• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a personal Humvee on the streets while national guard is deployed in state

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, come on.

Would you not drive a black Crown Vic, Ford Explorer, or Dodge Charger because the police were in town?

Your license plates are most likely NOT official and as such you are easily identifiable.

Once I replace my ruptured power steering line I will be back on the road.

Let's not start falling into paranoia and hysteria and panic mode.

Stay well.

Best,

T

Ajax MD

As usual, the answer is- "It depends."

Is your HMMWV a meticulously restored specimen with a chicken plate and replica .50 on top? Are you stuck in your "glory days", driving around in your BDU's? Well, I wouldn't do that right now.

Is your HMMWV more like mine, with mismatched desert tan and black wheels, tired canvas, and relatively bare of military accessories with a plainly visible, civilian license plate? Party on!

There have been photos circulating of some clowns that have pasted "COVID-19 Quarantine Enforcement" on their HMMWVs. Some of these trucks are in pretty good shape and could be mistaken for official vehicles. I view this as "not smart." If you want to joke around, at least make the graphics somewhat exaggerated like the "Zombie Response" logos that have been circulating for years, so that less informed members of the public don't react poorly.

Oh, a quick tip:

Also circulating on the web right now, are photos posted by wanna-be surplus vehicle owners describing how HMMWVs do not have any sort of keyed ignition, and demonstrating the startup procedure, hinting that people could help themselves to a shiny, new Nat'l Guard HMMWV. I recommend taking some simple extra steps to secure your trucks during this time. (for those of you who don't have keyed ignitions or keyed battery disconnect switches.)

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also circulating on the web right now, are photos posted by wanna-be surplus vehicle owners describing how HMMWVs do not have any sort of keyed ignition, and demonstrating the startup procedure, hinting that people could help themselves to a shiny, new Nat'l Guard HMMWV. I recommend taking some simple extra steps to secure your trucks during this time. (for those of you who don't have keyed ignitions or keyed battery disconnect switches.)
Well that about says it all: regardless of which side of the "is it a good idea" fence one falls on with this- if there are folks out there advocating carjacking NG vehicles... or maybe put differently: there're a lot more of both of them than there are of us.

DREDnot

Ive noticed that all the M1165s on GP have keyed ignitions installed...incorrectly.
They have the accessory position and they are clocked so when in "run" it is pointing at "start"

keyed m1165s.jpg

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Last I seen is that we live in America. If you are doing nothing illegal then exercise your right to Free travel.

But acting like an ass in public trying to cause panic and create a disturbance will likely get the attention you rightly will deserve.

And with the fear mongers will come more unnecessary laws that will further erode the freedom to travel in times of civil concerns of either a military or civil emergency.

Lets Hope that most citizens will exercise personal caution, but in a changing world Darwin has some catching up to do.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said above, this whole thread is about giving into fear.

I'm sorry but I think this thread is inappropriate. I have a legal right to drive ex-police, ex-firefighter, ex-postal and ex-military vehicles when purchased and insured legally.

No virus or other situation should change that and the question should not even be on peoples' minds.

This is how ridiculous legislation is born.

At a time when this disease is pulling our fabric of community apart, we need to stand together and not give into unfounded fears.

If people do stupid things let the police deal with them as one-off incidents and not worry about creating a conspiracy of FMV/Former Military Vehicle driving law abiding Americans.

This is also not the place in this forum for chit-chat and speculation.

I hope the mods close, strike or move this thread.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm reserved but Ma is 91 and wants to go driving......... She's the one that always says....."Have a nice day unless you choose otherwise", "Choose wisely".

That is just beautiful. What a great gal she is. Seems like she's saying that she needs to find ammo. LOL. No doubt it is for a .50 cal.

Like BKubu said, Thanks for sharing.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is just beautiful. What a great gal she is. Seems like she's saying that she needs to find ammo. LOL. No doubt it is for a .50 cal.

Like BKubu said, Thanks for sharing.
I gotta tell her that, she'll split a gut laughing because she wouldn't even think ammo but that's what it sounds like. Too funny, thanks.

It all went down about six years ago when ELMO disappeared. I can't recall if it was a truck, toy or mascot that went missing but she saw a video or read something about it. Someone will chime in with the Elmo story.

If anyone gets out of line or isn't throwing down hard, helping those around them.........you will hear from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks