• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine wont rev to 2600 rpm

harleyrkc

Well at least I have several sets of filters here, I just haven't had the time to finish the maintenance on that truck. And on the bright side I got my other truck running today. I found the starter wire broke off about 10" from the starter, and since I was on a roll I decided to get my in tank pump swapped out too.

crazywelder72

i was reading this and i saw that you mention trying to rev to see what the max rpm is in neutral.

Is that something thats safe to do?

will there be a big difference in max rpm in netural vs going on the highway?

crazywelder72

ok... thanks for answering me.

I am trying to "figure things out" and i am TM'exahusted. Hopefully you'll understand my problem if i tell you what ive done.

Let me first start by saying my filters and fuel system is clean,
my fdc is bypassed,

i just installed a pyro up at cylinder2 and i was getting egt temps of 1200˚ easily at only about 45mph on flat ground at around 1800rpm

I turned down the fuel pressure at the 2 jam nuts about 3 flats.

now i have to just barley touch the pedal at start up, before i didnt. (that dosnt bother me)

I took it for a ride up a nice steep hill, held 3rd gear pedal to the floor about 30 mph and egt's didn't exceed 1150˚. (i dont remember the rpms.. possibly around 2k)

i still don't think i will be able to get over 45-50mph on the highway. i will try later today.

it will be interesting to see what my governor is doing, i'll use earmuffs on this one

Everything in the TM is about setting up the injection pump on a test stand not on the truck. I have read about 6 threads on this and droop screws and i still not finding a clear way to adjust low rpm, high rpm, and the droop screw.

G-Force

I would move your pyro sensor down just above the turbo and see what temps you are getting there This is where most all of them that I have seen on this site install the sensor. you could be getting some flame out into the exhaust manifold from #2 cylinder which is giving you false readings.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a tip, ATF - auto trany fluid is a great (as said on here) cleaner for fuel parts, check some other posts referring to adding atf to the tank. It may help clean out some gunk.Hows the air filter?
I would try a gallon of ATF with 1-2 gallons of diesel fuel. Run that through the system on idle hitting the pedal once in a while. You will not believe the difference in performance. Then on fill up add a few quarts of the cheap atf to keep the system clean. This should do the trick.

crazywelder72

I installed it up high because if the temp reads lower down near the turbo then you can still burn up your pistons while you think your temps are safe.
I can add another port and move the thermocouple easily, just not sure if that's what I should yet. I have a hand held gizmo that I can run 2 more thermocouples from, maybe ill tap into the middle cylinder on the rear manifold and also just above the turbo. Then I will have 3 data points, 2 being in similar locations.

crazywelder72

I didnt bother with the wide open rpm check in neutral but when i was out for a blast this evening i was able to hit 2500 rpm's in 2nd gear.

shifting into third i noticed that it started to fall flat around 2000 rpm but was able to get it to 2300 and it started coming back to life.

I still havent adjusted anything futher from yesterdays last adjustments till i get it out on the highway.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you adjusted the valves? I would check to make sure they are right. Lots of adjustments needed on some of the trucks I've worked on.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If I were you, I would follow the LDS trouble shooting guide(TM). It tells you how to test everything from start to finish to make sure you are getting the right amount of power from your motor. It tells you how to do this with the motor in the truck, so you have "real world" numbers and tests to work off of.

thehaas

mine had 2 inches water in tank and fuel filters shot plus air cleaner clogged changed and worked well.menphis truck has a booklet for diagnosing running problems its like drop chart

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks