• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft Removal in the Field

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have tires or the money to buy tires, I wouldn't even consider the dolly. If you do have tires, the medium tow bar is also an option. I've towed CUCVs many thousands of miles on the medium tow bar and it works great. Usually you can find a member to loan out a tow bar but expect to leave some type of deposit as they are popular and not exactly cheap. I use duct tape to secure the ujoint caps and tie wire to secure up the drive shaft when I tow. I would rent local and then head out with the trailer in tow.

axshon

So your auction didn't require a EUC? Then yeah your 10 days starts from the paid in full date.
So there is no EUC notification on the invoice, nothing on the 'sold' page at GL and I only received a 'congratulations, go here to download your paid-in-full invoice' email so I must assume that I don't need one. Firee an email off to GL to be sure though.

KsM715

So there is no EUC notification on the invoice, nothing on the 'sold' page at GL and I only received a 'congratulations, go here to download your paid-in-full invoice' email so I must assume that I don't need one. Firee an email off to GL to be sure though.

PM me the sale# and lot # and I can tell you if you were required to fill out an EUC. (CUCV's have been hit and miss on the EUC requirement in the past couple of years.)

*edit* nevermind, just ran across your other thread and looked at the GL page. NO EUC on those trucks.

Last edited:

twlinks

When I got my M1009 earlier this year at Camp Shelby, MS, I called a local tow service to go get it off the base, then the hauler picked it up from the tow service. You could do the same thing but you're just adding more into the cost of it all. If I was going after it myself, I would do like the others have said...rent the U-Haul trailer locally, go to MO and get your '09, haul it home and drop off the trailer.

Did you check on having it shipped? If your C3500 gets the same 10-12 miles per gallon mine gets, it's gonna cost ya $600-700 easy in fuel alone, plus the cost of the trailer for 4 days, time off work, wear and tear on your truck, motels, food, etc. I bet you can get it shipped for around $800 and not have to screw with all of that...just sayin.

kassim503

If you pull the driveshaft, you could just jam a paper coffee cup in the tailshaft. No draining needed. Btw- all standardized cupholder type cups fit perfect- that 44 oz soda jug wont.

Twlinks might be right. Have you checked on shipping? Most of the shippers can get right on base. The lowest shipping quote I got on mine was 475.00. I ended up spending 310.00 on fuel and food and that was with a free trailer. The gas mileage goes way down with a 2200 pound trailer and a 5200 pound truck on top of that.

axshon

So I guess I'm lucky I'm church people. A real estate agent friend from the church offered her 30 foot Winnebago this evening. It's got a tow package and I've spent quite a bit of time getting the generator running for her and repairing the plumbing. It won't be cheap on gas but I can pick it up whenever I want, return it whenever and haul the trailer at no charge. I can load up a couple days of food and no need to worry about lodging on a very easy 3 day run. Gas is the only expense.

We took this RV to Michigan last year and it cost us roughly 550 for gas. I drive like a grandpa with cruise control at 58 and just enjoy the ride so it gets decent mileage. Knock it up to 70 mph and mileage drops to around 8mpg. I don't do that.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I'll post pictures when I pick it up.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:that will be to heavy for a dolly ,a trailer is best,how ever if not going more than a few miles(25 or so) u do not need to drop the drive line/s just put transfer/trans in neutral.
I towed cucv's that way in the cal guard a lot,but most of the time(u can too)towed them from the back on front wheeels with an wrecker.

twlinks

axshon, hey, that's cool. Now you can make an adventure out of it and have some fun along the way. Hope it all goes smooth for you and will look forward to seeing the pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks