• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

unclemikey

A friend of mine got himself a M-109 with no winch, however he had a small 12 volt winch from an other vehicle. His M-35 has a PTO unit, so he put the 12 volt on the M-109. Figure that something on the front is better than none. Came out pretty good i thought.

Attachments

AmLogger

i just got done with my warn 24 volt 15000lbs winch i put it on its own carriage that fits into a 2inch receiver on the front and back of the truck, with 2 x1/2inch turnbuckles going to the frame of the deuce the turnbuckles are rated at 5000 a piece and the receiver is rated at 10000 so it wont go anywhere. the winch works well it will drag the truck along the ground great! it does drain the batteries when you pull a hard pull for over like 3 to five min but most of the time that will get you out of the hole! the nice thing about being able to move it front and rear is that most of the time i have found that i don't want to pull myself deeper into the hole so i want to go in revers, so i just move it to the back ( it takes two people my set up weighs like 175) i am thinking about putting a higher amp charging system to get a longer pull out of it! i will post some pictures soon! oh and i got my winch for 1100 on ebay brand new in the box with warranty!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AmLogger, Whats up with the turnbuckles...? Why would they be needed..? Is the receiver neck to long..?

dilligaf13

That's a nice looking system. I have a similar setup on my F350 and it works out nice except trying to lug it from the front to the rear of the vehicle in knee deep mud.

AmLogger

the turnbuckles stabilize the winch sideways and just make it so there isn't 15000 or more pounds on one 5/8 pin.
yeah it is a two person job for my setup! it weighs 150lbs

Still waiting for pictures of a perminately installed rear winch on a deuce. Any one done this yet? And still have the pintle hitch? I expected to have completed this by now, but have had some other things come up the last few months.

rolling18

i just got done with my warn 24 volt 15000lbs winch i put it on its own carriage that fits into a 2inch receiver on the front and back of the truck, with 2 x1/2inch turnbuckles going to the frame of the deuce the turnbuckles are rated at 5000 a piece and the receiver is rated at 10000 so it wont go anywhere. the winch works well it will drag the truck along the ground great! it does drain the batteries when you pull a hard pull for over like 3 to five min but most of the time that will get you out of the hole! the nice thing about being able to move it front and rear is that most of the time i have found that i don't want to pull myself deeper into the hole so i want to go in revers, so i just move it to the back ( it takes two people my set up weighs like 175) i am thinking about putting a higher amp charging system to get a longer pull out of it! i will post some pictures soon! oh and i got my winch for 1100 on ebay brand new in the box with warranty!
thats is a great idea, and what i want to do also!
I already bought my Warn 18K with remote, and everything for $800 (new in box)
now the fun part of getting it mounted!! Ahh Great THREAD!!:grd:
also, how did you mount your front reciever?
what model?
pics of that ?[thumbzup]

dmetalmiki

heres one I did

Just liked the look of a winch and bumper extensions (not fitted to M45s) so I am pleased with the result. looks good quite practical and will "hoik" the tuck out of trouble. ( + cars in ditches, frequent round here!) For My truck and trucks(using a block of course.(wich I allways do anyway (on all of them))

Attachments

jesusgatos

Still waiting for pictures of a perminately installed rear winch on a deuce. Any one done this yet? And still have the pintle hitch? I expected to have completed this by now, but have had some other things come up the last few months.
I just picked up two PTO winches, and will be converting both of them to hydro-power, then mounting one in the rear of mah deuce.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vtach,
Here is what I did to secure a Reese hitch on the front and rear to accept an electric winch. I had to die cut the front bumper to slide the Reese through, the hitch it's self is mounted on a 4"x4"x3/8" tube, cross mounted bolted and welded from both frame sides. The rear was a simple job. I only posted this in case you might get an idea to help out with your project. I am sure this would work out on any 2.5 Deuce or truck. Just takes some custom fabricating.

Personally I like what shovelheadmike did on his rig.

Attachments

engineer233

I have a 12,000 warn on mine. It is 12v so I added a 12v chevy alternator and a deep cycle battery on my truck . I only had to use it once so far . I used a snatchblock with it and was fine. If the truck had been buried it probably wouldnt have done it.

rattlecan6104

I had my deuce winched out of a mud pit by a 3500 ram with a 12k electric winch on a single line pull, seemed to work just fine, so it stands to reason that it should work just fine mounted on a deuce in place of the PTO winch.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rattlecan6104 , I agree with you. Some on this site would disagree since you are drawing off 1 battery and not 2. BUT, in an emergency 3-4 times a year I see no problem with the voltage irregularity between both battery's. 2cents

PalmerBS

Sounds like this is still a heated debate. I would prefer the Garwood as well, but sounds like an electric would get you out of a pinch just fine too.

Sounds like this is still a heated debate. I would prefer the Garwood as well, but sounds like an electric would get you out of a pinch just fine too.
First of all, I do believe a PTO driven winch is stronger and more dependable than an electric winch, all day long. But, I took my PTO winch off and replaced it with a 24V 16,800# electric winch for the following reasons. Ninety nine percent of the time, I use the front winch for pulling out a stuck city slicker, 10 feet or less. A PTO winch is a two man operation and I'm usually by myself. Since my M35 is a Bobber, it is very front heavy. The electric winch weighs a third of the PTO winch and it isn't hanging way out there on bumper extensions. My 20K PTO winch is in the rear for self recovery ( and rear weight ). I used to make fun of electric ( urban bling ) winches, but they are pretty handy for small stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

TadB

I Have two large hyd winches. One being 35,000 lbs and the other 20,000 lbs. Ive started peicing together all the parts to install it on my truck. But curiously, is there a source to get all the original m35a3 hydraulics components and if so what kind of cost are we talking?

USArmyMedic07

I have a Smittybuilt 12k pounder on my bobber with 53" XZLs. My truck weighs in around 12k pounds. The truck was stuck pretty good, and the winch wasn't enough to get it out. Never had a winch be too weak before, but then again I usually drive Jeeps. Regardless, the winch was 500 bucks new, and I mounted it to the stock bumper with a winch plate from Harbor Freight. I welded some gussets on it to make it a little more stout, and less likely to rip off. Smittybuilt just came out with as 15k winch that might work better. They are 12v winches, and I know everybody talks about current draw differences.....running one battery down faster.....etc, but it was cheap, it gets me out of trouble when I'm in a pickle, and thats what I needed. it doesn't stick out very far past the front of the bumper, eliminating the approach angle issue, and keeping me from hitting things. I hooked it up on a 24v setup and have run it this way for almost a year. I've only used the winch a few times, for short pulls, and to pull a tree down, but it works. I'm not an electrician, and don't have extensive knowledge of voltage ratings, etc, but this setup is working for me. I also have a 3k pound winch in the bed for pulling my sandrail up in the back. It is running on 24v as well, and is working just fine. I also have 12v LED tail lights, and those are working just fine on the 24v system too. I guess things are just more flexible than most would think.

Bottom line is, the 12k winch was cheap, fit where I needed it to, was light, gets the job done, and is still working, a year later. You make the choice of what to spend, but know that you have options.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks