• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine repair or swap to LDS?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These circular pits in the pistons. Are these normal or a result of excess EGT?
When I scrape the carbon off underneath it there is a whiteish deposit that looks like oxidation and scrapes off in a white powder.

View attachment 877173View attachment 877174
Used to be that hitting those piston tops (NOT in the ring lands!) with a bead blaster was a good thing... Cleanliness is next to godliness in motor repairs.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of piston confusion.
My pistons have 4 ring grooves PN 11668483 from inside the piston. I read a SS post from 2015 that discusses and apparently some LDS pistons are 4 ring and some are 3 ring. I can't find this PN anywhere. Are these LDS pistons?
If I can't find the 4 ring, must I replace all or can they be mixed? $$$
Only looking at NOS, not good take outs.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do the liners look like? I wouldn’t replace the pistons due to minor pitting, but I’m cheap and somebody will probably be along to tell me I‘m wrong as well…

Gypsyman

I agree with Jbulach. Unless you want an "as new" engine build I wouldn't hesitate to run those after a good cleaning. If the pits were deeper and the edges could cause possible hot spots then maybe but I'm not seeing that.

That pitting is so minor that I don't see any reason to replace them.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These were already rejected due to cracking over the limit.
Also, my concern is what effect would a high enough temp do to the hardness if it got hot enough to begin melting.

rustystud

These were already rejected due to cracking over the limit.
Also, my concern is what effect would a high enough temp do to the hardness if it got hot enough to begin melting.
If the pistons had not already been rejected I would have reused them. The pitting didn't go near the edges that I could see, and the lands I assume were Ok. As far as loosing it's hardness, Aluminum is a funny metal. It's not like steel which if overheated can lose its hardness. It's more a matter of the material makeup of the aluminum. How much tin, how much pure aluminum, how much other metal alloys that make up the hardness of the metal. True there is something to be said for the "Alignment" of the molecules, that is why "Freezing" the aluminum can help with hardness after it is formed. It's just over heating is not that vital to the integrity of the metal as in steel. I had a small foundry for several years and cast mostly aluminum. Fun metal to play with.
About the piston though. If this happened in my last shop, the pistons would be sandblasted and checked for further faults. If none were found, they would be reused.

rustystud

Lots of piston confusion.
My pistons have 4 ring grooves PN 11668483 from inside the piston. I read a SS post from 2015 that discusses and apparently some LDS pistons are 4 ring and some are 3 ring. I can't find this PN anywhere. Are these LDS pistons?
If I can't find the 4 ring, must I replace all or can they be mixed? $$$
Only looking at NOS, not good take outs.
Yes, there are 4 ring (old style) and 3 ring (new style) pistons. Do not mix them though ! They have different weights and would put your engine out of balance.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! That's what came out of mine.
Do the new ones have fire rings?
I've read that you do not need to retorque them and in fact can be detrimental. True?
I've read a lot on here about retorquing, some do and some don't.

Edit: Do you install them dry or add a particular sealer?

Welder1

I've read that you do not need to retorque them and in fact can be detrimental. True?

The fire rings are integral in the gasket. No sealer is used you install dry. You need to make sure the heads are flat and the block is clean. No re- torque is necessary. The torque on the studs depends if you have a TD block. That stands for thick deck. Those torque to 157 ft lbs. I used ARP ultra torque lube on the nuts and washers.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much different than a gas V8.
Heads are being milled at least .001" for a good sealing surface. It is a TD block. Think I'll use engine oil as the TM states.

Thanks for the info.

rustystud

You can use a "Loctite" or "FelPro" gasket sealer designed for heads. I've had good luck with the "Loctite" product. Though you shouldn't really need it if the block deck is finished nice and the heads are properly flat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks