• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy way to tell an M101a2 fron M101a3???

Darwin T

first things first, yes i searched and yes i when to JATONKA's TM page and either i missed it or it was not where i looked. is there an easy way to tell the difference. my trailers are 42.5 miles apart by road. i did not think to compare them Friday when i had them together and still i would not know the difference. does the M101a3 have something the M101a2 does not? i did finda post on here that said the M101a3 has a 55" measurement between the wheel wells.

Attachments

Darwin T

looking again at the TM (page 1-12 Change 2) the a2 has 5 springs and the a3 has 6. the a2 has a 3" frame and the a3 has a 4" frame. is there any way i could tell from the pictures being that i am not near either one?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A true A3 should have the fender ext and combat rims. The sure way to tell is the raised center axle section. Too many times I have seen the bed from an A2 on an A3 frame. Best bet is to look at the axle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The ones you have pictured look like A2s to me. An A3 will have the rim/wheel stick out from under the A2 bed noticeably.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't the 2nd pic look like it has a dropped axle? Definately has an A2 bed and wheels. (hard to tell in the pic)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me preface this with the fact that there is a huge hodge podge of trailer parts thrown together to make trailers. Someone referred to it as "trailer salad" and I'd agree. The A3 doess have a wider frame under the box. Once you see both together it becomes very obvious. The wider stepped up axle is also a good indication. The true A3 box has the fenders placed 5" farther out on each side. That is where the 55" between the inner fenders comes from. Of course the A3 is supposed to have HMMWV rolling stock. Take every bit of this with a grain of salt as the Gov't has tossed all of it together. In Pic 2 the trailer has an A2 box but does have the wider A3 axle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so the a2 box is 50" between the inner fenders?
That's 5" per side. You will find that the A1 and A2 has only 45" between the fenders just enough to make you think plywood would fit not enough to have it actually fit. Same with S250 shelters.

You can walk by an A3 box and sit your beer on the fender without having to balance it on the edge.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice clean trailers. It looks like the one in the second picture, from the tire stickout, might have the heavier A3 axle and suspension under it. I have seen that around here. Trailer salad is a good description. Like they were doing a "clean up" of trailer parts, before they went to the 1101.

tbearatkin

So lets toss some more confusion into the ID this trailer. I have one that says A3 body on a A2 frame. But there is not 50" between the wheel wells but the 45" of a A2 it does have the springs of an A3.

So a tossed salad it is

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So lets toss some more confusion into the ID this trailer. I have one that says A3 body on a A2 frame. But there is not 50" between the wheel wells but the 45" of a A2 it does have the springs of an A3.

So a tossed salad it is

Yup, trailer salad. Forget what it says first. You certainly have an A2 box and an A2 axle. Has A3 springs and frame. I built one just like it except it had an SECM body instead of a cargo body.

Darwin T

"Trailer Salad" is correct good eye Recovery4x4. picture two is an a3 axle with an a2 bed w/CBC.

Let me preface this with the fact that there is a huge hodge podge of trailer parts thrown together to make trailers. Someone referred to it as "trailer salad" and I'd agree. The A3 doess have a wider frame under the box. Once you see both together it becomes very obvious. The wider stepped up axle is also a good indication. The true A3 box has the fenders placed 5" farther out on each side. That is where the 55" between the inner fenders comes from. Of course the A3 is supposed to have HMMWV rolling stock. Take every bit of this with a grain of salt as the Gov't has tossed all of it together. In Pic 2 the trailer has an A2 box but does have the wider A3 axle.
thanks for the a3 fender picture hndrsonj

Here's an A3 trailer.
thanks everyone for the help to remove my confussion. now what do i put down when i go to the DMV? "M101 w/CBC" it is.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks