• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a personal Humvee on the streets while national guard is deployed in state

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta tell her that, she'll split a gut laughing because she wouldn't even think ammo but that's what it sounds like. Too funny, thanks.

It all went down about six years ago when ELMO disappeared. I can't recall if it was a truck, toy or mascot that went missing but she saw a video or read something about it. Someone will chime in with the Elmo story.

If anyone gets out of line or isn't throwing down hard, helping those around them.........you will hear from her.
Elmo is @wreckerman893 's stuffed opossum.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have noticed the uptick in eyeballing.
I figure as long as we don't cruise around in groups.
My boss said I might have to carpool others to work when the checkpoints go up.

I should probably leave my smoke generator in the shed, though...
View attachment 793474
Firing up surplus smoke generators even in a rural area will bring all kind of folks to your location. Well in Kansas anyways. :whistle:

JEB

I don't think it's a huge problem, but this topic reminded me of something I read in a MVPA magazine awhile back...a group of MV owners were in a convoy to a large meet.
The police dept of St. Louis asked them not to go into town to avoid upsetting the locals, so the group stayed on the Interstate.
So I guess that there certainly might be issues someplaces.

Never mind that anyone with an ounce of reasoning should be able to see they are old trucks driven by old guys without GI haircuts (or indeed without hair).
Yes, people SHOULD be able to discern a civil HMMWV, from a real deal military truck, but who said people pay much attention to details?😁

When in the military I worked with civilians as a Public Affairs Officer, likewise, when I was in the media...one thing I learned is: don't assume anything when it comes to public perceptions. Even in "normal" times, they will make surprising leaps of logic.

Yes, continue to drive your trucks, but don't do anything silly, some folks will misread your intentions. That s a 100% certainty.

Stay well, stay happy, help and be kind to others.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have remained quiet on this topic for a while. We as MV enthusiasts MUST not become aggatators in any way, shape, or form.
As AMBASSADORS for this entire community - whether you like the role or not - we each represent the whole group of MV owners.
PLEASE do not do ANYTHING that would alienate any one SS Member from the good will or the rest.

Prudence would precipitate that participants NOT parlay this PANDEMIC into PANDEMONIUM.
(Feel free to click on those links if you are unsure of the definitions of those coincidentally similar words.)

In more simple terms.....

The natives are already restless. What possible good could come from any foolish display to further antagonize them. The consequences - whether we would agree with them or not - could be catastrophic and for some may prove fatal.

If anyone does choose to operate their MV while there are uniformed service members tasked in the area:
1. DO NOT wear anything that could make you look like you are in uniform.
2. CONSTANTLY exercise situational awareness. And be prepared to self-evacuate if YOU become the problem.
3. INTENTIONALLY CONSIDER why you would operate in any area at any particular time: ego, thrill-seeking, and self-promotion are deceptive emotions.
4. IF you question if it is a good idea or not, rest assured: IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA..... run away from those thoughts post-haste!

The devil is a trap-setting enemy of all that is good and righteous. Do not fall for his tricks and snares.

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In general, being considerate of other people concerns during this unnerving situation would help everyone through it.

Today at a store, I had several oppertunities to do just this as we all interacted. I felt refreshed that other sensed relief by my simple actions.

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In general, being considerate of other people concerns during this unnerving situation would help everyone through it.

Today at a store, I had several oppertunities to do just this as we all interacted. I felt refreshed that other sensed relief by my simple actions.
I figure my kicker base and tunes will differentiate me from any guard units. My local PD now has 4 HMMWV’s. They know me. The key is to be helpful and supportive of their mission. They will ask for help if need be.

Stephen.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
IMG_4683.jpg
I took my raggedy mtvr out to fuel up the other day in my small town, and immediately was bombarded with strange looks, questions, etc. I’m staying low-key currently, and the truck is currently disabled to discourage local under-equipped law enforcement potentially attempting to commandeer MY personal toy. It won’t crank without me assisting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not think of it causing a panic and I did not think it would but I did carry protection. I am trying to get my other property cleaned off so I can sell it so yesterday I fired up the 915 and hooked to my 373 trailer. Loaded the trailer up with most all my storage boxes and came straight home. Yea got some looks but no problems.

Ajax MD

I did not think of it causing a panic and I did not think it would but I did carry protection. I am trying to get my other property cleaned off so I can sell it so yesterday I fired up the 915 and hooked to my 373 trailer. Loaded the trailer up with most all my storage boxes and came straight home. Yea got some looks but no problems.
You're conducting personal business, not out stoking fear and confusion. I say, carry on.

papakb

Seems like the liberal idiots here in the Bay Area seem to think that driving slower than they normally do will stop the spread of the virus. I've been out twice in the last 2 weeks and both times I had to push things to hit the posted speed limits. This shelter-in-place sure does wonders for those projects I never seemed to get around to before though...........

Ajax MD

Seems like the liberal idiots here in the Bay Area seem to think that driving slower than they normally do will stop the spread of the virus. I've been out twice in the last 2 weeks and both times I had to push things to hit the posted speed limits. This shelter-in-place sure does wonders for those projects I never seemed to get around to before though...........
Oh yes, my house and vehicles have never been in such good shape! :cool:

Jericho

Drive what you want. Guard don't care. active duty don't care. If you have a legally registered inspected ect truck that's the beauty of America . No matter what you do some one will always have an opinion . I ignore the low lifes and liberal idiots who pass around there Fema Camp remarks and after a minute most want to look at my truck and don't feel threatened at all I spent 20 years on active duty and 20 in the reserve Frankly I don't care if some safe place idiot is offended. We have suffered far to long to political correctness IMHO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

They are not to be called "liberals" or "liberal idiots", as that is not PC nowadays.

The more PC term would be "reality challenged, hemp smoking, tree hugging, counterproductive, constitutionally protected citizens"

FYI - Not looking for a fight, just performing a public service announcement.

Jericho

They are not to be called "liberals", as that is not PC nowadays.

The more PC term would be "reality challenged tree hugging, counterproductive, constitutionally protected citizens"

FYI - Not looking for a fight, just performing a public service announcement.
Lol. Iam too old for political correctness. A truck is a truck. A moron a moron. And no matter what one steps in. It likely smells like sheet. Lol. Thank you for your levity

Katavic918

Drive what you want. Guard don't care. active duty don't care. If you have a legally registered inspected ect truck that's the beauty of America . No matter what you do some one will always have an opinion . I ignore the low lifes and liberal idiots who pass around there Fema Camp remarks and after a minute most want to look at my truck and don't feel threatened at all I spent 20 years on active duty and 20 in the reserve Frankly I don't care if some safe place idiot is offended. We have suffered far to long to political correctness IMHO
You know what...good point and well said.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1585306142972.png

My wife does this job. Those boxes are homemade but offer some added protection, but they are all S**T scared as the hospital is about to get swamped by NYC transfers. Drs and respiration staff are getting hit bad.

Now is not the time to run around defending what your rights are. If you are lucky enough, cautious enough, you will get this but mildly or even escape this all together if your own immune system is strong enough and don't have any other medical/respiratory issues, blood pressure, overweight, smoke etc., etc. Otherwise you will get this and potentially soak up valuable and scarce resources or even die.

Owning green "toys" is a hobby (for the most part). The general public doesn't understand our love or logic.

PLEASE do not add to the stress or confusion. Stay home unless you are essential.

I threw $40 bucks at the women in a truck stop yesterday and told them it was fo coffees for the next few truck drivers that come in.
I am making those boxes as fast as I can and have cancelled as much of my business as is practical even though I am in "Animal Management/Maintenace" and therefore 'Essential'.

Again - now is not the time to flex your "But it's my right" muscles. I want a healthy hobby on the back side of this, not public resentment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks