• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine discussion again

M1008driver

No, there is not anything wrong with my engine. I have been reading all I can about the 6.2, 6.5 Optimizer and P400, 6bt, and 4bt.

Some day when I need to buy an engine I was thinking the 4bt is the best bang for the buck. I don't plan on towing much over 6,500 lbs ever and it fits with the least mods unless I stick with Detroit.

I even found a new one at a good price and I am thinking about storing the engine in my garage until I need it so the price won't go up. I may do a rescue on a truck or M1009 with a blown engine though I guess that is not a true rescue if I buy a 4bt.

Is this a bad idea? I have my flame suit on so blast away... :)

EDIT- My brother just shakes his head as I say let's rebuild my alternators, it can't be that hard and I have all the parts. He knows I am moving toward getting an engine, I just haven't decided what engine yet.

Last edited:

epartsman

Do what you feel. It's your truck. Im staying 6.2, already stud girdled, going with fluid damper, a/c and Banks turbo eventually. I like the simplicity of the Detroit.

dependable

If it were me, I would not fix anything that was not broken. A lot of these 6.2s have low mileage and some were well maintained. Current engine may have a lot of trouble free miles left in it. I know my advice is boring, but I have too many machines to maintain to have much fun. If I was going to go full out one one of these, I'd put in the 5.9 Cummins.

Last edited:

danoscooter

Go for it! If you have done the research then do what you are comfortable with. I recently picked up a rebuilt 6.5 as a spare. The 6BT is on my dream list but having no experience swapping an engine so I decided I would keep it simple for the first one. Good luck with which ever way to go!

Daniel

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
6BT's will fit our engine bays. They're more plentiful. And they're less expensive. They make more power as well. The downside, they weigh a little more and take up more space.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6BT's will fit our engine bays. They're more plentiful. And they're less expensive. They make more power as well. The downside, they weigh a little more and take up more space.
And the 4bt is noisier

M1008driver

I was looking at those links before. I saw a 4bt Dodge at the hospital and it was loud, but not so loud compared to the 6.2.

I am just bouncing ideas to get the best information as I don't want to make a purchase and not be happy. They say the 4bt's cost more, but I have found a new one a couple of thousand $ cheaper than the 6bt.

The best I can tell is the 4bt swap is easier and comparable to the 6.2, but can take much more abuse or be pushed harder without major concerns.

Reverend Evil

I do my best to maintain my 6.2 so lord help me if it goes cause my wife will kill me . I would spen the big money and go with the 6bt and the nv4500 and then the bolt on horse power would go throught the roof. I love my 6.2 but when she goes I will go for broke.

P.S. hope she stays for a few more years cause I cant afford it now.

Reverend Evil

Correct me if I am wrong but it has as few electronics as our 6.2 . and can be well upgraded to make up for the few extra pounds . but it is just my opinion and not my truck. I would really do it because of parts availibility and power . but not until my 6.2 dies and she is still young.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks