• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving Cross Country. Have you done it?

Nomadic

I would post pics of my truck in a couple spots but the **** pic uploaded won't work. I live out on a fire trail so my roads aren't smooth at all. I used to think that they were OK to rough, but that was with my 1 ton van, since getting the 5 ton and driving it out here I've since changed my opinion to ROUGH, lol

I also used to be irritated that I didn't have 927/928 chassis, but this this 934 chassis has been a blessing in disguise. I have bumped the back of the 927 bed and drug the pintle on the 934 chassis, but never enough to hang me up. I'll keep everything the way it is and make my tongue on the custom trailer a wee bit longer to make up for the bed overhang, or get a hold of a dolly set.
The pic uploader is a bit primitive and I spun trying to upload my pics too. The trick is after you select the images to upload, click on the text "Upload File(s)" to invoke the action. That text is actually a button, but it doesn't look like it and it just looks like informational text.

I have enjoyed hearing about the various experiences out in the country with these trucks as well as seeing the pics so far in this thread (but not limited to) and would like to see more pics, especially with that long 934 wheel base off-road :D A hard find!

Mos68x

IMG_7391.JPGIMG_7390.JPGIMG_7389.JPGIMG_3976.jpgIMG_3969.jpgIMG_3966.jpgIMG_3964.jpgIMG_3962.jpg

That chassis and bed combo has already saved my a$$ twice when I was loading and unloading my Harley. If the chassis hadn't been tucked up underneath the bed I never would've been able to get close enough to the two berms I used to get the bike in and out.

My speed limit is literally 1-5 mph down my mile of road until I get to the exit where I get onto I-40. Most of the other roads around here are better or the same, with a few being worse. There's one road I sometimes take for hunting, that I haven't yet taken the truck on. It has got to be one of the worst roads around here. I'll try to remember to take a video of the ride when I do though since I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

Last edited:

Nomadic

Mos68x said:
That chassis and bed combo has already saved my a$$ twice when I was loading and unloading my Harley. If the chassis hadn't been tucked up underneath the bed I never would've been able to get close enough to the two berms I used to get the bike in and out.

My speed limit is literally 1-5 mph down my mile of road until I get to the exit where I get onto I-40. Most of the other roads around here are better or the same, with a few being worse. There's one road I sometimes take for hunting, that I haven't yet taken the truck on. It has got to be one of the worst roads around here. I'll try to remember to take a video of the ride when I do though since I'm sure it'll be entertaining.
That first pic shows how incredibly massive that truck is. Seeing a person stand on the side of it like that helps set the right perspective.

Was your truck stuck/blocked in those first 3 pics?

That looks like terrain I should steer away from while alone in the wild.

Do you think with the M934A2 Van on the frame rails instead of the cargo bed there would be more a problem (if any) navigating over that terrain in the first 3 pics?

Mos68x

Yeah the only spot I got stuck. I'm sure if I had played around some, used low gear, and aired down the tires I probably would've gotten over that hump. That spot is a mix of loose and 'rock sand', so i figured it would be a fun spot to play with since it was close to home.

Nomadic

Yeah the only spot I got stuck. I'm sure if I had played around some, used low gear, and aired down the tires I probably would've gotten over that hump. That spot is a mix of loose and 'rock sand', so i figured it would be a fun spot to play with since it was close to home.
Its a nice truck and I'd love to have one (as well as property way out in the boonies :D). It looks like a massive, mean and well-lubed machine.

Mos68x

If you want a XLWB chassis for the 20ft cargo bed then I would suggest the 934, it gives you better departure angles than the 927/928 does. I have bigger plans for this truck than just being a playtoy, it will actually carry a 20ft ISO that will be an RV (removable), and I'll be pulling another 20ft'r that will be my woodshop for my business.

Csm Davis

If you want a XLWB chassis for the 20ft cargo bed then I would suggest the 934, it gives you better departure angles than the 927/928 does. I have bigger plans for this truck than just being a playtoy, it will actually carry a 20ft ISO that will be an RV (removable), and I'll be pulling another 20ft'r that will be my woodshop for my business.
Nice truck bed! But I will point out something, just behind Blue, Mos68x brother, on the 927/8 is a toolbox that isn't on the 934. And they can also tell you about crushing air lines and such that pass under the frame. These are great trucks that can be upgraded to handle almost anything but just like your jeep you need to upgrade a few things to make it off road ready.
Start with the torque rods, change them out to the newer ball joint style. Then crawl under and start looking for low hanging fruit and move it up out of harms way. I would probably get a CTIS truck but unhook it in the cab only, that way you can set what pressure you want. I have looked at adding skid plates and if you are going to stay out of the mud I would think they would be a great addition. Add a few extra air tanks that can be filled before going in and then closed of from the system in case you rip something lose and need it. I would also add a second fuel tank with the manual military valve, not just for extra time and distance but for backup in case of loss of one side tank or fuel line. Basically all the same things as any overland vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mos68x

Nice truck bed! But I will point out something, just behind Blue, Mos68x brother, on the 927/8 is a toolbox that isn't on the 934. And they can also tell you about crushing air lines and such that pass under the frame. These are great trucks that can be upgraded to handle almost anything but just like your jeep you need to upgrade a few things to make it off road ready.
Start with the torque rods, change them out to the newer ball joint style. Then crawl under and start looking for low hanging fruit and move it up out of harms way. I would probably get a CTIS truck but unhook it in the cab only, that way you can set what pressure you want. I have looked at adding skid plates and if you are going to stay out of the mud I would think they would be a great addition. Add a few extra air tanks that can be filled before going in and then closed of from the system in case you rip something lose and need it. I would also add a second fuel tank with the manual military valve, not just for extra time and distance but for backup in case of loss of one side tank or fuel line. Basically all the same things as any overland vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I love the idea of another toolbox since the one that is on the 934 just isn't big enough for everything I want to carry, but I would rather keep that space available for an addition 81g fuel tank instead. Additional air tanks are already in the works, I've got several old propane tanks laying around that will find themselves repurposed into air tanks for the truck. I got 3 30lb ones and a vehicle mounted 30 or 40 lber too.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I love the idea of another toolbox since the one that is on the 934 just isn't big enough for everything I want to carry, but I would rather keep that space available for an addition 81g fuel tank instead. Additional air tanks are already in the works, I've got several old propane tanks laying around that will find themselves repurposed into air tanks for the truck. I got 3 30lb ones and a vehicle mounted 30 or 40 lber too.
You can add another tank to the passengers side. Then you also have enough room for two to four more toolboxes behind that. You can mount two on saddle brackets and then mount another box the same size to the top of each of them. You can then add two or four more to the passengers side. Since you are off the grid. you can add 4 to 8 jerry can brackets to each box top if you only single stack them and that will allow you to carry extra fuel. If you are going to add a second tank. Find one off a semi truck or similar square. The tank may say 81 gallons on it but it doesn't hold that. Try 71/72. Or even a step fuel tank like on the beverage trucks or topkick kodiaks

Mos68x

I know the tank is only 71-77 usable gallons, I just used that number so there was no doubt which tank I was referring to. Once I get the second fuel tank and the additional air tanks in I will re-evaluate my available space for the generators and tool boxes.

EDIT:also need to figure out where I want to put my spare tire as well. I would love a solution that would involve an undercarriage hanger but that will greatly reduce the off-road ability, so I will most likely be hanging it off the back.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know the tank is only 71-77 usable gallons, I just used that number so there was no doubt which tank I was referring to. Once I get the second fuel tank and the additional air tanks in I will re-evaluate my available space for the generators and tool boxes.

EDIT:also need to figure out where I want to put my spare tire as well. I would love a solution that would involve an undercarriage hanger but that will greatly reduce the off-road ability, so I will most likely be hanging it off the back.
They only hold 71/72 gallons period from bone dry. I run my passengers side tank down to dry every 24hours. be more practical to run dual 55s off a tractor on one side atleast you can get 51 gallons out of them and nearly the same size.

You can mount a winch system with a bracket under the rear of the 934. and mount your tires like an pickup truck would. It has been done on several trucks and doesn't hurt the angle of departure. Modify you a ram air intake on the interior of the engine bay and replace your fresh air hose some where else. You can have up to a 8inch hole in the hood up there with expanded metal on it. with a filter and deflection system for rain that could hook right into the turbo. Then remove your stock air box system and you can install four 5 gallon tanks in that area with ease between the step and the spring brake reservoir

I have modified several M934s to fuel tankers for forestry guys and they go thru tons of crap that a 39,000lb truck shouldn't be able to go thru.

Mos68x

I was thinking the worm gear driven hand winch, with a pulley or two, could handle that. If I can squeeze the spare far enough forward to make me happy I will definitely do that. Of course I wouldn't want the weight of the tire to always be on the winch so I will have to figure out the bolt pattern diameter so I can fab up a mounting bracket with studs of its own so that holds the weight of the tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks