• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

exhaust

flewbyu

The JCW system doesn't come with mufflers. I heard that GL is having an auction on a lot of 35-40 brand new in box exhaust systems for the 1009. I would love to score one of those, but can't possibly use all 40. Anybody heard about these?

jag7720

I just spoke to the guys a Heath Diesel and he told me that the factory exhaust is REALLY bad.
He said the mufflers are huge and inside they are throttled down to about 1.125".

He said GM did this to get the noise down and opening them up would improve your power.

But, he also said that the truck REALLY likes a 2-in-to-1 3" system rather that a dual 2" or 2.5"

AJMBLAZER

I have a civy blazer that had a gas engine in it so I swapped a CUCV 6.2 and 400 trans into it.The truck already had a 3 inch flowmaster exhaust so I bolted the stock 350 crossover pipe to the 6.2 manifolds bolted the exhaust back together and it works great.
Yep, a single 3" will out flow a similarly bent 2.5" dual setup every day. Less surface area in the pipes to cause drag/backpressure.

jag, all I did on Big Ugly was cut and beat off the original mufflers and put some Cherry Bombs in place. Lost probably 60lbs of weight and the mufflers...hah...you couldn't even see a hint of light in one end with the other end directly under a 8' shop light. I immediately noticed a little "seat of the pants" improvement in power. Nothing to go brag about but for about $60-70 worth of Cherry Bombs and clamps it was worth it.

AJMBLAZER

Do a search. There was a Canadian member on here a while back who had a similar setup to mine on his M1009. Stock pipe with replacement Cherry Bombs/glass packs. He had a video or two of his being driven.

I've only ever heard mine from inside...which sounds exactly like stock the engine is so loud you can't hear the exhaust note...and at idle...but at idle all you can really hear is the engine clanking along.

My pipes are crusty but not rotted. For now I just slapped the Cherry Bombs on and when I actually have to do something with them I'll go with a single 3" system like Gibson or Flowmaster has. Maybe if I live somewhere that isn't the ass end of the earth I'll be able to have a shop custom make a single 3" setup...who knows...I can at least hope.:roll:

AJMBLAZER

Yep. Most after market mufflers have offset mufflers like these. Offset inlet/outlet is more common than center/center actually.

Maremont, maker of the genuine Cherry Bombs, has a part number exactly correct for us. I have it on my CarDomain page which you can access through my profile.

I forget where but I found an exhaust site that you put in your vehicle and it gives you options for exhaust and one of them was stock pipe. There were several aftermarket mufflers that would work for us. Even shorter mufflers would work but you'd have to put a bit of pipe in as well.

JohnFire

While we are talking about exhausts how hard is it to change a M1028 over to single. I have been doing the bodywork on my fire company's M1028 utility truck and the exhaust is shot. They asked me today about converting to a single pipe or keep it duals while we have the bed off. They are more concerned about what would be the cheaper way to go.

Hope you don't mind me hopping in on the thread but I figured it was all along the same lines.

AJMBLAZER

Gibson has a 3" single kit that would work...only trouble is the thing is meant to have a cat on it as it's meant for gas trucks. So you'd need a Y pipe and pipe that goes back to the kit.

REALLY nice would be to find a good shop that does pipe bending and just have them do it. Unfortunately if Pottsville, PA is like Traverse City, MI there's no shop worth a damn around. The few places that do "custom work":roll: as they like to call it charge stupid high prices. I could get a mandrel bent high flow exhaust done in San Diego, CA for less than I can get pretty standard "custom" work done here...and here they don't mandrel bend.
Frickin' joke.

JohnFire

There is a place in the next town that I have been told can do mandrel bending. Well at least it sounds like it talking to my dad. He said they load what you need into the computer and then bend your pipe to fit what you need. I will have to go and check tommorrow. I am just trying to keep the cost down for the fire company. They figure one length of pipe and muffler is cheaper than two.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, depends. If the shop can do 3" then it probably isn't that expensive. In San Diego most shops didn't even blink at 3" exhaust pipes. Here the rednecks are like, "gooooolllleeeee that's beeeg!"

Literally a few shops I called didn't even know what mandrel bending was. One told me it didn't make a difference.:roll:

Honestly though, if you don't care about performance...just find a replacement exhaust kit from a parts house and slap some high flow exhaust on. Will probably be cheaper than a single 3" and if you go with a crimp bent 3" exhaust it probably won't flow super great anyways...probably washing out the advantage of the 3".