• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ether start system...... Refill Process?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m925 which is a great runner, almost didn't start today, ambient temperature 37 degrees, cranked a long time. Was wishing it had the cold start kit on it. The deuce I sold had the kit but never needed it no matter the temperature. These Cummins motors are cold blooded SOBs. Can anyone post the Napa part number again here? If you have Soldier B handy, a good way to get a cold start without harming your motor is to have them direct the flame from a propane torch towards the air intake. That heat will get it started quicker than anything!

Ether gets the rap for the puddle of fuel sitting on top of the piston from cranking and cranking with no ignition. Then some ether gets the raw fuel with lots of btu's ignited, lots of excitement and cylinder pressure then! When the St. Lawrence seaway was being built cat d8's and there likes often seized an injection pump from a cold splash of water on a hot close tolerance pump. They were simply driven out with no power on cans of ether. Takes the btu's from fuel to hurt them. Guess you could over rev it though....

The cold start system on my m818 seems to give me mixed results and it could be the 1/3 throttle instruction. I give a 3 second blast directed from the groudnd into the air cleaner, calmly climb in and start without any throttle at all and usually starts right up in 15-20 seconds. I keep it just above an idle until the air warning buzzer goes off and then go about whatever needs doing with not much rpm, just over 1000 to 1200 rpm and gradually work up to full throttle after maybe 10 to 15 minutes.... ...if it needs it! On road it needs it to get rolling over 50 mph. Off road no need to be operating near the governor yet in my experience so far loaded around 65,000 gross combined. But that is me, kind of slow.

Danl

Can someone describe the proper use of the system? Newb here. I always heard using ether to start a diesel was bad.
these old diesel are heater start, I put additive in my fuel to help light off, the new Diesel have glow plugs that messes with the smelling salt, and thay have computer chips that recirk the stack, so the unburnt salt comes back to the stroke and you add more salt to it and your motor vapors locks , new diesel realy can't use smelling salt, But these old cummins natrally asperated rocking Diesel smoking slow rolling kick butt motors love smelling salt:D

Danl

Hey there is a member in classerfide that has some NICE blocks heaters for sale you guys in the cold north should look into a block heater , they realy work good I know I live in maine and deal with the cold all winter long And I like a block heater You have heat in the cab right away on light off its great

Triple C

I went to Napa and they had two bottle types, the 1 inch is the bottle you want. It is $50 at Napa. Don't have a part number but as was stated earlier, just tell them you want a ether bottle and when they ask which size, tell them one inch.

JBmerchantmarine

Hi All, I'm new to the site here at SS , but not so much new to diesels. I would stay away from using ether at all costs , I have to agree with Danl here , block heater for cold weather starting would be the way to go. I also live up in Maine and have seen many a nice engine ruined by someone continually firing ether in the intake all winter on those cold days. The engine will lose compression and become addicted to it. I think I would only in a dire emergency even if there is cold ether start system on the truck. What amount of $$ you would have to lay out for the heater would definitely beat the $$ spent for liner / piston job.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6cc of ether, sprayed at the right time, will not hurt it.

I love the Internet, everyone can post their opinion, and nobody can get the facts straight.

Internet good...

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if a small propane bottle could be adapted to good effect as a substitute for ether. It doesn't get that cold here in the NW.

Any Wild Speculation or Dire Warnings about how it would or wouldn't work?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've discussed that idea before.

The answer is, NO.

JBmerchantmarine

Just trying to help , I know the facts about diesels, no amount of ether is good for them. Sure a little now and then won't destroy it , but it's much better to start an engine that has been warmed rather than cold iron.
basically that's what you're doing if you have to use ether , cold starting it. Warm the engine and it will last you , use ether and start saving to slide new liners and rings in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks