• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy way to tell an M101a2 fron M101a3???

"Trailer Salad" is correct good eye Recovery4x4. picture two is an a3 axle with an a2 bed w/CBC.

thanks for the a3 fender picture hndrsonj

thanks everyone for the help to remove my confussion. now what do i put down when i go to the DMV? "M101 w/CBC" it is.

Is the A3 axle on a M116A2 or A3 frame?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out the sling points on these 2 trailers. The weldement for the shackle is the height of the frame on the A1, on the A3 there is an inch of steel frame visible. Sorry, don't know how to draw on pics.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3 frame and axle. A2 box. See the red splotch? That space above the shackle mount doesn't exist on the A1/A2 chassis.

Attachments

Darwin T

so i went to my farm and took some pictures of my other M101 w/CBC. A2 axles, A2 Box but is the frame an a3? i forgot to count the springs.

EDIT: from the first picture it looks like 5 springs, A2.

Attachments

Last edited:

LuckyDog

so i went to my farm and took some pictures of my other M101 w/CBC. A2 axles, A2 Box but is the frame an a3? i forgot to count the springs.

EDIT: from the first picture it looks like 5 springs, A2.
WOW, it really is trailer salad with these things.

Looks like, (to me)

A2 axles,
A2 Box
A2 springs
but the frame IS an A3.

So, how would you weight rate that one?????:shock:

Ressoldier

Ok first off I am surprised no one else has said this already.... you have two trailers with the CBC... lucky you. I have not been able to find even one with the CBC and yet you have two. :shock: :drool: :mrgreen:

Although I believe the box on the last trailer(darker one) is an A1 box since it doesnt have the additional support ribs like your other trailer. However I am a total noob and not entirely sure. A2 springs and axle and 116A3 frame.

My trailer is the same as your dark one with A2 springs and axle, A1 box and M116A3 frame

Lex_Ordo

Leave something in service long enough, and how it was procured and delivered from the factory won't be how it is surplused.

Better to get something that wasn't really wanted but ordered anyway; And soon after it was delivered, was decided that it was no longer supportable and excessed to make room for a new product.

Darwin T

how do you tell a A1 box from an A2 box? the A3 has fenders that stick out.

Ressoldier i also have a CBC to put into my M105a2 (still in one of my M35a2's) that the trailer in the middle of the 3rd picture of my Minnions. i only bought the 2nd M101 w/CBC because i was bought the M105 CBC Shelter and was going to pick it up and he had the M101 w/CBC. i tried to get another SS member to buy it so i would not have to.

i think i am addicted to MV's.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure that there is an A1 and A2 box. I refer to them as that but I think its more of a first and second design. The older boxes didn't have the end re-enforced for the lifting eyes. I need to see if I can scare up some pics to show it.

Edit, compare these 2 pics. The extra support beam is the later box.

Attachments

Last edited:

Darwin T

so if i understand this right, the first picture above (and post #29) with the silver doors is an A3 frame, A2 axles with an A1 bed.

trailer salad

Edit: Recovery4x4 is this what you were talking about on an A3 frame?

Attachments

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So to bump an old thread, even though I’m sure this information is covered somerwhere but I just can’t seem to dig it up:

Are the side racks (and subsequently bows and cargo cover) interchangeable between A1, A2, and A3 cargo bodies?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks