut a hole in my shop and help with the heat or air system when i am working in there or send it down the road. Just fun when they fire right up. Tomorrow I will be painting over the red x's just for.
Have you tried Gunk-Off or graffiti remover first?

FWIW: Gunk-Off removed a bunch of surface crud from my MEP, and didn't appear to touch the CARC underneath. A few minutes with a paper towel took some baked on adhesive, remind of Govplanet stickers, and a bunch of non-CARC spray paint covering up IDs.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red paint on Tan carc is tough to get off and i just bought a case of Rustoleum camo Tan that matches very well. Homedepot delivered it for free for 5 dollars a can so not worried about using a little paint. A razor has been the only thing that has worked for stickers on all the other Carc painted stuff thats around here, but they are still some tough stickers.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried that Rustoleum tan yet? I went out of my way to get some for my trailer, cuz I generally find Rustoleum to be some of the best spray paint commonly available. It was awful, developed huge cracks no matter what I tried, and several cans had nozzle problems 1/2 way through. Looked at reviews, and found out I guess I shoulda looked at reviews before I went out of my way to get it.

I ended up buying a few cans of Krylon, which I'm generally not a fan of at all. But I think maybe they labeled these cans backwards or something, cuz the Krylon camo paint seems to be great.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will give it a try tomorrow. not too worried about it. i have the expensive Rayco paint if i need it, but mostly bought this paint for the troop seat area on my LMTV to cover up the fiber glass slivers i keep getting in my arms

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too Wet and cold yesterday to paint, but today had a little time after work. to paint over the red x and black writing on the panel forgive the run in the paint i was in a hurry.
Whole unit needs a pressure wash so probably all that will be painted this winter.
Picture of before and after of the panel and others enjoy

20231122_171808.jpg20231122_171824.jpg20231122_172626.jpg20231122_172643.jpg20231122_172654.jpg20231122_173523.jpg

Poccur

Too Wet and cold yesterday to paint, but today had a little time after work. to paint over the red x and black writing on the panel forgive the run in the paint i was in a hurry. Whole unit needs a pressure wash so probably all that will be painted this winter. Picture of before and after of the panel and others enjoy
Looks like a TMSS medium, should be an 18kW with Isuzu engine and a 5 ton ECU/Air Conditioner....
Can you do a close up picture of the data plate down on the chassis by the tow hitch? From that I can tell you the exact model..

jamawieb

Where did you get the unit? Ive bought a few out of PA and all had a hole in the ac compressor to release the freon. Pain to fix. I dont understand why they would have drilled a hole in the compressor to demil them.

Poccur

Where did you get the unit? Ive bought a few out of PA and all had a hole in the ac compressor to release the freon. Pain to fix. I dont understand why they would have drilled a hole in the compressor to demil them.
That would also be illegal...venting rather than recovering the refrigerant will put them on the naughty list for sure....

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They likely used a self piercing needle valve like the one below to tap into the line and extract the Freon safely. You can place the valve in under a minute.
Looks like exactly what they did on my unit. on the coil not the compressor so i think it can just be brazed shut. I will let everyone know

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very high quality spray paint in lots of colors is Montana, sold by dickblick.com.

It has a real high pigment load with premium solvent, and custom nozzles are available.

Not cheap, but neither is reworking a bad job.

You'll never go back to Krylon or Rustoleum.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So This Whole thing has kinda gone south. After finding the hole in the Condenser Unit i was informed by my coworkers who are HVAC TEch that this unit is not going to be worth fixing due to Moisture from being open to the atmosphere. They said i could charge it and probably run it for a while but that oil would be contaminated with water and create acid. so at this point the Generator may come off the trailer and scrap the rest. We shall see what i decide to do.

2Pbfeet

So This Whole thing has kinda gone south. After finding the hole in the Condenser Unit i was informed by my coworkers who are HVAC TEch that this unit is not going to be worth fixing due to Moisture from being open to the atmosphere. They said i could charge it and probably run it for a while but that oil would be contaminated with water and create acid. so at this point the Generator may come off the trailer and scrap the rest. We shall see what i decide to do.
Not to throw shade on your HVAC techs, but I would file it under "maybe". It could get hooked up to a high vacuum pump for a couple days to dry it out, and there are ways to drain, flush and replace the oil. Whether that is worth it/important to you is a different issue. If it were mine, I would probably do it, but I would add in a dryer with a filter to catch any debris that might be in there and /or slough off. Vacuum pumps on Amazon aren't expensive, and generic parts for adding service valves / dryers are readily available. Getting the Freon for it could be pricey unless there is an upgrade route. (I have no experience with the DRASH units).

All the best,

2Pbfeet

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a all the Hvac tools and the R407c to put back in it. but Just going to see how much hassle all of this is. Also with this being Winter its not enough ambiant heat outside to really get the moisture out. Edit. just realized the Compressor has had a hole drilled in it as well, so i guess i will end this thread and probably scrap everything but the generator. Thanks for all the replys

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks