• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine failure, rebuild, with turbo, jakes.

Iceman3005

So, is the NTC-400 a bolt in replacement for the NTC-250 ?

While gathering info, I found a place called NPDDiesel.com and they sell re-manufactured power. Cummins and CAT. The NHC-250 was surprisingly reasonable compared to a "good takeout". Of course there is a range and I haven't taken the time to dig very deep.

Does anybody here have experience with these folks?
The big cam isn't excatly a drop in, but close enough for me. Especially since I want the power and reliability of the big cam. So the hassle of making it work far out weigh just rebuilding the nhc250.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The big cam isn't excatly a drop in, but close enough for me. Especially since I want the power and reliability of the big cam. So the hassle of making it work far out weigh just rebuilding the nhc250.

Upgrades are always a plus! Especially if it "almost fits" .
That gives incentive to work a little harder to make it better!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can reuse the nhc250 bellhousing you have to drill one of the bolts in the rear..

Front mount is not the same at all. It's easier to cut the front mount where the nhc250 mounts and weld in some steel plate for the front mount to rest on and bolt it down.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the BC2 long block be used with the 250's oil cooler & other external accessories swapped over to minimize the amount of modifications needed?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, 2 different lube systems, one is FFC, full flow cooling, the other DFC, demand flow cooling. One has a stat that controls oil flow through the cooler to only flow when upwards of 230 degrees, DFC. Hard to see if the BC has that system from the pictures. Even though the BC is probably older than the SC, the better of the 2 systems is on the BC even if it is still FFC. I don't remember if the lube pump on the BC will accept the later style of pick up tube so it allows you the install a 9 gallon capacity stamped steel oil pan that is front sump for front axle clearance. If you do reuse the pan that is on the BC or or replace it with the SC pan, don't install the 6 buttress bolts, the ones that go from the pan thru to the flywheel hsg. They tend to make pans and flywheel housings crack, especially in vehicles that do frequent twisting events/off roading.

Iceman3005

Haven't been working on this project much. Other things keep taking up my time. Got all the push tubes and exhaust cross tabs for the jake brakes. Now working on finding a good set of rocker boxes with matching jake brakes. One of my rocker boxes needs a rebuild and the set of jake brakes I got have broken tab ears.

Got the gantry crane finished. Works really well!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of push tubes. Again, IIRC, the small cam and big cam are different lengths. Don't mix them. Again, IIRC, SC are longer. Funny how you know things and when what you know isn't used, it goes away.....

Iceman3005

Sorry you'll....been a crazy few years. This project has been on hold. Bought complete heads, jakes model 30E, push tubes for a big cam II 400. Going to at very minumum replace every gasket. Depending on what pistons look like when I get the heads off, may turn into an inframe. I promise this is going to get done by this summer. I want my 5 ton back on the road!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really should install dowel pins after doing this.
You don't need to, they are installed so that if the FW hsg is removed, you don't need to dial it in again, but that is a common thing to do anyway, but it is a good idea to install them and peen the holes....think of the Dodge killer dowel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks