• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ebay starters...bad idea?

dabtl

Talking to my starter repair guy leads me to believe that many RV starters can be interchanged with the stock starter. Apparently, the bolt pattern and such are standard and the batteries cannot tell one 24v starter from another.

crunchie

I bought a mini starter off ebay a few weeks ago from DB Electrical in TN. So far so good. :-D Called them first and asked all the questions about 24V MV starters and was sold because they had all the answers. They have been in business since 1981.

M725

If you have a core I go to a rebuilt shop. I have and they have been cheaper then buying a rebuilt one at the auto parts store. Or a new one on Ebay. I haven't pay more than $85 to have one rebuilt.

crunchie

My starter had the nose broken off, I plan on having the starter rebuilt for a spare. There is a rebuild shop for starters & altenators near my job and they told me to bring it in for a estimate, what should I expect to pay for a complete rebuild???

m38inmaine

I bought mine from DB, after about 30 days the nose cone bushing fell out. I replaced the nose cone from another one I had as a fix. Did not have time to send it back/exchange. I think if you can, have the original rebuilt. The newer starter is easier to install, and lighter.

hobie237

My starter had the nose broken off, I plan on having the starter rebuilt for a spare. There is a rebuild shop for starters & altenators near my job and they told me to bring it in for a estimate, what should I expect to pay for a complete rebuild???

I've heard prices between $75 and $100. Even at the high end of the scale, it's still cheaper (and likely faster) than buying an unknown replacement, and the quality of the rebuilt component is known.

scrapman

I have also done business with DB. (alternators 12 & 24 volt) Been satisfied with the live on phone service and are helpful with solenoid switches too. Using a nearby rebuild shop does give you several advantages. You can have a good idea of how long they have been in business & see if their mechanics are long term employees. If they are doing business with companies that have diesel fleets to maintain the parts & cores that you would need are on site giving you a quick turnaround time. Being able to discuss possible upgrades is a plus. Iron & aluminum noses are available along with block/starter support braces. To get a good heavy duty starter it does not need to say "military" on the box. Go local 'cause they know if it goes bad you will be coming back.

crunchie

I had to make an adjustment on mine by drilling another hole in the bracket so it would line up. Mount bracket to engine bock then install starter, mark bracket where it lines up with starter. Take bracket off and drill new hole.

dependable

I have bought these cheep gear reduction starters both Powerpoint and Wes, or something like that that bought out Wilson..They were made in china, sold with no core exchange for around $170. Auto parts stores can get them as well, then you have someone to deal with when they fail early. The solenoids seem to be good for about 6 months. Am trying some a Brazilian solenoid now. Was told original delco 24v ones cost as much as a starter, but have not been able to find for gear reduction model.

Hoolio

Aftermarket 24 v. starters

I bought a high speed 24 v. starter from Ebay..Cost was 165.00 plus freight..Looks like a Nippo starter from a Case backhoe..Works good , fast , relatively quiet..Problem is , it ain't even built in Japan..Chinaboy built..Anxious to see how it fares in winter..I have the old starter [was rebuilt] just incase..Bought my 1008 a couple of months ago with 2400 miles on it....Have a question about my chev 1008.....When I start it and drive for a while.. It starts to cackle like I gave it a shot of starting fliud..It then straightens out and runs excellent..Lasts for about 5 to 10 seconds each time..Thanks , Roy

pbrstreetgang

Starter location

I am, let us say, mechanically challenged, curiosly only when it comes to vehicles.

I promised myself that I was going to finally learn automotive mechanics by tinkering with a M1009 that I intend to use as a daily driver.

I have located almost all of the trouble spots on the truck that I have seen mentioned on here (Glow Plug Relay, Glow Plugs, Resistor Bank, Fuel Pump, Alternators, etc.)

I cannot locate the starter, so now I am beginning to think that it is not in there - that it is in the other guy's truck, the one that drove his off base the week before.

A lesson in humility yes, but I fully believe in Guess, Test, and Revise. :roll:

Best that I can tell, it should be between the passenger side alternator and the front battery, but I cannot see any evidence of it missing like empty bolt channels, mount, etc.

Post some pics please, I need a map

Now do your worst while launching your insults :wink:

84cucv1ton

the jap starters i ended up with are junk. have 4 all done. they are cheap crap. i had a bunch of stock ones rebuilt. no problems at all. the ones i had were 28mt i think.. i guy i meet works for gm. said the 28mt is made in a few places. all not here. the delco 28 mt is the same as the jap ones. i dont know for sure i never saw one..

can tell you this, rebuilt the old one. 2 new 1000 cca batteries. 2 seconds starts right up!

Somemedic

Im a little enlightened when it comes to these...

Autozone in your area sells a starter that will do just fine. It has a lifetime warranty. I would suggest in the STRONGEST possible terms that you go to a chevy dealer and get the proper starter bolt for this application as the chevy 350 starter bolt is not the correct bolt. Use the support bracket also that takes some of the weight off the end of the starter. AZ carries an older, heavier starter that will use the support bracket and bolt right in. Theres also a newer smaller and lighter version which will require you to drill another hole in your support bracket for things to line up. I believe both starters are 12v and will take the 24v w/o issue. I have been using these starters w/ a few issues (broke a nose cone/ connection came loose and arc welded some stuff) but nothing that wouldnt have been avoided had I done a little PM a week or so after installing.

Im sure theres gonna be some folks screaming blasphemy at me but I can take it and the starters do work.