• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

Brad900

Here is my 24 volt winch installed on my deuce. I know you guys like the factory look but I didn't want to spend the money on a factory one, plus then my front bumper lifting hooks would be upside down. It tucked up under the bumper & radiator almost perfect & I used all the factory bumper holes to bolt it up(don't want to drill any holes in her). Now time to deeper in the woods.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a very clean installation, how's about some more pics of how it mounted?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks great Brad. I would never have thought it would come out like that. Excellent job Sir!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be carefull about your approach angle. I hit the bank of a ditch hard enough to lift the front of the truck with the bumper, looks like your winch would be the first thing to hit.
Dennis

Last edited:

Brad900

ajg6989,
I got a ramsey 8.5e. The factory is rated at 10,000lbs & does just fine. Mine is rated at 8,500lbs but with a snatch block she should work just fine for what I need her to do.

Stretch44875,
It is 2 1/4" lower than the bumper, so I hope I never hit any bank with it but if I do it is sturdy enough to hold up(as long as I don't hit it fast). Everything is grade 8 & 1/4 steel

These are the best pics I can do at night. I will post some more when it is sunny.

Attachments

Trango

I'm a worry wort... and I wonder if your mounting system is going to be strong enough, since from what I see, the mounting bolts are all in a single plane. Have you gotten a good pull on it yet with most of the line out (more torque on the lower wraps of wirerope)??? I'm not trying to call you out, but just at first glance, that looks like alot of force pretty low on that mounting system.

I dunno... it may be something you want to try out on the back 40 before you take into the boondocks.

It's probably totally fine, but I always over engineer everything and I don't smell that overkill factor here. I mean, shucks, the shear on your bolts is probably fine, I'm just a little concerned with the leverage. Is it an optical illusion, or am I still smarting from New Years?

Otherwise, I love the placement and application.

Cheers
Bob

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric Humvee winches are either 6K,9K, and the new ones are 10.5K Hydraulics. With winch ratings, I'd go for overkill rather than under rated for the truck. Get stuck in mud, and that GREATLY increases the amount of weight you need to overcome to get out...

marksgarage2

Part of my garage buisness is towing and offroad recoverys. The reason I want a electric winch is the ease of use by one person. My rear application is intended for uses than other than pulling out my deuce. I have a pto winch on the front and would love to have one onthe rear also, but I agree If you only have one winch it should be able to pull the truck out of most anything.

Brad900

Trango ,
For what I need it to do it should hold up. I just got it mounted yesterday, so I haven't had a good pull on it yet. I was going to pull it up a incline to make sure everything is fine before I go & get stuck. The good thing is that if I have to modify it, she comes right off in about 5 mins.

Brad

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would imagine these guys are using electric as an assistance device. If you were to use the winch in the last post at full power, you would also burn up alot of the charging system. 240amps, wow.

gimpyrobb

Why would you say a hydraulic is better than a pto gear? Agian this is just my opinion, but the chance of busting a hose either from pressure or getting it snagged, seems to me as a liability. Just looking for others insight that I hadn't thought about, not being argumentative.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
I would imagine these guys are using electric as an assistance device. If you were to use the winch in the last post at full power, you would also burn up alot of the charging system. 240amps, wow.
The charging system would not be damaged, but you would be limited to the capacity of the batterie(s). Remember, the starter motor draws 200-400 amps routinely.

gimpyrobb

I understand that draw of the starter is large too, just that it doesn't run as long as a winch would. With the charging system rated at less current, something will go out sooner or later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks