• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ebay Aluminum Radiator Installation

ssdvc

So I took my old radiator to a "mom and pop" radiator shop. The mechanic is 82 years old and lifted the old radiator out of the car like it was a pack of gum!! Amazing!

He immediately the radiator on this rotating arch type hoist, plugged all the holes, lowered into the pool of green water, pressurized the whole thing and went leak hunting (and charge to test it, unlike the other two places I went to $75 and $100 for a test). He discovered three leaks - first was around the heater hose bung (easily repairable) and the second was around the low coolant sensor bung (again, easily repairable). The one that stuck a stake in the core itself was in the upper corner of the drivers side of the unit. This will require the core to be replaced, because it had been leaking for a while (didn't even realize it), causing several pin hole leaks in the core tubes (more a weeping leak than anything else) and also corroded the fins on that side of the radiator (if you ran your finger lightly across those fins they would just come apart).

Anyway, he got on the phone, called a place in Maine that makes cores, found they had one on the shelf and that they could ship it to him and he'd get it by Friday. Total, with the new core, tanks squared away and leak free is going to cost me $946.00 ( 🤮 OUCH!!!!!). Pulled the trigger and I should have it back by Tuesday. The cost is a set back, but I think, after careful consideration, this is the ONLY way to go.....for now.

ssdvc

OK, the end of this saga is here, for the most part.

Got my radiator back from the shop. It looks great. For all you SS guys in the local area, this guy does fantastic work, doesn't charge for testing to see what is wrong and doesn't gouge you for his time either (Woodstock Radiator and Repair, Woodstock CT). Although 82 years old, he hoisted my radiator with little to no effort, so he is still going strong.

IMG_3954.JPG

Repair included full brass and cooper 4 core, re-solder of all connection bungs, rehabbed the tanks and installed a new radiator cap neck.

IMG_3955.JPGIMG_3956.JPG

Got it home and installed, hooked up and filled. No leaks, runs, drips or errors.

IMG_3968.JPGIMG_3969.JPGIMG_3970.JPGIMG_3971.JPGIMG_3972.JPGIMG_3973.JPG

Ran her for about an hour, heat on full blast. Waiting for her to cool down so I can check the coolant level and for any leaks.

As for the aluminum one, I am going to have the stripped oil coolant line bung repaired with a helicoil and that one should be ready to go. I will repair because I Just hate to chuck $300 out in the trash.

That's it for now, thank for the help and suggestions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks