• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easter find M1008 2015

cucvrus

Meanwhile back in the barn yard. The relentless work continues. I do get by with a little help from my friends and family.DSCF3601.jpgDSCF3600.jpgDSCF3603.jpgDSCF3602.jpgDSCF3604.jpgWell at 245 the brown was on. Then it was time to clean the gun again. At 330 the black was on. Time to clean the gun and put everything away. The barn yard was at an idle. No riding motorcycles or mowing grass during paint jobs. DSCF3618.jpgDSCF3617.jpgDSCF3616.jpgDSCF3615.jpgDSCF3619.jpgThere you have it. I am sure I violated some code. To much work performed on one day without a permit. Now to sit back and watch the paint dry. i have a Grand daughters birthday party to attend now. All in a days work. I can smell the pork that I have been smoking. It is cooking out on the Treager. Motorcycle rides for all the little folks. And a few of the bad girls too.

cucvrus

DSCF3620.jpgDSCF3622.jpgA few parting shots. I must admit I cheated. I copied off the 1985 M1028 with the lift kit. It was parked right out side the doorand i just kept rotating it as needed to see the camouflage pattern. DSCF3621.jpgHave a great day. I have to run. Shower and change then. Party time.

cucvrus

Tore some tape out of all the jambs today. That was at 0700. Then when I went for coffee I decided I needed to whack weeds again. I have a new Stihl trimmer. Amazing how you don't notice what you are missing till you get something new. The old stuff just dies slowly and you hardly take notice. Same a vehicles.

Hello!

I have just discovered this thread and read it briefly.
My respect for the many work. Very good.
Thanks for this thread.

In German:
Ich habe diesen Thread eben entdeckt und mal kurz durchgeblättert.
Meinen Respekt vor der vielen Arbeit. Sehr gut.
Vielen Dank für diesen Thread.

Greetings from Germany,

Holgi

cucvrus

That's an idea. Line them up have sanders, tapers, washers, driers, one guy sealing, another 3 people coming along with the paint. 1 green, 1 brown, 1 black. About 10 FT. apart. It could be done. No standing around, smoking and texting. I can see it now. 8 hours 5 trucks could be painted. Have a Great Day. Enjoy the fall weather and use it to your advantage. Bigger trucks not so many.

cucvrus

Your work never ceases to amaze me!

In my words. My work never ceases. It amazes me at how much I can get completed when I apply myself. I have days that I get kicked back a bit. I start off everyday as if it is going to be the best. I don't hang out with negative naysayers. And nothing makes me motivated more then other peoples lack of motivation. It's a simple task. Get it done and do the best you can do with what you have and I am sure it will be great. The biggest best and most expensive is most times not the BEST. That simple.
KISS is an acronym for "Keep it simple, stupid" as a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore simplicity should be a key goal in design and unnecessary complexity should be avoided. The phrase has been associated with aircraft engineer Kelly Johnson (1910–1990).[SUP][3][/SUP] The term "KISS principle" was in popular use by 1970.[SUP][4][/SUP] Variations on the phrase include "Keep it Simple, Silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it simple and straightforward"[SUP][5][/SUP] and "keep it small and simple".[SUP][6]

IMHO that is the stock CUCV in a nutshell. KISS. And be done with it. [/SUP]​

cucvrus

Unwrapped the M1008

DSCF3652.jpgDSCF3653.jpgA few tips for beginners. many times i see vehicles and they look all nice on the outer surface. When I open the hood and the doors the jambs are all ugly and over sprayed. My barn jobs are NOT perfect by a long shot. But I spend a lot of time covering everything that I don't want painted and over sprayed. Over spray is ugly and looks bad. I cover the entire engine compartment and the hood jambs on the hood ,hinges and fenders. The cowl screen is not supposed to have green plastic so I tape it up. Same goes for wiper transmission mounts. Black plastic item. Trying to help here and teach.DSCF3654.jpgDSCF3655.jpgNotice the clean crisp edges. Even where it don't matter. It matters. It is attention to detail that sets your truck apart from the other ones. Take your time. Don't rush and use the right material. This is an unheated barn that is serviced with a standard extension cord.

cucvrus

DSCF3657.jpgDSCF3656.jpgDSCF3658.jpgMost of the parts are original parts that I wiped off and reinstalled after painting and assembling the truck. I never detailed anything yet. And a few of my fasteners are non standard. And when I drive by at 60 mph you will never notice that I promise. I will not get any awardsDSCF3660.jpgDSCF3661.jpgDSCF3662.jpg for my work and I am happier to give tips to others to encourage them to copy or best my build. I am sure many do. Notice how taping the jambs keeps the sealer and paint out of the nice clean green door jambs. Have a great day. I hope this is an encouragement and helps you do it just about right.

Attachments

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks cucvrus! These guys have a gazillion products. I am working on an M1008 as well,
so which specific products did you get. I am an old guy, but this is the first car I have ever
tried to paint. It wont be as nice as yours, but I will still try to get it looking good and protected
from the elements.

cucvrus

Let me get some specific numbers and I will PM them to you. That way I will avoid the bigger better best controversy that surrounds this site with every product your procure and use. Sort of my only secret recipe so it don't need to be scrutinized. I know it works and I keep doing it the same way. KO?

cucvrus

Grille work on the M1008

DSCF3680.jpgDSCF3681.jpgDSCF3682.jpgDSCF3683.jpgDSCF3684.jpgDSCF3685.jpgDSCF3686.jpgDSCF3687.jpgDSCF3688.jpgSince I planned on not being home today I guess all of this is ahead of schedule work. But that is how I look at it. I stopped when i realized I had other things waiting for paint to dry. I also need to get some front pigtails for the park lamps. I did make a bit of progress. It is slow. Most people will not be willing to pay time and materials on these jobs. I take my time and look over everything. I assemble it once and right the first time. As well as I can with what I have. I need to paint head lamp bezels and mirrors yet. Getting the lights bumpers and brush guard on are the easy part. The doors and interior are the hard part. 1 door a day will be a good goal. I still have the old doors assembled. I put all new rubbers in them 20 years ago. Genuine GM ones. I guess I will find out. they looked great when I looked at them. October already. Have a great weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks