• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft damage Poll

CUCV Forklift Damage

• DS Only

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • DS and Body

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • DS and TM

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 18 25.0%

• Total voters

Nonotagain

then follow the instruction on GL. PREVIEW BEFORE YOU BID. its your own fault if you do not preview it. once they hit the spot where they take the photo then thats what you get. you are bending yourself over by buying sight unseen.
In a perfect world, everyone would be able to preview the items that they wanted to bid on, the worlds not perfect

People bid based on descriptions of their item with the hope of being able to score a deal. If you had to be present to bid on an auction, prices on GL items would fall to next to nothing and only attract dealers or retired folks. GL conducts internet auctions, so a certain amount of trust has to be expected.

I have had some great dealings with a couple of GL site reps.

I can't remember the names from Ft Meade, but Matt from Chambersburg goes out of his way to make sure that you are pleased with your purchase; Matt has always had photos of the items I was picking up and made sure that any damages he observed that I was made aware of.

Some people are better at their jobs than others. Not all GL site reps care about the items they are charged with are cared for until the property changes ownership.

There is an old saying that if you received good service at a place of business tell your friends, if you were displeased tell everyone.

army98

My 1031 was bent with pass side dammage and fuel tank dammage. Just do not plan to drive them home when you pick them up lol

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why complain at all. GL is not a quality pre owned used car lot. Everything is sold as surplus. They do not get paid enough to care anyways. They do what they can with what they have. I see a couple of other posts where people are complaining about GL. All its gonna do is make em care even less. I think they do a good enough job. they dont even have to make sure they run or even let you know the run, drive or stop. When the day comes when you need a hand in the GL lot and they say "tough $*&^" or when there is no info on the items up for bid then remember threads like these and ask yourself "would you care".
I agree that it's buyer beware with GL and if you don't inspect before bidding it's a roll of the dice but that don't give them an excuse to tear them up for no reason.

What is the correct hourly wage point where you start carring? I don't think you can say " I'm only making min. wage so I don't have to worry about tearing stuff up".

jag7720

They do not get paid enough to care anyways. They do what they can with what they have. When the day comes when you need a hand in the GL lot and they say "tough $*&^" or when there is no info on the items up for bid then remember threads like these and ask yourself "would you care".
I'm sorry but this is such a cop out response. I have read this kind on many forums and I have to say that it is a crappy attitude to take.

Those people that work at the GL agreed to give a fare day's work for the pay they get... not to work like a slug and take no pride in what they do and damage or render useless equipment that is otherwise in good working order ...

If they don't get paid enough to care then they should go find another job and let someone with dignity and pride in themselves have the job and let people pay for quality, non-damaged equipment that DIDN'T otherwise need to be damaged.

and the "tough $*&^" attitude is just lazy and selfish.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
then follow the instruction on GL. PREVIEW BEFORE YOU BID. its your own fault if you do not preview it. once they hit the spot where they take the photo then thats what you get. you are bending yourself over by buying sight unseen.
Mine WAS previewed before I bought it and the fork lift damage showed up between then and when I had it picked up. Since I wasn't the one picking it up the damage wasn't reported so I have no recourse. Everyone saying it happened at DRMO and not at GL is just giving GL the benefit of the doubt. A couple of guys in Oklahoma City watched the GL guys crush a couple of drive shafts. Yes it probably happens at both locations or one or the other at times. Point is, like most workers these days, a lot of these guys don't give a crap about the job just the paycheck and if they get the same paycheck for being lazy then that's how they'll be.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry but this is such a cop out response. I have read this kind on many forums and I have to say that it is a crappy attitude to take.

Those people that work at the GL agreed to give a fare day's work for the pay they get... not to work like a slug and take no pride in what they do and damage or render useless equipment that is otherwise in good working order ...

If they don't get paid enough to care then they should go find another job and let someone with dignity and pride in themselves have the job and let people pay for quality, non-damaged equipment that DIDN'T otherwise need to be damaged.

and the "tough $*&^" attitude is just lazy and selfish.
That's what I was trying to say but you said it so much better :-D.

Lawrence of Arabia

3 M1009s & 2 M1008s, = 3 Fenders, 2 Shafts, 1 Door. Theres gotta be someone we can complain to, oh yah like the Government cares about our issues we have with them.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One the last auction that I bought a truck from the pictures were taken at another location and then the trucks were moved to Redstone. Quite a few of the trucks I previewed (yes I preview when possible) were damaged on the right front fender from being lifted by a forklift so the truck hauling it could roll out from under it.
The damage ranged from minor dents to the whole fender/exhaust/mirror being crumpled.
There is such a thing as quality control.......someone should be making sure due diligence is being exercised when handling the taxpayers property.

ABN173

How about a "body only damage" for the poll? I see the title of Drive shaft damage but I also see the poll itself listed as CUCV Forklift damage.

I have a obvious spot of forklift damage to the body but there is no evident damage to the DS on my M1008.

I am not complaining, I got a fair deal and I did preview.

Last edited:

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up two M1008s, one at Bragg and the other at Redstone. Both had body damage aft of pax door. No DS damage.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be looking to get a M1008, but none are coming up here locally. Wife says we need something faster for Aberdeen, that straight shot home on Sunday is a killer...

Now I almost always preview before I buy. And I take my own pics (if they let me) so I could show stuff missing or damaged later. So the motto should be, 'preview preview preview.' If the item isn't close to you, ask a fellow SS member to go scope it out. I've done that for several guys, even picked up their trucks and such for them.

Hopeing when I do get one it isn't damaged.

If deuces were smaller, think of what would be happening to them?

Not to defend the damage, as I see it as a horrible waste and abuse, BUT:
If there are only 3 guys and 100 trucks coming in...
How else are you going to get it done?

Csm Davis

I won a nice running 1009 went to pick it up and GL guy said wait here next thing I see is this goober coming around the corner with my truck on a fork lift with a big crap eating grin thinking he is helping me out! He broke the TC and bent the body and driveshaft if I had not got it so cheap I would have refused pickup.

wilsonmotors

whell i got one of the so called good ones from ft sill i hope i dont have any of those probs a few guys here loacly said the guys a t sill were pretty good so we will see

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
whell i got one of the so called good ones from ft sill i hope i dont have any of those probs a few guys here loacly said the guys a t sill were pretty good so we will see

Of all the trucks I have seen at Ft Sill, they have used a forklift on very few. And it usually to push them, not to lift them.

I am working on a Deuce now that took a forklift hit to the radiator.

tstone

I have written 2 e-mails to G.L. informing them of the "acceptable" damage to their vehicles and how the sale price of each vehicle is diminished due to the repairs that are necessary to repair the damage; both times I never received a response. Don't hold your breath for any changes in the way things are handled from DRMO or G.L., they are handling high volume and are not concerned about the details, just volume. We the taxpayers are ultimately the loosers as there is no accountibility in" the system". I guess we should be glad that these vehicles are still available for sale (unlike the M151's ) and should be happy that the surplus stuff that we buy is still available to guys like us who like to collect. Try to inspect your vehicle before you buy.

choll

I must have gotten lucky I have bought 9 cucv's and none had any damage. 5 from Barstow, 3 from Ill. and 1 fron CO. All of them driven off the lot and back to Vegas.

lindyp38

1985 Chevrolet CD-10516 CUCV blazer VIN 1G8ED18JDFF196731, automatic transmission, has heat, odometer indicates 41,420 miles, with 6.2L V8 diesel engine, does not have key, truck was forklifted into location, **BUYER LOAD**

this is recent...mine was damaged....when i got it.....

i guess its easier and quicker to move them around the yard .......

Chief_919

Why complain at all. GL is not a quality pre owned used car lot. Everything is sold as surplus. They do not get paid enough to care anyways. They do what they can with what they have. I see a couple of other posts where people are complaining about GL. All its gonna do is make em care even less. I think they do a good enough job. they dont even have to make sure they run or even let you know the run, drive or stop. When the day comes when you need a hand in the GL lot and they say "tough $*&^" or when there is no info on the items up for bid then remember threads like these and ask yourself "would you care".
These are contractors.

Government Liquidation is contracted to dispose of excess government property.

As taxpayer, we should expect them to treat government property with as much care as possible while entrusted to them, and as custoemrs once we have paid for the property we should expect the same.

If a company hired to run a dining facility and feed Soldiers was doing a crappy job and serving poorly cooked food, would you tell everyone "tough, you should be happy the food is cooked at all"?

We should expect Government Liquidation employees to handle government property in thier care with the same care as we do Soldiers, and treat them the same when abuse or neglect damages it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks