• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric fan for Deuce

JasonS

Hopefully not too far off topic since I believe that objective is noise reduction... Has anyone tried the nylon engine driven fan?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope it works but I don't recall there being enough clearance in there. But maybe it can be offset some.

Hottrodd789

I hope it works but I don't recall there being enough clearance in there. But maybe it can be offset some.
That would be correct my plan is to off center the fan and modify the the shroud. Also after working with the technical line... I will be removing the thermostat as the eletric fan will control the water tempature. I will be installing a water temp probe and a controller that I can adjust the fan by tempature and actually allow the fan to run for an amount of time after the truck is off.... Sure wich I could Dyno the truck before in after.. But I project a noticeable diference

JasonS

That would be correct my plan is to off center the fan and modify the the shroud. Also after working with the technical line... I will be removing the thermostat as the eletric fan will control the water tempature. I will be installing a water temp probe and a controller that I can adjust the fan by tempature and actually allow the fan to run for an amount of time after the truck is off.... Sure wich I could Dyno the truck before in after.. But I project a noticeable diference
The thermostat in the multi is used to balance coolant flow between the radiator for cooling and recirculation back through the engine to prevent hot spots; I suggest keeping it. You really have nothing to gain by removing it.

ICAT

I wouldn't remove the thermostat. The thermostat controls engine temp and all engines run better at certain temps for maximum effecenty.

mudguppy

if you remove the thermostat, your engine will take FOREVER to warm up.

also, there is nothing to gain by letting the fan run with the engine off - you'll just cool the radiator water quicker, but won't cool the engine any differently. you would need an electric water pump to continue circulating water to do anything with the engine off. that's race/drag stuff to avoid heat soaking between runs down the track.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eliminating the fan won't make a noticable difference , the water pump is what pulls power not the fan blades . And removing the thermostat will have a negative impact.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not remove your thermostat and and fan blade and test drive it to feel the power difference? I think will notice that it will never get up to operating temperature.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bro go back to school do some home work if you think a water pump is what takes the power away and not big mechinacal fan spinning a 2500 rpm then you are mistaken! Thank for your pointless input..... I guess people just put eletric fans on cars because it's cool and not for freed up horse power.....
Well first off , if you don't want peoples opinions you shouldn't be posting on a internet forum . Second taking the fan off a 140 H.P. truck that weighs 14,000 pounds isn't going to make a difference .

Hottrodd789

Well first off , if you don't want peoples opinions you shouldn't be posting on a internet forum . Second taking the fan off a 140 H.P. truck that weighs 14,000 pounds isn't going to make a difference .
It's not the weight it's the air resistance of the fan spining 2500 rpm and nor did I ask for an opinion I stated a fact when I started the post

JasonS

As for removing the thermostat I am working with people the design cooling systems for off road vehicles and the eletric fan will be in charge of the water tempature set to come on at a certain degree and off a certain degree just like a thermostats opening and closing at a certain degree but if you put both together they will fight each other as I was told but I am doing this to figure out the best solution
Remind tech support that they're not dealing with a small block chevy cooling system.

o1951

Most newer civy vehicles have electric fans. On front wheel drive with cross mounted engine, that is most practical way to get radiator airflow. They use an aquastat to control fan, and still have the thermostat in the cooling system. Since the major auto manufacturers still see a need for a thermostat in the cooling system with temperature controlled electric fans, I would follow their lead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks