• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft cpmpatibility...

AnimalMuther

First of all it's a pleasure to finally be a true member of your forum and look forward to contribute future technical insight as my ownership of a MV progresses. So I've recently purchased my first m1008 and am truly in love, she runs beautifully and is exactly as I expected, however, at about 45 MPH she starts shaking worse than any death wobble I've experienced, I got underneath it and discovered that the driveshaft is slightly bent (guessing from forklift loaders at a previous gov lot) and I was wonder what driveshafts could fit if I just went with a local junkyard ie. 3/4 tons, longbeds, any later years?

Thanks

DY

Dabba

Althought i cant tell you for sure, unless its a direct swap from another m1008. I would bring it to a local d-shaft shop and just get it retubed, its not that much. and WELCOME

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any mid-80's 3/4-ton 4x4 with an NP-208 and 14-bolt FF rear will have a compatible shaft, but Dabba is right. It doesn't cost too much to have a new tube made.

powerhouseduece

I have the same problem with my 86 1008 and got a quote of $150.00 from a truck spring shop. Is that a reasonable price:?:

Was that a quote from A-1 driveshaft? I thought they were a little cheaper than that. I think they did one of mine for $100 and they replaced both U-joints.

army98

I had that problem when I picked up my truck (bent drive shaft) took 2 days to find on at a salvage yard ($50.00) put in new u-joints (50.00) been rolling on it since. (drive shaft was 1 1/2 in shorter than original)

powerhouseduece

A-1 and R & S spring had the same price quote, $150 for just the tube replaced and $225 - $250 to add new u-joints. I guess these are the 2009 prices!

I think I might be getting a discount because I have never paid itat much. Not too long ago I got a yolk put on a driveshaft for $75 and they did the u-joints.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When my brother got his m1008 it had the standard GL bent driveshaft. We replaced it with a driveshaft off a '80s 3/4 ton. As someone else has said, it was a little shorter than the stock shaft but we picked up the back of the truck with a forklift to make sure the shaft wouldn't fall out. Worked ok.

If you show your truck I think you'll loose points if you don't have a bent shaft installed. Every m1008 I've seen from GL has had the bent shaft so I assume that would be correct for show.

Last edited: