• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Experince with Sparta WI location

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does anyone have any experience with the GL Sparta location? Any info on loading help for a 5ton there would be appreciated. Im pretty far away and new to this.
Thanks,
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have searched there are a few posts where other members offered help but nothing specific on loading experiences that I could find. I dont want to start pm-ing members that have helped in that area before I think that would be impolite. I am not there to drive it off myself unfortunately. Ideally I would like to find trustworthy diesel shop in the area that could pick it up and do a service/safety check and then I could fly in and drive it back home to CT.
Will

Chain-Saw

I've made quite a few purchases from the Sparta location and have nothing but good things to say about the crew there. Have you called them? Are you planning to pick it up yourself, or hire someone? If you're coming over in person, there are plenty of good folks here on SS that can help you out. If you're hiring a trucker, then you're at the mercy of the trucker, but they move a lot of trucks out of there, so no worries on the GL side... (just my .02 cents.)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tread VERY, VERY carefully to avoid talking about any active auction vehicles.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have searched there are a few posts where other members offered help but nothing specific on loading experiences that I could find. I dont want to start pm-ing members that have helped in that area before I think that would be impolite. I am not there to drive it off myself unfortunately. Ideally I would like to find trustworthy diesel shop in the area that could pick it up and do a service/safety check and then I could fly in and drive it back home to CT.
Will

If you really want a recovery experience then get one from that far away, OR look at all the trucks for sale along the east coast. Two members on here have quite a few trucks for sale almost all the time.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I cannot find a good condition m923a2 or m931a2. I have cash in hand to buy one. I found a 931a2 local but it has a 2010 rebuild date so the guy who has it though he would add value when he filled out the form to get the sf97 he put 2010 as the model year so thats what he got back. A sf97 stating it is a 2010 which is useless because I would get taxed up the wazoo on that.
Will

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cannot find a good condition m923a2 or m931a2. I have cash in hand to buy one. I found a 931a2 local but it has a 2010 rebuild date so the guy who has it though he would add value when he filled out the form to get the sf97 he put 2010 as the model year so thats what he got back. A sf97 stating it is a 2010 which is useless because I would get taxed up the wazoo on that.
Will
You mean to tell me that you can't get that straightened out for less money than buying one in Sparta, WI, having it DOT serviced out there to ensure it is safe to drive back and then flying out and driving it back?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
He seems to be stuck on the 2010 thing it says 2010 on the rebuild tag so thats what it is. If he would fix it I would gladly work something out with him.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a friend who can drive it back for me I can get a dealer plate so it will be road legal. CT allows dealer plates on commercial vehicles as long as there is no load.
Will

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recovered a truck in Sparta. I flew in and took a taxi to Ft McCoy with my suitcase and tools. I had previously made arrangements for a wrecker to move the truck off-site if I couldn't get it running. Fortunately, I didn't need it. I have dealt with GL at a lot of different sites, and all good experiences. However, the experience I had at Sparta was by far the best. They came out in the freezing cold and blowing snow in January and spent about two hours helping me ready my truck for the long drive back to Georgia. I got temporary tags from GA DMV, which are free in GA. It was a long drive back, but great. I also drove a deuce back from Ft Indiantown Gap in PA to Georgia. Don't be afraid to drive the truck back yourself if you are prepared and ready for the unexpected. It's a great adventure. If you call the Sparta site, they will usually give you a heads up about the condition of the truck.

RetiredNavy

A person can get ahold of JBL (Jeff Laumer?) He does inspections, loadouts and repairs on trucks. Has 14 years military experience in repairs. His rates are reasonable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks