• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Embedded YouTube Videos

m715mike

I noticed last weekend that embedded YouTube videos were not appearing on my screen. As shown in the picture below, all I see is a blank area where the video should be. This happens when viewing the site on my iPhone using the Safari app. I am viewing the desktop version (or "full site") as opposed to a version that has been optimized for a mobile device.

After noticing the issue on my phone, I checked my desktop computer. The embedded videos display correctly on my computer.

Here is a screenshot from my phone showing the blank area where an embedded video should be:

IMG_3298.jpg

Here is a picture of my computer screen showing the same post with the embedded video displaying correctly.

IMG_3299.jpg

I would appreciate any thoughts and insight. How can I correct this issue on my phone?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! I have been having this same issue. I don't think there have been any recent security or software updates from Apple. I thought at one point there was a user setting on SS related to embedded content, but I have not been able to find it. Maybe something else has changed on the SS server or software.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same problem here. Not sure how that link helps see the video. That person was posting a video.

We simply can't see any video posted using the iPad or iPhone. Never been a problem before well until a few days ago.

Last edited:

m715mike

Hi

I had the same problem a while back and here is the thread and the answer that seemed to work, https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-always-work&p=1990099&highlight=#post1990099

Cheers Phil

Phil,

Thank you for the response. If I understand your issue correctly, you had trouble posting embedded YouTube videos. Sometimes you got the image and other times you only got text for the link. This was resolved by changing a setting in the "go advanced" posting section.

My problem is different. I am simply viewing content on SteelSoldiers that was previously posted (by me and others). In my example above, I posted an embedded video in March 2017 from the Texas Rally. I had no issues initially creating the post with an embedded video. Back in March, I could watch the video from my iPhone and on my desktop computer. Now, the embedded videos (in all posts not just mine) do not appear when viewing the SteelSoldiers website with my iPhone. However, the embedded videos continue to appear correctly on my desktop computer.

-Michael

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The sites delivery is always going to be focused towards a PC/Computer. There will be times where things will work on the computer and not a mobile device. I'm guessing that this is related to the move we've made from http to https and IOS is blocking the content. I changed the mobile device embedding code, then found my ipad (youngest had it), I'm able to view the videos fine in this thread.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?163887-2017-TX-MV-Rally

m715mike

Thank you, Sir! I checked the 2017 TX Rally thread and another. Both are working again! I appreciate the quick response, even on the weekend!

The sites delivery is always going to be focused towards a PC/Computer. There will be times where things will work on the computer and not a mobile device.
Understood! And to be honest, I prefer to use my desktop PC (especially for typing). However, it is not always possible/practical.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks