• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine problem

Scrambler

Hi again.

My Duece M36A2 has a new problem. When at cruising speed (any speed cruising) there is this sound what comes out of the exhaustpipe like there is a Huey helicopter flying just above the truck. The idea of barking. Every bark there comes a puff of blueish-black smoke out of the pipe. According to the smell I think that it is unburned diesel. Why is it doing this and how to fix it?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly a miss. A failed injector or low fuel pressure? Is the intank pump working and do you have good pressure?

Scrambler

o yeah, the intankpump works fine. the pressure of the intankpump gives enough, I think. When I open up the valve on top of the filters there will be a fountain of at least a foot high.
I also checked the timing and that is right on the spot

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a difference between blow-by and smoke out the breather. The only true way to tell is to use a manometer on the engine. Are you using a mixed fuel, like gas/diesel mix? If so, put a bit more diesel in the mix. Just FYI, when I drive mine at light throttle, cruising speed, it kind of popps out the exhaust. If I put my foot back into it, even lightly, it goes away. It is most likely an injector, but, other than that, it runs fine. I'm not gonna worry about it, it has done it since I got the truck.

Scrambler

Yes, that is exactly how it goes and indeed, there is a mix in it, gas and diesel, and now I have a new mix of GP4/kerosine and used engine oil, sifted through large coffee-filters. Diesel cost about 9 dollars a gallon at the moment (thanks to your dropping dollar) so I am NOT gonna buy dieselfuel.

n1bnc

Diesel cost about 9 dollars a gallon at the moment (thanks to your dropping dollar) so I am NOT gonna buy dieselfuel.

:shock:

Here I was complaining about $3.34/gal for gasoline this morning in CT.

Angus1

What i mean by "Blow By" is excessive pressure out of the slobber tube on the passenger side of the engine. I was thinking you may have melted down a piston.

Scrambler

O, that thing. No, that seams normal, just a little breathing.

The truck doesn't feel like there is a problem, it has its power, runs good, just that noise..

martinsaunders06

my a2c made exactly that type of noise any where from 1400rpm upwards on steady cruising.replaced the injector pump with s/h unit and cured it. on stripping down original the pump shop they thought the automatic timing advance mechanism in front of pump was sticking- it advances on a helical type gear

Scrambler

I hope not.
This is the 4th pump this year. First pump was ruined because some idiot put degreaser in my fueltank while my truck was sitting at a inspection-garage. Stood there for a week. The water based degreaser ate the pump. So I bought another one. Put it in, didn't work, had to travel another 300 miles to swap it. Then the third pump did work out fine for a while but when the engine got good on temperature is was impossible to restart it. Now I got the 4th pump and it worked fine for one day, then the next day we had a trip where is was only running at hgh idle, like 1600 rpm. but at the end of the day the idle went back to normal. I asked the pump-shop and they said it was caused by a dirt in the retour line (reflow?)
Now it runs fine, is just not starting "on the button" anymore plus that huey flying above is kind of bothering. A new pump here cost more than a whole truck and since I am out of money I have to stick with used parts. But I am getting sick of the whole truck; I might sell it and never want another one anymore.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could yo have a blown exhaust manifold gasket, a sticking/burnt exhaust valve, or like was suggested, a bad injector? It could be worth it to set the RPM up a bit to where it makes the noise well, and crack open each injector line one at a time and see which one (if any) changes the tone of the chopper noise. If it is an injector, that could be a cheap fix. Hate to see you get rid of the truck. The picture shows alot of smoke, is that your truck doing that??

martinsaunders06

i didnt get any starting probs just the missing type noise, just like a petrol engine held on the rev limiter. i could ease off as it got better and could also floor it and it would stop but if i wanted to cruise at a set rpm then it would happen.i beleive the advance hub to be quite simple= its operates on a sliding helical splined cut hub. perhaps take the front part of pump apart and make sure the 2 parts slide up/down each other easy with no sticky bits, also make oil pressure fron crank is getting into pump to lube it?.(the advance bit is under the timing window with the scibe mark on rotor and timing pointer)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd pull the injectors and get them cleaned/tested.. Thats the "low cost rule out a piece of the puzzle" solution..... Atleast them you'll know it's NOT them.. or get lucky and they just need a cleaning..

Scrambler

OPCOM said:
The picture shows alot of smoke, is that your truck doing that??
The blueish is smoke yeah. below is mud....

I'll go check them injectors.
Exhaustmanifoldgasket broken makes that noise out of the exh pipe? Doubt that. If itain't raining tomorrow I will check the injectors otherwise I will have to do that next week because tuesday I need to bring it to a garage for its annual inspection/MOT/whatever you call that.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8333/369un.jpg

FreightTrain

Banned
barking out the exhaust usually means bad valves atleast on the other diesels I am into.The valve isn't closing and just blowing the fuel out the hole instead of compressing it and firing.