• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of issues with just about everything that guy has to say. Clearly doesn't know his fourth point of contact from a hole in the ground. Please don't go on YouTube and talk about military :poop: like you know about military :poop: when you clearly haven't been in the military and aren't qualified or knowledgeable. Definitely DO NOT tell people the hand throttle is a cruise control. 🤦‍♂️

NOT Subscribed.

Last edited:

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of issues with just about everything that guy has to say. Clearly doesn't know his fourth point of contact from a hole in the ground. Please don't go on YouTube and talk about military :poop: like you know about military :poop: when you clearly haven't been in the military and aren't qualified or knowledgeable. Definitely DO NOT tell people the hand throttle is a cruise control. 🤦‍♂️

NOT Subscribed.
I hear He's interested in going to the S&S school of hard knocks. 😂

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear He's interested in going to the S&S school of hard knocks. 😂
In stock form the hand throttle won't work as a cruise control because it's not supposed to bring the engine up to near redline so it won't let you do highway speeds. But with the ECO hubs it probably kinda works. But won't disengage when you hit the brakes, etc. Using the hand throttle for such foolishness is probably going to get you a personal meeting with the First Sargent or worse. That's a PVT Snuffy peeling potatoes on KP for a week type of "mistake". Don't do that - don't even joke about it. That's how accidents happen in convoy and soldiers get hurt or dead.

AKPacker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These have been out a good while now and I have yet to see any negative reviews or major issues crop up. They're on my short list of "must have" upgrades to install before I drive my truck home and were a major factor that swayed me back into wanting a LMTV.

What sort of long-term fuel mileages are you guys with C7 trucks seeing?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These have been out a good while now and I have yet to see any negative reviews or major issues crop up. They're on my short list of "must have" upgrades to install before I drive my truck home and were a major factor that swayed me back into wanting a LMTV.

What sort of long-term fuel mileages are you guys with C7 trucks seeing?
In the neighborhood of 10. Depends on how fast you drive.

Ronmar

Well I imagine it would be similar to running them with standard size tires and 3.07 gears and I am aware of a few that are doing that. None have any issues I am aware of. The C7 and 3126 have a little lower peak torque RPM, so I do not think it will be a bad match, and a little under pk torque is not a real issue and may even yeild a little better mileage, as long as you have enough torque to perform the work At that RPM. If you don‘t the trans will downshift… considering these things motor down the highway with 2:1 hubs, at max engine RPM with only ~1/2 of peak torque available, you should be able to do the same thing on the low rpm side(~1/2 of pk torque) of the power curve…

Last edited:

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know how it works out. Lots of trucks with 3:07 running eco hubs. I would bet you might not be in O.D. At 60 mph.
But that’s ok.
Hey I still have that setup. Only observation is that I never see gear 7 and only feel 6 kick in on flats at 75mph. The take-off effort is a little strained on uphill starts (my drive entrance to the main road is 10% grade for 50'). So when I go back to 3.90s soon, I expect I'll simply be running in 6 more with occasional 7. But I'll have better start out in 2.

Ronmar

Hey I still have that setup. Only observation is that I never see gear 7 and only feel 6 kick in on flats at 75mph. The take-off effort is a little strained on uphill starts (my drive entrance to the main road is 10% grade for 50'). So when I go back to 3.90s soon, I expect I'll simply be running in 6 more with occasional 7. But I'll have better start out in 2.
Do you have a tach, and do you know your vehicle weight? RPM during that 2nd gear start up a 10% grade and your weight would give us an idea exactly how "strained" that type of a start is...:)

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a tach, and do you know your vehicle weight? RPM during that 2nd gear start up a 10% grade and your weight would give us an idea exactly how "strained" that type of a start is...:)
Tach goes in on Tuesday lol. Weight was 17400 at the last scale i was on. Rpm sounded like the same level as the high idle but it's just a swag.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks