• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical problem: no crank

T2C

Hi everybody. Thanks for taking the time to help. I have an M929 with Cummins NCH-259 engine. I have had no start, and no crank for some time. I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it, after I killed a set of batteries while switched off. I now have 24 volts, and 10 amps going to the starter constantly with the switch turned off. When I try to start, I only get a quiet click from the electrical box behind the washer fluid reservoir. No action, or sound from the starter. Is there a relay in that box that is the problem? Do I need to replace the entire box?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi everybody. Thanks for taking the time to help. I have an M929 with Cummins NCH-259 engine. I have had no start, and no crank for some time. I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it, after I killed a set of batteries while switched off. I now have 24 volts, and 10 amps going to the starter constantly with the switch turned off. When I try to start, I only get a quiet click from the electrical box behind the washer fluid reservoir. No action, or sound from the starter. Is there a relay in that box that is the problem? Do I need to replace the entire box?
You might try opening the start box on the firewall. It may be corroded and has taken a turn for the worse. There is a rebuild thread on how to replace the contents of the start box...

T2C

Thank you Chucky. I'll see if I can find that thread. I'll crack that box open and see what's going on in there too. It might be into next week before I get to it

T2C

Took me a bit to get the right solinoids. I tried just replacing the starter solinoid, but that didn't work. Finally got the abs solinoids replaced today. Starter cranked! So happy to hear that sound again. After a couple of long cranks with no start, I went to the zero start. Got it to fire, but the rpms went crazy, nothing I did could bring them down. When I shut down, the temp gauge blasted out at me with a spark. Has anyone else ever experienced this? What did I do wrong?