• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine problem

Scrambler

Well, yesterday I picked the truck up from the inspection/MOT and drove it home. It again keeps running on high idle like 1500 rpm. Sometimes it hesistates, coughs a few times and spurrs away again.
I think I'll start with the injectors...

Blood_of_Tyrants

The bluish smoke is most likely burnt oil. Now how that oil is getting into the cylinder is a matter of speculation. A burnt exhaust valve might give a popping sound (especially when decelerating), but it wouldn't cause oil to get into the cylinder. I would look for a bent push rod or a broken rocker arm. Perhaps a sticking lifter.

jatonka

Valve adjustment is .015 cold on Intake and .025 cold on Exhaust. This is in inches, you will have to convert to Metric. I would adjust the valves first, then get the injectors checked, I suspect your injector pump governor is not working right. You may want to take the first three pumps to a rebuild shop and ask them to make one good one out of them. It took 4 pumps to make one for me. But I now have one spare that is perfect and 5% over on power. JT

beaubeau

I took my Deuce for a ride today and thought about your problem. I was wondering if the Low speed Govenor is not working properly. It could affect the engine performance when engine is not Under a Load. When at idle and U let the clutch out when in gear do not touch the accelorator. Can U hear the engine Race up a little bit? A good running Diesel will Accelorate itself under a load at idle. Many years of driving trucks, I never accelorate while letting the clutch out. It saves on the clutch and all running gear. This was just a thought I had today. Good luck, Phil

Scrambler

beaubeau said:
.....of driving trucks, I never accelorate while letting the clutch out. It saves on the clutch and all running gear.....
I do that too. Works fine.
I first go check the valveclearance and after that I will go for a ride and see how it does.
The rpm is nice and low now; the idlingscrew was loose... :oops: At the inspectionstation they said they adjusted the engine a little but they seemed to forget to tighten the nut.... :roll:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
At idle are there any exhaust gases visible leaving the engine (other than through the exhaust pipe). I ask because your symptoms are similar to those I experienced once with a bent pushrod....and another symptom was the pressurizing of the crankcase.

(Intake was opening, and 22:1 compression was blowing by the rings into the crankcase, and out every tiny opening.)

HTH,
David Doyle

Scrambler

No, at idling only smoke comes out of the exhaustpipe. Tough to see it because it is not black or blue or so, like you just see the background/air moving. I checked all over the enginecompatriment and everything looks fine. When I remove the oilfillercap no blowing from there, the breating?pipe that points down (I don't know the name for it) smokes a little but the side of the engine there is not greasy or so.
I had it at 600 rpm and loosened the injectorlines each al little and as soon as feul came out of the loosened nipple the engine reacted like it should; clearly a difference, all six like each other. Tomorrow the valve-checking/adjusting is on scedule and the left front wheelbearing needs repacking with grease. Sat eve there is a old car show closeby and I want to participate with the truck so I can testdrive it.
The overall sound of the engine at idle is like normal, smooth, no strange noises or tapping or clicking...
Some guy told me that my injectorpump looks like a pump from a 5 tons like a M54 or so but I can't tell the difference...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks