• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving my M1009 cross country

Cleptomaniac

I have had my 1009 for a while and real I have gotten enough kinks worked out to drive her cross country! So last Thursday I drive to Cleveland OK and back . That is about 300mi round trip. No problems:) So I have to work in Council Bluffs/ Omaha area this week and I'm driving the 09! Has been fun so far! On the trip earlier this week I ran up the turnpike and ran 75-80 got 15 mpg. That is with 35" tires. So far this trip I have ran 70ish and am getting 17mpg! Pretty happy with this as I am not really willing to drive much slower whatever the fuel mileage is!

SPCWarning

Sounds like a blast! I get a kick out of driving mine 12 miles to my brother's house, can't imagine cross country (yet). Be safe. How bout some pics along the way?
Jimmy

Cleptomaniac

Spc here are a few pics not much. The water is still hanging in there from the flooding in Iowa earlier this year.

91W350 thanks for the invite I'll have to plan to come that way some time! I am up here every few weeks for the time. Till all the work stops.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have had my 1009 for a while and real I have gotten enough kinks worked out to drive her cross country! So last Thursday I drive to Cleveland OK and back . That is about 300mi round trip. No problems:) So I have to work in Council Bluffs/ Omaha area this week and I'm driving the 09! Has been fun so far! On the trip earlier this week I ran up the turnpike and ran 75-80 got 15 mpg. That is with 35" tires. So far this trip I have ran 70ish and am getting 17mpg! Pretty happy with this as I am not really willing to drive much slower whatever the fuel mileage is!
What kind of RPM are you pulling, running on the peg or very, very close

Cleptomaniac

Not to sure I have no tac. I think 80 was too fast but seems to like 72.
Would like to put in a pyro and tac and turn up the fuel a little!
I'm good with 70 just like to have the power if I need it.

Cleptomaniac

Lol I have all those and a tow bar! :razz: and a jump box!
The trip was great and had no problems! Now work for the week and drive back on Friday.

ryan77

At least these trucks are able to limp home most of the time, I drove a m1028 from tn to ill with no charging system and a m1009 from Georgia to Ill spraying trans fluid from the driveshaft seal!!!

Cleptomaniac

Wow thats good to know!! I do know they do not require much electric to run but tranny fluid....
Hope I don't have any of those problems!
I have put in new batteries, electric fuel pump, sending unit/tank, and lots of other stuff!
So we will say a prayer and rock and roll!!:razz:

Cleptomaniac

Well gen 1 crapped out on me out here in IA! So I went to Autozone and got a cadi alternator. First "new" one was bad so got another and it works great!!
The work I had to do today didn't get approved so I pulled my 1009 in the body shop and started working on it. Got most of the dents repaired and sanded and painted the drivers side door and fender! A few more days like today and I'll get her all painted!!
But the pay is not so good:p

Cleptomaniac

Well made it back home!! Have acquired a new leak (oil) doh will be my luck that it is a rear main seal :( Have to check it out later. Was hoping to make the same trip again in 2 weeks!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks