• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Accessory Belt Driven Clutched Hydraulic Pump

74M35A2

Just wanted to post some info for anybody wanting to add hydraulics to a truck that does not have such. This pump can be had with 8 rib serpentine or double V belt clutch. Muncie brand, all cast iron. Rated at 11 GPM @ 1000rpm, near equivalent to a 925 I believe. Easy 2 bolt mount, ports are rear or side. Would easily fit the 8.3L compressor bracket I make/sell (just sayin’). Not cheap, about $550 new, but gives a lot more flexibility in PTO activation, as you can literally flip it on while driving down the highway (that can be good and bad). The Muncie website is terrible at part number cataloging, so great if this helps any of you.

3EED0C6F-00BF-4EDC-9C6F-6445786C6FB9.jpgBD06DFA3-DF22-46B0-B855-A8D17A1C6F93.jpg 6EC60584-1735-41A7-AB0A-241315EECFFE.jpg

https://www.munciepower.com/cms/files/Products/Literature/Documents/Brochure/MP88-06.pdf

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool beans! Now if I ever get my dual alternators mounted, I can work on a third hydraulic pump!
Whats the diameter on that pulley, is the clutch already 24v, and any chance you have any other flow/pressure vs RPM info?

74M35A2

I’ll measure the pulley diameter tomorrow once back at work. I bought this to increase cranking load on an engine for starter testing. I don’t think there was a 24v clutch coil option from Munice on the clutch, but whoever makes the clutch likely offers one. Clutch is a fixed load, so could just use a power resistor and feed it 24v. On flow, it is a fixed displacement pump, so flow should be linear? 11GPM @ 1000rpm, 22GPM @ 2000rpm, 33GPM @ 3000rpm, 44GPM @ 4000rpm .... There is your graph, as a rough generalization. Efficiency losses will be greater at higher rpm’s and below 1000rpm, but this should be close for rough calculations. Pressure is mostly determined by the external loads, pump just states max rated for continuous development.

Last edited:

74M35A2

In the basement. I don’t have access to a 250 engine, so I can’t do it. Pump mounts with only 2 bolts on its own pedestal, so should not be terribly difficult?

74M35A2

I think the mil one of 25GPM or so is at 1800 engine rpm, not 1000rpm so I think this is near same in flow? The mil 925 hydro winch is pressure relieved at 1800psi.

74M35A2

Yes, clockwise when facing it, same as engine.

Was just explained to me today that an Allison PTO spins opposite of an Eaton/Fuller RoadRanger PTO. Makes sense due to the countershafts in the RR. Just FYI.

That muncie pump can push about 22GPM at 2200 engine RPM.

74M35A2

The engine belt driven one should be straight forward on rotation direction. I have no idea which way any PTO runs, just heard they were opposite between manual and auto trans, if the manual trans has a countershaft driven PTO gear (?).

profo

The pump should be turning faster than the engine cause the pulley on engine is larger just divide engine pulley size by pump pulley size and that's the ratio then multiply that number times engine rpm and that is the rpm of pump!
Bet at 1000 rpm you see about 2000 rpm at pump!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you install this and the ac compressor as well? Or is it an either/or situation. You can be cool with no hydraulics or have hydraulics and not be cool.

I guess i could just make a hydraulic AC compressor and mount it wherever I want and I can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pump should be turning faster than the engine cause the pulley on engine is larger just divide engine pulley size by pump pulley size and that's the ratio then multiply that number times engine rpm and that is the rpm of pump!
Bet at 1000 rpm you see about 2000 rpm at pump!
Yep, that’s why I asked the size. It was hurting my little brain trying to scale it off the pipe plugs.
Maybe he’ll come out of his basement soon? So many questions, so few answers...

...I guess i could just make a hydraulic AC compressor and mount it wherever I want and I can have the best of both worlds.
You could mount it in the cab, it would make an awesome heater

74M35A2

You two are cool without A/C.

Just measured. The 8.3L crank pulley is about 7" diameter, and the pump clutch pulley is 5.5". So at 2200rpm engine speed, this pump would deliver about 25GPM. I think this is on par with the 25GPM @ 1800rpm engine speed with a stock 925 setup, which is the max rating for that configuration. I was being conservative using 1:1 to keep the armchair quarterbacks at bay.

One could mount an A/C compressor and this belt driven hydraulic pump both. On an 8.3L, you would simply use both my and the Red Dot / Kenway A/C compressor brackets, using one for each, either/or. The 8.3L Red Dot / Kenway kit uses double V belt pulley, mine uses serpentine pulley, so configure each accordingly. Red Dot / Kenway kit places their bracket on the driver side of the 8.3L, mine is pass side.

Here she is with her V belt dress on. Good for 250 engine, along with LDT/S, GM 6.2/6.5, etc.... Good for the whole family.

mcp.jpg

Internet pricing on it is steep, upwards of $700 or so. Here was my source for it for $550, tell the parts counter Clint sent you, and you can get it for the same $550:

http://www.jointclutchandgear.com/ (Romulus branch)

When we did diesel powertrains for Jeep exports, we added a belt driven viscous coolant heater to quicken the coolant warm up for cabin heat. Not to far off of what you just suggested he do.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m liking this pump. I need hydraulics so I can start adding hydraulic things to my truck. Knuckle booms, winches, dump beds, snow plow (for those once a year 4” snow storms).

74M35A2

Yep. My favorite feature is the control-ability of it. Works in drive, works in neutral, works driving down the freeway, etc...

I can get that price for anybody that wants one if they are unable to.

74M35A2

Specification document link added to first post of this thread. It contains all the pertenant info. Pump rated to flow 30.5GPM at pump speed of 3000rpm. I don’t think this is achievable with a 2200rpm engine limit, I would have to do the math, but she’ll do every bit of the 25GPM any 925 is rated at.

Did the math. This pump would spin 2800rpm at 2200rpm engine max, which is 28GPM @ 2500psi.

Their standard clutch is good for 32hp, their HD clutch option good for 45hp.

Last edited:

infidel got me

a/c

Papa Pump!!!! Don't let him fool you folks--- that pump will be used to pump blood to his arm. That dukes of hazard 88 forward gear transmission takes a lot out of you.:p

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks