• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Circuit Brake Engineering Thread

redmudjeep

I am very limited in knowledge of 3D printing. What type of material is used to do the printing? Is it strong enough to hold up to the stress of the braking system? Or is this used to make a mold to cast a metal part? I thank you for any information. This is one of the few parts that I need to complete my brake conversion.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very limited in knowledge of 3D printing. What type of material is used to do the printing? Is it strong enough to hold up to the stress of the braking system? Or is this used to make a mold to cast a metal part? I thank you for any information. This is one of the few parts that I need to complete my brake conversion.
Not strong enough with the material I used as it limits the “infill” to save on filament. I’ve never done stress analysis on PLA filament, which is what this printer uses. I doubt using solid fill would be strong enough. Although this gives someone a working model to make a jig to make their own bracket out of steel pieces and possibly a model to create a mold or possibly even directly “investment” cast with. They do make stronger filaments but my machine wouldn’t support them. It would have to be professionally done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the information. I have been planning on making my own bracket out of steel, just did not know if this was an easier solution.
Much easier to do if you got fab skills and abilities. Unless you have access to CNC equipment or people that can cast it for you. Not cheap if you have to hire someone!!!

redmudjeep

Much easier to do if you got fab skills and abilities. Unless you have access to CNC equipment or people that can cast it for you. Not cheap if you have to hire someone!!!

I can fab it. It is just the time it will take to make sure everything works right. My brother has some friends that have CNC equipment that might be able to help. Always looking for an easier way to get it done faster.

rustystud

Not strong enough with the material I used as it limits the “infill” to save on filament. I’ve never done stress analysis on PLA filament, which is what this printer uses. I doubt using solid fill would be strong enough. Although this gives someone a working model to make a jig to make their own bracket out of steel pieces and possibly a model to create a mold or possibly even directly “investment” cast with. They do make stronger filaments but my machine wouldn’t support them. It would have to be professionally done.

The only problem with any type of casting is you need the "pattern" to be larger then the finished product. This is due to "shrinkage" , and I'm not referring to "Jerry Seinfield" either ! I used to cast aluminum and brass back when I had my own small foundry. I still have some "molds" my father made for me. He was a craftsman carpenter.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just a thought. I know that manhole lids and storm drain covers are cast in India. I do realize that those aren’t high precision compared to this bracket. I’m wondering if it would be Possible to get a company to manufacture it over seas.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just a thought. I know that manhole lids and storm drain covers are cast in India. I do realize that those aren’t high precision compared to this bracket. I’m wondering if it would be Possible to get a company to manufacture it over seas.
East Jordan Iron Works is still producing them here in Michigan , as a matter of fact
they are building a new state of the art plant in Elmira , Michigan.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sure.

You wanna' order ten or twenty thousand units?

I have experience with low cost overseas production and it is incredibly cheap-if you're willing to buy in that kind of volume.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have that file?

I want to see if that can be made without casting/printing.
It CAN be made with a water jet or laser or plasma cam in pieces, then figure out how to assemble it all together as a weldment. It would be a G-code nightmare for CNC and casting wouldn’t be cheap or easy either.

I’m thinking if I can’t get my hands on one of these brackets I will use the 3D printout to make a welding jig.

peashooter

It CAN be made with a water jet or laser or plasma cam in pieces, then figure out how to assemble it all together as a weldment. It would be a G-code nightmare for CNC and casting wouldn’t be cheap or easy either.

I’m thinking if I can’t get my hands on one of these brackets I will use the 3D printout to make a welding jig.

I agree that a weldment is likely the best way to make this in the safest fashion for the lowest cost and in the low quantities that realistically would be needed. A 3d printed jig is a great idea and having the printed bracket will let you verify that everything important lines up right.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see that this bracket discussion is still ongoing. Don't have time - mood to go through the entire thread again but how many pieces we are talking about and estimate for max price?

My son does special blacksmithing orders for all kind of historic things, especially small order sizes. Below some pics of suspension brackets he made for a very accurate replica of the first electric trolleybus for the Czech Republic at the beginning of 1900. The pieces are about 32 cm high, weighing several kgs and very sturdy, as you can see.

Troleybus parts 020cr.jpg Troleybus parts 001rc.jpg Troleybus parts 006cr.jpg Troleybus parts 011rc.jpg

I am not sure if he would be interested at all, but before asking I have to know a bit more details.

peashooter

Subscribed.
I see that this bracket discussion is still ongoing. Don't have time - mood to go through the entire thread again but how many pieces we are talking about and estimate for max price?

My son does special blacksmithing orders for all kind of historic things, especially small order sizes. Below some pics of suspension brackets he made for a very accurate replica of the first electric trolleybus for the Czech Republic at the beginning of 1900. The pieces are about 32 cm high, weighing several kgs and very sturdy, as you can see.

View attachment 718261 View attachment 718258 View attachment 718259 View attachment 718260

I am not sure if he would be interested at all, but before asking I have to know a bit more details.
Check post 145 for pictures and more details: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ering-Thread&p=2068376&viewfull=1#post2068376

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks