• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine swap on an m35

Gunfreak25

Tim, why don't you upload it to Youtube? Then you can just post up the link here for us to see. :D I only asked for pictures, but man if you put video of your screamin GMC I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Can you say, wet dreams? :beer:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread but I thought this would be a good place to put it...

I rebuilt the engine in my deuce and I still have blowby issues. I hate that it didn't turn out good and It does not make me happy at all. I am toying around with the idea of putting a 4-71 Detroit in my truck if this engine ever pops its cookies. According to the specs, its close to the same weight as the multifuel, N/A version is 160 horsepower and 407 ft/lbs of torque... which is pretty much between LDT and LDS power... but closer to LDS. Rear mounts should be the same as they are SAE and the front mount might need to be fabricated. I would also spring for putting jake brakes on the heads as well. Right now I am just kicking around the idea. I might take one more chance at putting new rings in it, honing the cylinders, new rings and putting it on the dyno to make it grunt for a long time. If I still cant get the engine to not have any blowby, then I'll dump a 4-71 in it and call it a day.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But Jake Brakes..... oh the sweet sound of Jake Brakes! haha! I don't live far from Detroit so it is almost fitting I re-power it with a Detroit.

I do agree a 6BT would be a great engine. More power and higher revving. There was never a Jake Brake for a 5.9, correct?

winfred

heard rumors someone was building one a few years ago but as it won't fit under my dodges hood i didn't pursue, if my multifuel takes a terminal dump a 12v cummins is totally going in

But Jake Brakes..... oh the sweet sound of Jake Brakes! haha! I don't live far from Detroit so it is almost fitting I re-power it with a Detroit.

I do agree a 6BT would be a great engine. More power and higher revving. There was never a Jake Brake for a 5.9, correct?

someoldmoose

Sorry if I am intruding but I also have a powertrain dream. Cummins ISX 12 mated to an Eaton automated ten speed with overdrive. This would be in an M800 series chassis. Love the idea of 60 m.p.h. and still being able to "creep" up any mountain in my path ( well . . . pretty much ).

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard you say you would love to hear a deuce with a Detroit! haha!

My concern with going with more power is the transmission not being able to handle it. an 4-71 N/A is about 160 horse. That would work good in my truck with plenty of power.

My concern is the oil pan on a 4-71. Would it clear the deuce axle? They dont seem to have a truck style oil pan, only a "straight box" style one with no sump visible from the outside.

red

The remains of a medium duty Chevy/GMC truck are parked near my wrecker, has a 4 cyl detroit 2 stroke in it. Truck is a 4x4 model as well.

Think gimpyrobb meant dt466. The earlier mechanical ones are similar power levels to a LDS multifuel, very easy to reliably crank them way up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks