• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft cpmpatibility...

AnimalMuther

First of all it's a pleasure to finally be a true member of your forum and look forward to contribute future technical insight as my ownership of a MV progresses. So I've recently purchased my first m1008 and am truly in love, she runs beautifully and is exactly as I expected, however, at about 45 MPH she starts shaking worse than any death wobble I've experienced, I got underneath it and discovered that the driveshaft is slightly bent (guessing from forklift loaders at a previous gov lot) and I was wonder what driveshafts could fit if I just went with a local junkyard ie. 3/4 tons, longbeds, any later years?

Thanks

DY

Dabba

Althought i cant tell you for sure, unless its a direct swap from another m1008. I would bring it to a local d-shaft shop and just get it retubed, its not that much. and WELCOME

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any mid-80's 3/4-ton 4x4 with an NP-208 and 14-bolt FF rear will have a compatible shaft, but Dabba is right. It doesn't cost too much to have a new tube made.

powerhouseduece

I have the same problem with my 86 1008 and got a quote of $150.00 from a truck spring shop. Is that a reasonable price:?:

Was that a quote from A-1 driveshaft? I thought they were a little cheaper than that. I think they did one of mine for $100 and they replaced both U-joints.

army98

I had that problem when I picked up my truck (bent drive shaft) took 2 days to find on at a salvage yard ($50.00) put in new u-joints (50.00) been rolling on it since. (drive shaft was 1 1/2 in shorter than original)

powerhouseduece

A-1 and R & S spring had the same price quote, $150 for just the tube replaced and $225 - $250 to add new u-joints. I guess these are the 2009 prices!

I think I might be getting a discount because I have never paid itat much. Not too long ago I got a yolk put on a driveshaft for $75 and they did the u-joints.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my brother got his m1008 it had the standard GL bent driveshaft. We replaced it with a driveshaft off a '80s 3/4 ton. As someone else has said, it was a little shorter than the stock shaft but we picked up the back of the truck with a forklift to make sure the shaft wouldn't fall out. Worked ok.

If you show your truck I think you'll loose points if you don't have a bent shaft installed. Every m1008 I've seen from GL has had the bent shaft so I assume that would be correct for show.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks