• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I will throw this out to see if anyone is interested. If we have a member that’s close to Angola Indiana that would like to purchase a set of Eco Hubs. I will do the labor of installing a set and video the procedure. The truck would need to be in running condition
and dropped off to allow me time to get it done. Preferably a 4x4. Only one set. :) Pm if you have interest……
Come on out to NC, I’ll hook you up - even a place to stay.

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Wingnut if you find a cheaper way to get sets to New England please let me know, I am sure shipping on these is costly.
Hi, there shouldn’t be any problem getting the hub kits to New England, I think shipping would still be 50.00 for the 4x4
and 60.00 for the 6x6. He may have been referring to my offer to install a set for free labor if you can get the truck to
North east Indiana. One set only.

Tortuga

Hi, there shouldn’t be any problem getting the hub kits to New England, I think shipping would still be 50.00 for the 4x4
and 60.00 for the 6x6. He may have been referring to my offer to install a set for free labor if you can get the truck to
North east Indiana. One set only.
Wow, that's not bad at all. For some reason in my head it seemed like shipping would have been way more. Do you know if there are any users near CT that have a kits installed yet? Thanks

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the late reply, no shipping seems very reasonable! I’ve got so many projects on my plate that the free labor was the real draw! Hahaha

I’ll get to ordering a set at some point. I need tires too. I’ll get around to it at some point. I’ve got that new light set onboard too.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does it start off on hills with the 3116?
I’m on the fence and waiting for feedback on real world driving
It's going to work just fine. In every application thus far (I've done three including a 24k lb M1088 with 3.07's and the 3126b) the performance is just as good or better than before. Literally every single person that has done this mod has absolutely loved it and has absolutely no plans to go back. You'll be happy with it - get them while you can.

roverchef

I have now put 1k miles on a set of Eco-Hubs and cannot say enough positive things about them! Cab noise is quiet enough for me to hear the voices in my head...saying "slow down"! Power and torque is waaaay within it's band again! It doesn't even feel like the same truck. I also have 3.07 gears installed and man is it fast...I backed off @ 90mph just cause the tires are old. It is a 1078 A0(3116) with no fuel tuning yet and I'm not sure I'm even gonna mess with that now. If you are on the fence you should fall off and get a set. Less than half the price of 3.07 gears and 1/4 of the labor time. Haven't really done mileage yet due to my right foot has gotten "fat" now having the ability to move this brick faster down the road but I do know it has improved dramatically. Thank you Mike for doing the R&D and making a quality product. END OF SALES PLUG

Anyone want the hubs/gear sets that came off?

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
I have now put 1k miles on a set of Eco-Hubs and cannot say enough positive things about them! Cab noise is quiet enough for me to hear the voices in my head...saying "slow down"! Power and torque is waaaay within it's band again! It doesn't even feel like the same truck. I also have 3.07 gears installed and man is it fast...I backed off @ 90mph just cause the tires are old. It is a 1078 A0(3116) with no fuel tuning yet and I'm not sure I'm even gonna mess with that now. If you are on the fence you should fall off and get a set. Less than half the price of 3.07 gears and 1/4 of the labor time. Haven't really done mileage yet due to my right foot has gotten "fat" now having the ability to move this brick faster down the road but I do know it has improved dramatically. Thank you Mike for doing the R&D and making a quality product. END OF SALES PLUG

Thank you for your feedback especially since you have 3:07 and a 3116. A lot of people keep asking about that combo
and are concerned they will not have the power to pull the 3:07 with Eco Hubs too. (y) :) Glad they worked out!

coachgeo

for poe folk...... here is something to consider

Last edited:

Ronmar

@Xengineguy .... your front and rear ECO are the same design correct?

for po folk:

aka- you have more time than money....
IMHO !!!! at your own risk

- Buy only a pair of ECO hubs. (if he is wiling to only sell a pair)
- pull your front drive shaft....
- put the ECO hubs in the rear only..
- drive in mode ONLY. Even with 5 gears of mode you will be fine with this set up*.
-- switch back to your OEM pair of hubs and reinstall drive shaft when your going off roading or hard pulling where AWD or 4wd will be needed. Give your Trans time to relearn again of course.

For more poor folk that are experienced grind a weld types ..... one can get same effect as above by Lincoln locking two spare hubs.... Swap them in like above.. If time and experimenting makes you trust your Lincoln weld job, do all four hubs.

* Fellow bought my truck from did this. but only Lincoln locked front hubs. Pulled rear drive axles (rear pinion had an issue is why did this) put it in Mode (aka... front wheel drive) and drove from south GA to mid. MO at 70mph in AO without issue in 5th gear. Kept it that way for a year as he drove it around home town in MO... That said...... he is a welder by trade. BIG TIME welder... like oil rigs, Alaskan oil tankers, and other high responsibility/high liability type welding. He did the weld with a borrowed welding machine at a small shop in GA though. Not sure if he used stick or wire feed. For him it was a choice of find a welding maching to use or drive 30mph for rest of trip from there to MO. He found a welder to borrow.

Later dissection of transmission for other reasons, showed this front wheel drive mode trip put no undue wear on the trans. clutches. Still though I would not recommend that. Rear drive is direct drive via gears out of trans.... would not put strain on clutches like front wheel drive only would.
Uuuh dont think I would do any of that…

First off the rear DS is not direct drive out of the transfer case. The trans output thru 3 large gears drives the planetary carrier of the center diff. The sun drives one pinion and the ring drives another pinion. The carrier spins the whole planetary gear-set, sun, planets and ring as one assembly(both driveshafts at the same speed) as long as there is not a path of lesser resistance out thru one pinion or another(front or rear wheel spin). The tooth relationship in the planetary directs,70% of the force toward the rear, 30% toward the front, so it is more likely that the rear wheels will spin. This is a pretty common center diff AWD setup. There is a clutch pack down there that brakes I believe sun to carrier, to create a 50/50 split and keeps the pinions locked together.

when you pull a shaft, depending on which one, that center diff clutch in mode needs to restrain/withstand either 30% or 70% of the transmission output, normally held in check by the gearset and the shaft that was removed. If I had to do this i would not choose front wheel drive as the center clutch would have to hold twice the force.

As for Lincoln locking the hubs, looking into a 2-1 hub delete years ago, I passed on it as an option as it had some problems. You get a ratio out of a planetary by spinning one, braking one and the 3rd one provides your output. In the case of the hub planetary, the axle passes thru the middle and spins the outer gear, the inner gear is fixed to the hollow splined spindle, and the planetaries, attached to the hub Via the spider, spin at 1/2 the speed of the outer gear/axle.
like using the palm of your hand to roll a pencil across a desk, the pencil travels 1/2 the distance that your hand does.

In order to weld that up, you must free the inner gear from the fixed spindle, remove all of its teeth or remove the gear entirely. Modding it would be a PITA and The problem with removing it entirely is that inner gear slides onto the splined spindle and has pins that engage and retain the wheel spindle nut so something would have to be created to fill that purpose, like was done with the ecohubs…

I am curious how he did it…

flatwerx

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for the update! 3.07's with the 3116 and the Ecos is what I was waiting to hear about.
@Ovrlnd1 did you go with these yet? I'm curious about elevation and off-road as well

Ovrlnd1

Thanks for the update! 3.07's with the 3116 and the Ecos is what I was waiting to hear about.
@Ovrlnd1 did you go with these yet? I'm curious about elevation and off-road as well
No I haven't. I am in the beginning of my build, so have a few other items to buy for now. I am planning to do them over this winter. Unfortunately I won't have anything to compare them to as I haven't had the chance to take it to elevation since I purchased the truck.

I'm going to take a chance on them and if they are not able do what I want to with the truck, I can probably sell a used set to someone.

I would still like to hear from anyone that has taken their truck truly off road and more importantly to me, at an elevation of 10k or higher. If anyone that has done the swap happens to be in/near Colorado, look me up.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the discussion here, seems these are better in every scenario that's been tried. Really makes me wonder why the gear reduction exists if direct drive results in better performance. Obviously there is half the torque in 1st gear but beyond that, seems the shifts would just be later to somewhat compensate. Am I missing anything?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks