• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DRMO/GL McCoy pick up/drive off?

albersondh

Hello,
I just got a 1028 and will be picking up in the next week or so. Its coming back to Detroit. Im in the process of completing my EUC at the moment and Im in WI (Oshkosh) for training untill the end of next week.

Idealy I would like to drive it off the lot and head home from Sparta to Detroit. The discription was pretty bad "unknown running condition, has been moved with fork lift" kind of stuff. Judging by appearance only, it looks good, 10k miles, no rust, red tops installed, tires look fresh, engine bay looks straight, ect. If I could determine the actual drivability of the truck I could plan on heading to McCoy on Fri and driving home over the weekend, just cancel my flight home. Ill give the lot a call and see if they can let me know if it is drivable or not, any other ideas?

Are there any specific requierments I will need in order to drive it off, assuming thats even possible? I plan on calling my insurance company and getting temp coverage for the ride home.

Appreceate any advice for a first time buyer. Thanks.

Zero_cool

I remember someone saying you can not drive them off base you have to tow them? never bought from GL so i dont know for sure...I have heard many horror stories of the evil fork trucks damaging drive shafts and god knows what else.
If it were me , i would plan on towing it home.

SPCHowe

I paid to have my M1009 shipped and I'm glad I did. You won't really "know" your truck until you put some miles and hours into going all over it. Some CUCVs were well maintained and a lot of others weren't so lucky, think along the lines of new recruits getting their first chance at driving something green. I'd rather be safe then sorry and have it shipped then end up on the side of the road miles from any good source of replacement parts. Also if this is your first EUC it could take some time to get it approved just like epitts suggested.

albersondh

3 months ago I had an M1009 delivered from the Northern Chicago area to the Cadillac Michigan area, cost was $400 total!

I'm just saying.

Steve
Who shipped, details please?

////BREAK////

Planning for a DS, couple questions. 1028 should be a NP208 with slip yoke? What are the chances its a NP205 fixed yoke truck? Any good sources for a new DS? Its going to suck if it does need one but Ill plan for the worst....

SGT Estum

The guys at Ft. McCoy were pretty decent (at least when I was there). The guy running the forks [that day] lifted on the transfer case brace and put blocks on the other fork to not mess up my driveshaft. Staff was pretty cool except they reamed me pretty hard about Bret Farve when they saw my Minnesota driver's license. Mine was in the "towed on to lot" status; the starter was cooked and sitting on the front seat. There would have been no way for me to know that and no way for me to drive it home. I went REALLY slow and towbar'd it home.

kennys@wi.rr.com

These trucks were forked onto trailers before they were even brought to the DRMO. So it's not Mike and Seth and their use of a fork lift you have to worry about, it's who did it before them.

CW3Topher

If it has been moved with a forklift you better bring a spare driveshaft I guarantee yours will be bent.
I picked up my 1008 today, and the driveshaft is bent (the M1008 did not require an EUC). I trailered it home today to Dayton. Will post pics of the driveshaft latter.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Looks like I will be on post Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. Tuesday with my deuce and an Excursion to get a few of the trailers I have to get and on Wed with a 48' drop deck. We may have some room left on the drop deck, send me a PM is you still need the truck moved or if anyone else needs anything moved off post.

GWP112

What we did was got down there the day before pick up and they let us go inspect and see the truck. They jumped it off the next morning, day of pickup and off we went. Even had two full tanks of fuel but air brakes did need justing.

kennys@wi.rr.com

An inspection by someone who knows what to look for is the best thing ever. When I was new to the hobby I had skinnedknuckles come with me and the things he taught me to look at I will never forget. Then when you own one you learn more and more. I am no expert, and I don't think anyone ever really is, but that's my opinion on these trucks. If you don't know what to look at ask someone to tag along and help out, it may cost you breakfast, but it's money well spent.