• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb 813 fuel question

Barneyszoo

Changed the fuel filter, truck started and ran for about a minute, Then died. Now it wont start, do I need to prime the pump or fill the filter canester before I put it on, or should I just crank it till it starts? Got pressure at the prime pump on the dash, but no fuel comes out of the bleeder on the bottom of the fuel filter can.

armytruck63

Filling the cannister is not recommended because of the possbility of getting dirt into your expensive IP. Just be prepared to pump the prime handle about 156 times.

FormerNewMVGuy

According to the TM your supposed to close the drain s at the filter, and open the drian up by the glowplug and pump the primer handle until fuel comes out of that drain, then close thst drain and your truck should then start....Its all in the TM's

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your building pressure but getting no fuel out the bleeder valve, you probably have a stuck check ball in the primer.

Remove the primer from the dash, and remove the 2 screws. Under the screws you'll find a spring and steel ball. Use carb cleaner and a Q tip. Don't loose the springs or balls.

Replace your o-ring while your at it.

Had to prime 2 818's in the last week. Quick and easy way (takes 2 people and 1 minute) is to remove one of the vent lines on the fuel tank and plug the fitting so no air can escape from the tank. I use electrical tape but you could jam a bolt into the fitting if handy. Remove the other vent line and pressurize the fuel tank (low pressure, 5psi. is plenty) using an air pig, air compressor, or your wife. Have a friend crack the bleeder on top of the IP and wait for a steady flow of fuel. Close the bleeder and you are done.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You had pressure but nothing in the can because there was fuel from the can through the TP and in your primer line. If you open the bleeder for the primer you will get what seems like a lot of fuel but then the air will start and you will loose pressure till the can is full again. Yes pressure the tank is what I do to speed things up. I to believe this is a cleaner way to change the filter but what do I know?

Rgdl

I replaced the fuel filter drain petcock on mine since it was leaking and I suspected this might be the reason my M818 wasn't starting. As per instructions I opened the fuel drain at the IP and began pumping the primer. Fuel came out immediately. I pumped it a few more times to make sure it wasn't just leftover fuel in the line between the filter and the pump. Fuel kept flowing so I closed the drain and attepted to start the truck.

The truck did not start so I commenced pumping the primer again. There was pressure at the primer since the it was hard pumping it, then suddenly there was zero pressure. Now when I pump the primer there is no resistance at all. Did I break something?

Barneyszoo

Thanks for all the help, filled the can with fuel and reinstalled not to easy without making a mess. Cranked it for a bit and it fired up and ran good. One thing I noticed was that while punping the prime I started to get fuel leaking from the rubber coupling on the air cleaner. So gonna change that, it has some small cracks in it. I think next time I change the filter I'll get the spin on kit. Thanks everone.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PT pump is a positive displacement gear pump. Even if the filter is dry, it will pick up fuel. Just put your foot to the wood and crank it. Trust me!

Filling the filter is old school, it has been done for years, but, when you do this you put unfiltered fuel into the pump. Old school days the fuel had way more lubricity, now is a different story. Too many class fit pieces in there that could bind up. Use the primer and crank the engine.

Last edited:

Barneyszoo

Thanks, Will. But I pumped the pimer pump till I had fuel leaking all over the fender well and frame. Cranked for a total of about 45 min.. When I took the fule can off it had no fule in it. So I tried old school and filled it, and it fired up in about a minute. I don't know what else I could have done. I poured the fule through a piant filter before I put it in the filter can.

crasheej

You crank one of these trucks to long and you will be looking for a starter. And at 79 lbs they are a lot of fun to get up out of there. Plus they are not cheap. Presto lite parts are not available and can't be repaired.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the fuel filter drain petcock on mine since it was leaking and I suspected this might be the reason my M818 wasn't starting. As per instructions I opened the fuel drain at the IP and began pumping the primer. Fuel came out immediately. I pumped it a few more times to make sure it wasn't just leftover fuel in the line between the filter and the pump. Fuel kept flowing so I closed the drain and attepted to start the truck.

The truck did not start so I commenced pumping the primer again. There was pressure at the primer since the it was hard pumping it, then suddenly there was zero pressure. Now when I pump the primer there is no resistance at all. Did I break something?
See the post above this one.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PT pump is a positive displacement gear pump. Even if the filter is dry, it will pick up fuel. Just put your foot to the wood and crank it. Trust me!

Filling the filter is old school, it has been done for years, but, when you do this you put unfiltered fuel into the pump. Old school days the fuel had way more lubricity, now is a different story. Too many class fit pieces in there that could bind up. Use the primer and crank the engine.

I installed a locking ball ball valve on the tank side of the filter for security purposes. It does serve a secondary purpose also I come to learn. When changing the filter I close the ball valve and I do not lose prime.

WillWagner says just keep cranking and it will fire. Did it twice on my 818 and what'd you know?

Last edited:

highsiera

May seem like (another) dumb question. Just got my m 817 and have started going thru some of the usual items. the truck was deliverred not running, but is complete and everything appears to be in well maintained condition.
my question went to drain the sediment/ water from the filter cannister, moved the petcock "out" on the top of the can (tank side) and the petcock on the bottom out also. Only got about an inch of fuel out into my mason jar, then just drips. I haven't cracked the can yet because I'm waiting on a fuel filter to be deliverred.
I've read the tm's, says there should be a pint or so, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

Autocar

Quick and easy way (takes 2 people and 1 minute) is to remove one of the vent lines on the fuel tank and plug the fitting so no air can escape from the tank. I use electrical tape but you could jam a bolt into the fitting if handy.
An even easier way to do it is to unscrew the vent fitting for the fuel tank vent lines that is mounted high up on the firewall on the passenger side. Stick an air nozzle into the vent hole and pressurize with low pressure(5 PSI). The vent lines are so small that it takes 10 seconds at least to pressurize the tanks and even longer to leak off the pressure so you can run over to the IP and bleed it by yourself.

Armada

May seem like (another) dumb question. Just got my m 817 and have started going thru some of the usual items. the truck was deliverred not running, but is complete and everything appears to be in well maintained condition.
my question went to drain the sediment/ water from the filter cannister, moved the petcock "out" on the top of the can (tank side) and the petcock on the bottom out also. Only got about an inch of fuel out into my mason jar, then just drips. I haven't cracked the can yet because I'm waiting on a fuel filter to be deliverred.
I've read the tm's, says there should be a pint or so, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.
Sediment may be plugging drain. Pull the filter canister and clean out. Use air to blow out the drain to be sure it's clean. Put in a new filter and canister seal. Replace the o'ring on the center bolt and make sure the square washer is flat and properly positioned.
You do not know the history of this 'new to you' truck, so who knows the condition of the filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks