• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Oil used in TH400 instead of Dexron

Coal Cracker

I stand by my earlier post. I ran two Nodwell tracked carriers(similar to a morooka), on powerline right-of-way maintenance.
Drive system was 6 cylinder chevy, th400 auto. 15w 40 motor oil in the trans.
12 years of service out of one, only half as much from the second, due to a roll over. Salvaged the parts from the roll over, put the trans into a pick up, no problems. Sold remaining Nodwell to a guy down south, it may still be running.

Just because 15w40 was used , doesnt make it right ! As a Trans builder who is very familiar with the 400 ,there isnt enough pressure in the clutches to overcome the friction modifiers of lube oil, thats why lube oil is specified for the engine and trans oil is for the trans, otherwise manufacturers would have an all in one oil.

Kalashnikov

i know you are talking about the turbo 400, i had returned from Kuwait last year, spent about 7 months there working on MRAP's, and other equipment. and we were directed by the Military to flush all transmissions that has dextron and replace it with 15/40, I have been a military mechanic / Motor Sergeant for over 24 years and could not believe this. but we did as directed. when i left, it was on the table to have all transfer cases and all diffs drained, flushed and filled with 15/40. now the one reason for doing all this? the Soldiers only have to carry 15/40 instead of 15/40, Dextron and 80/90. just putting my 2 cents in on this. and yes, the transmissions in those heavy a@@ trucks operated just fine.
I like this idea a lot. I'td be a lot better to just have to buy 15/40 instead of all the different types of oil hangning around the shop. Was there any older stuff IE manual transmission that you used 15/40 in?

Were the power steering pumps filled with 15/40 as well?

Then again, the military overhauls things even if they don't need it so longevity isn't really a concern to them.

dmetalmiki

I had a pontiac once that blew a front seal..and was way over heating (london traffic) local garage wanted 100s of quids to recover and fix it, I squirted cold water on the transmission and filled it with gear oil!..drove home fine no leaks and no overheating..ran that old pontiac for years after that just fine fine..sold it and its probably still trucking on. (those old pontiacs had the "slush boxes" in them ) ..not noted for outstanding getup and go !. just my 1/2 pene'th

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power steering pump has ATF in it (or hydraulic oil, it's red).

Got the truck running today. Didn't drive it because with the engine running the transmission fluid level is low. It does move in forward and reverse so I'll add some Dexron tomorrow and take a ride.

plym49

I love threads like this. 40% of the responses say no way, Jose. 40% of the responses say BTDT, no biggie. 20% watch the controversy. Inevitably the OP ends up doing something completely logical and all ends well.

Csm Davis

Okay got to put another one in the mix haven't seen 15-40wt used but I know all 939 series have oe 10wt in them in the transmission, asked my transmission repairman, second generation transmission guy, and actually thinks it a good idea. Lots of problems with civilian trucks with that Trans and Allison spec fluid lots of burned up parts.

fusioncow

For those interested, take a look at tm9-2320-356-BD (battlefield damage assessment and repair, good one to have if you're using your CUCV as a BOV), page 268, table D-3.

It lists any 10W to 30W as an acceptable Emergency substitute. Personally, I don't know that I would trust it for prolonged use, since it's only an emergency sub.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dumped a gallon of Dexron in to bring it up to the add a pint mark. It leaks at the selector shaft so I need to replace the seal. It drives and shifts normally after replacing the transmission vacuum hoses.

dependable

For those interested, take a look at tm9-2320-356-BD (battlefield damage assessment and repair, good one to have if you're using your CUCV as a BOV), page 268, table D-3.

It lists any 10W to 30W as an acceptable Emergency substitute. Personally, I don't know that I would trust it for prolonged use, since it's only an emergency sub.
Thanks, I guess this means it might be ok to use motor oil to top off T 400 to get home. I was stuck once with a truck that had lost some ATF from a broken coolant line. Had plenty of 15- 40. If I had known I could have used it, it would have saved a lot of time. Wonder if it should be flushed and changed after that or fix the leak, and move on. On a related subject, if you buy a 27 year old truck, a fluid & filter change is a good idea.

BIG_RED

"Any oil is better than no oil" A wise old man once told me. I would throw 15-40 in my t400 or even an axle, t-case, etc .to get home in a pinch. I would not run it on a regular basis. I could get into the differences in additives, but I think it was put nicely by another member as "if there was no difference using 15-40 in a t400, it wouldn't be spec'd for dexron". Well put.

Coal Cracker

"Any oil is better than no oil" A wise old man once told me. I would throw 15-40 in my t400 or even an axle, t-case, etc .to get home in a pinch. I would not run it on a regular basis. I could get into the differences in additives, but I think it was put nicely by another member as "if there was no difference using 15-40 in a t400, it wouldn't be spec'd for dexron". Well put.
I couldn't agree more.

edpdx

My transmission used to slip in most gears. I put a new filter in it and it was no better. Then I drained it and used F-type transmission fluid- my wife's Cougar uses it. I have not had any more slippage. From a dead stop on a hill, I can put in in drive/rev and it goes. Try it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks