• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DWF exhaust pipe question

tgejesse

Sorry to revive this old thread.
In 2017, I bought a well-used (rusted) DWF exhaust. At that time, there were only early, unarmoured Humvees auctioned off, so I was completely sure to have the exhaust for the non-armoured trucks.
Now recently, I wanted to finally fit the restored exhaust to my (non-armoured) M1045A2 USMC slantback, and to my utter surprise, it seems to stand out too far from the body. However, I didn´t loosen the rear muffler, so I´m not entirely sure.

With a bit of wiggeling, I was almost able to squeeze the bolts (which are welded to the exhaust) into the rubber grommets, but then the exhaust would not be parallel to the body in the vertical.

Did I really get an armoured truck exhaust ? Is there any way to clearly identify the different versions of this exhaust ?
It’s about a 2 inch difference

cut it, weld it and mount it!

Attachments

AAVP7

That´s why I have doubts which version I have. When I press the exhaust tube against the flange on the muffler, it seems to be about an inch too far out, not two inches.
I just want to make sure which version I have before I cut perhaps a perfectly OK non-armoured exhaust, just because the muffler is badly aligned.

Is there any measurement I could take to verify the version ? Or are the welded-on bolts an indicator of one version ? The manuals show that only for the non-armoured version; the armoured version seems to have holes and extra bolts.

AAVP7

OK, I sorted this. With a helper, it was no problem to first attach the exhaust flange to the muffler with the three bolts, and then push the two upper bolts into the rubber mounts on the body. Took a bit of a queeze by two lads to press the exhaust inwards enough to get the nuts on, but it worked.

And the exhaust is more or less parallel to the body, so I´m sure now that it is a non-armoured version.

I´ve taken a measurement of my exhaust; might help somebody in the future when in doubt if he has a armoured or non-armoured exhaust:

Scan0002.jpg

The measurement is pretty rough, so don´t quote me on the exact millimeter, but I understand the armoured exhaust stands out two inches more, so 50 mm, and that is a noticeable diffence.

VermontM998A1

Good morning,
I am will be purchasing a deep water exhaust kit for my 1994 M998-A1. I see a lot of questions about armored vs non-armored exhaust. I have a non-armored vehicle and based upon the TM I will be ordering part # 12339849. Is it still possible that I will received an exhaust that stickes out too far from the fender and will need to modified?

Any info is appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks