• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Synthetic blends, such as the Rotella offering are the deal. Wear characteristics are excellent, and the price point is good.

You may never run an engine long enough to see it's end of life, but from my personal experience in Mercedes Turbodiesels it has really made a difference in wear, especially with the timing chain.

The standard was check the chain for rotational stretch every 100K, at which time it usually went to 6 degrees and was time for a new chain. So far (after a full rebuild) one of mine has accrued 348K with NO stretch.

So if your fav motor has a wear point that you can measure easily, give it a try.

DG

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it ok to change to 15-40 pure synthetic oil in my 8.3 Cummins ?
You're almost certainly going to time out the oil before you wear out the oil. Thus the extended drain interval on the synthetic doesn't really help you.

My opinion, with a history of being nearly OCD on oil selection, is that the best choice for diesel MVs is any decent oil (I use Rotella 15w40) changed frequently.

KN6KXR

The best oil is lots of good oil changed on time with new filters every time.....

If you are concerned I suggest getting Blackstone Labs to send you some free UOA (used oil analysis) kits. When you change the oil you take a sample and drop the prepaid envelope in the mail. Costs $30 for the basic analysis. If you still feel the need to get spendy on your oil then go ahead and run the fancy stuff then do a UOA again and compare. If wear particles remain the same it's a waste of money. I just did this had Rotella in there with about 4k miles will post results when I get them.

I'm running "Kirkland Signature" (aka Costco) 15-40 they had a great deal better than I could get locally in bulk (16 gallon drum). It's probably re-branded Rotella or similar. I'm picky about my filters Wix/Napa only. YMMV.....

Micmada

You're almost certainly going to time out the oil before you wear out the oil. Thus the extended drain interval on the synthetic doesn't really help you.

My opinion, with a history of being nearly OCD on oil selection, is that the best choice for diesel MVs is any decent oil (I use Rotella 15w40) changed frequently.
I stay away from Rotella due to the low emission ZDDP content that at one point was destroying the cams on Ford 6.7s. Im not sure since then Rotella changed the formula but I do remember that Chevron had to discontinue one of their diesel oils that I bought $20 for 5 gal once at walmart because their zddp was way too low. I simply added $5 worth of Zddp in each and was good to go

I stick with Delo for this reason. Also synthetic going into your pistons for whatever reason will hydrolock while regular oil will burn some. So for safety reasons I am iffy on synthetics.

If you want high peformance and good zddp go with Amsoil or even better Schaeffer race oil. Ford branded Motorcraft red bottle diesel oil is good too and came out after there were issues with low zddp oils destroying 6.7s

Last edited:

Micmada

And IMHO if its a CAT motor put CAT filters on it dont be cheap on this part !
I thought that Napa/Wix filters were the best after seeing a test but when Adeptape on youtube opened them and showed the crappy worksmanship of their regular white cannisters I was horrified.

I wish I could find Mann filters for my M923 if anyone knows which model it is. I tried looking but no bueno so far. Are cat filter proprietary and not fitting cummins?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that Napa/Wix filters were the best after seeing a test but when Adeptape on youtube opened them and showed the crappy worksmanship of their regular white cannisters I was horrified.

I wish I could find Mann filters for my M923 if anyone knows which model it is. I tried looking but no bueno so far. Are cat filter proprietary and not fitting cummins?
You will have to cross your cummins filter number over to see if Cat makes anything to fit it or cal a big truck parts counter and see if they can cross it ! AFSI makes 80% of all Cat filters see if they make filters for your cummins .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks