• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dyed Diesel / off road fuel.......

IYAOYAS

:ditto:

Yep! N.C. Highway Tax Enforcement (NC Troopers) are under a lot of pressure by the State to bring in as much revenue as possiable.... thus checking diesel tanks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am not a lawyer but the WMO and WVO could be considered as "additives" used to lubricate the new diesel fuel to keep from damaging my old engine.
As long as there is some taxed fuel in the system you have paid a fuel tax.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

jpekarek

In NC at least, whenever they feel like it.

They tend to gather at tractor shows, livestock auctions, and other places where lots of diesels will end up and walk around dipping tanks in the parking lot.

I have also seen them target vehciles with in bed transfer tanks.

The one time I was dipped I was at a pump filling jerry cans with dyed fuel for generator use, Motor Carrier officer drove by, saw me, and swung around to check me.
How do they dip the tanks on some regular pickup trucks that have anti-siphoning block screens?

mcmullag

green fuel tax rate, red fuel tax rate

Diesel for road use in cars and trucks is dyed green, possibly olive drab green. Off road equipment like a loader or excavator or farm tractor uses red dyed diesel since they are not using the roads and bridges so therefore red dyed stuff is taxed way less.
I dont want to hijack this thread but I do want to point out something that seems strange to me. For road diesel, the green stuff, the Feds get approx. 24.4 cents per gallon price, for roads and bridges. The states on average get 19 cents a gallon price, for roads and bridges. Why did the Feds need to pass some bill that put something like $700 billion dollars into work projects ( shovel ready projects) to go to highways and roads and bridges? Doesnt that seem really weird, and no one questioned it, all taxpayers across the nation, some whom may not own a vehicle, paying taxes for roads? If roads and bridges need replacing, why not increase the cost of fuel so only people whom use these parts of infrastructure, pay for them? That is what the fuel taxes are for. I just find this very strange. Another way to look at it, if local schools need more money, they increase local property taxes year by year to cover increasing costs or needs, etc.

monkeythumbs

We don't have any gas pumps in my area selling off road diesel so this is really not an issue for me. I'm just curious as I know some farmers that have MV's and they run a mixture of Off road and WMO in their tanks, so lets assume they get "dipped" and it comes up blackish/reddish ? Ticket or not in your opinion?

Gatnom

Pennsylvanis has added a tailpipe sniff to determine the sulfer content of the fuel being used. Anything over the current 15 ppm on road content is trouble. Our off road fuel is 15 ppm sulfer now also. The sniffers give them the chance to check on you to see if you're running 500 ppm home heating oil in your diesel eqipment off road as well. More fines / more money. Gotta love Big Brother!

rubicon_in_ga

Since a couple folks mentioned a Fuel Blender's License, does anybody know if Georgia offers anything like that? I did a quick Google search but couldn't find anything specific.

Whitey

I've noticed a lot of talk about certain states cracking down, NC being one of them. I was wondering if anyone has noticed increased enforcement in their home state/ area. I'm in Maryland and know that our state troopers are pretty rigid at the scales from what I've heard, but don't know about fuel checks.

mtnrebel

Pennsylvanis has added a tailpipe sniff to determine the sulfer content of the fuel being used. Anything over the current 15 ppm on road content is trouble. Our off road fuel is 15 ppm sulfer now also. The sniffers give them the chance to check on you to see if you're running 500 ppm home heating oil in your diesel eqipment off road as well. More fines / more money. Gotta love Big Brother!
Working for an oil distributor, i know the ultra-low sulpher is found it's way into #2 fuel. all our gaskets, plungers, and loading racks have sprung major leaks within the past 6 weeks due to this crap. this ultra low will dry out pretty much anything that aint made of metal, i am seeing it first hand.