• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duals, Super Singles and other Deuce ???'s

Monster Man

now, when it's done like that it looks good. How many inches between the outside plane of the tire and the edge of the bed? I've seen some flipped hubs when the tire ends up like 6 inches in, is that because of wheel backspacing or tire choice or what? I like yours

Deuce-bigalo

I like that look Longhunter! Nice set up.... Are those the same rims from the duals or different one flipped?

John

ironhorsethegeneral

We agree with all the above that the Super Singles. They get better turning, better speed, and better mileage. One thought you can do when converting duels to singles is get a set of front hubs (2 left and 2 right hand thread) remove brack drum off of the mounting drum plate and mount the front hubs as is on the rear and then put your tires on. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Deuce-bigalo

That would be SWEET if you could put in a set of locking hubs on the axle farthest to the rear. Kinda like the Jeeps do for towing. Unlock all the wheels and everything would free spin. Would be alot easier than taking out the inter-axle shaft eh? Is that what you are suggesting ironhorse? Please advise!

John

FSBruva

Deuce-bigalo-
No, IHG is merely stating that there is a way to change from duals to singles without having to press out the lugs and re-insert them the other way. Cranetruck's photo gallery shows that you can do it with a hammer.... but you have to be pretty dilligent about checking your lugnuts, in case the lugs work themselves in as you drive.

IHG's method involves acquiring 4 more hubs (from two front differentials), because then the lugs are already facing the way they need to be. The only thing to do is move bearings/races. Check out the pictures of the spare front differentials at Eastern Surplus... http://www.easternsurplus.net/rearb.jpg

The method of rear axle disengagment you mention requires one double splined axle and only one Selectro lockout hub. Check elsewhere in this forum... it has been discussed in detail.

Does that clarify it a little? Hope so.

Matt

Longhunter7

DB,

The rims are the stock rims, nothing major needs to be done as long as you don't go too wide with the tires! The above information explains it very well!

Keep em rollin! :roll:

FSBruva

Kaydet said:
IHG's method involves acquiring 4 more hubs (from two front differentials), because then the lugs are already facing the way they need to be. The only thing to do is move bearings/races.
I had to correct myself. The other advantage of doing it IHG's way is that the races DO NOT need to be flipped either. It's a rather elegant solution, really, if price is not a determining factor.

Matt