• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

drivers liscence, getting plates for a deuce?

mikes47jeep

Hi all

I did a search and came up empty handed

Has anyone put a deuce on the road in PA with regular tags?

Were they regular tags or did they have to be commercial?

Would I need a class A or B to drive with a full load?

I'm looking to be able to haul a M3 scout car, (6 ton) using an eager beaver trailer, or something that could handle 6 ton

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

regards

Mike

gunboy1656

I had regular plates on mine for a while, cost me 330+ bucks a year. I think you are also pushing the tow limit on a deuce with that combination.

Last edited:

TexAndy

I don't live in Pennsylvania... however, I believe many, if not most, of the States have the same rules regarding Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and combined gvwr limits.

At least in Texas, the deuce by itself does not meet the minimum GVWR of 26k for a CDL. The truck has an on-road rating of 10k pounds. Weighs 13k pounds. GVWR = 23k. 3k more in weight or capacity and it would be right at the CDL required GVWR limit.

Pulling almost any kind of trailer would for sure put you over the limit here. I'd be willing to bet PA is similar.

mikes47jeep

well the CDL really isnt the issue, ( 2 memebers of the re-enactor unit already have Class B, and im looking to get my class A)

the issue is can it haul it?

and how much would it cost to put on the road?

Kohburn

from another thread

From TM 43-0001-31

Nomenclature: TRUCK, CARGO: 2 1/2 Ton, 6x6
Weight: 13,700 lb
Payload: 10,350 lb, Off Road: 7,000 lb

The GVWR would be 13700 lb + 10350 lb = 24050 lb

gunboy1656

Look on the DMV's website there is a chart for whatever GVW you want on the truck. I had them title my truck at 17K. I dont remember the weights off the top of my head.

GVWR is defined as weight plus capacity. Not weight plus load.

A deuce has a GVWR of something like 23k pounds. Empty or full, doesn't matter.
You are correct, I should not have used the deuce for the example. I was just trying to show the limits for CDL.
I found this definition, right or wrong, that uses tongue weight for GVWR not loaded trailer weight.

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

G-Force

You are correct, I should not have used the deuce for the example. I was just trying to show the limits for CDL.
I found this definition, right or wrong, that uses tongue weight for GVWR not loaded trailer weight.

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

C'mon Drgreg........what does the weight of your "Tongue" have to do with the hauling capacity of a deuce?????:mrgreen:

gunboy1656

According to the fees chart for PA:

class 8 truck (21,001 - 26,000) is 405 dollars a year

trailers over 10,000 pounds is 27 a year or 135 permanent..

So yearly your looking at 432 bucks.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In CA any vehicle over 6000lb gross that has a third axle requires the B CDL. Check all the fine print in PA just to err on this side of caution.

Akicita

Don't confuse the need for a CDL with the need for a license to drive vehicles with a GVWR in excess of 26,000 lbs, or combinations. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. This issue has been discussed over and over again in some of the RV groups I belong to. Even some DVM or DOT employees get confused.

A CDL is a commercial driver's license. You need that to legally drive a commercial vehicle.

A Pennsylvania class "C" license is limited to the 26,000 lbs GVWR several other posters have already mentioned in this thread.

I have a motorhome that weighs more than 26,000 lbs, is registered and insured as a recreational vehicle (RV), and I drive it for recreational purposes. The RV is not used in any commercial application.

I have a Penna. class "B" license that covers me for the extra weight over 26,000 lbs. This is not a CDL class "B". Some states do not offer the non-CDL class B but Penna. does.

Now back to the original question. The Deuce weighs less than 26,000. To drove it here, all you need is a Penna. class C license. I would be concerned if I wanted to pull such a heavy trailer - not because of the Deuce's pulling power but because of its unimpressive stopping power. If the trailer's GVWR is over 10,000 lbs, you need to get a Penna. class A license.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks